Gothic Castle Help Needed

Decorating By martig Updated 14 Sep 2006 , 8:06pm by martig

martig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
martig Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 3:35pm
post #1 of 8

I have been commissioned to make a "gothic castle" wedding cake. By gothic, they mean the historical period, not blood sucking vampire. Anyway, the bride provided me with the following drawing as a guideline. She wants a white chocolate cake with raspberry filling. What is the best medium to use to make the castle walls? Gumpaste, fondant, modeling chocolate, etc... The wedding is October 14, so I have some time to research. I would love to get all the advice I can get. Thanks!!!
LL

7 replies
Cake_Geek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Geek Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 4:07pm
post #2 of 8

Holy crud that's a detailed picture!! Does she really want all those details? Good luck to you and definitely post pictures!!!!

Marksgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marksgirl Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 4:18pm
post #3 of 8

Does she want all the words on it too?..............Just joking icon_lol.gif

Good Luck

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 4:40pm
post #4 of 8

I'm thinking off the top of my head, so...

I think it would depend on how much cake is needed, and or how thick the castle walls need to be. I was thinking why not make the walls cake as well and cover with fondant and then use an impression mate to make the stone look. If the walls are going to be thin, then using a gumpaste fondant mixture would be good. Or, if you have no problems working with chocolate, use that--then at least they could be eaten. Good luck with that--seems like a huge project.

xandra83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xandra83 Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 5:06pm
post #5 of 8

I have a pic of a castle cake in my pics and I used fondant with gum-Tex. I let it dry for 3 weeks. Next time I do this cake, I will only use gumpaste because there were parts that weren't as sturdy as I wanted. I piped all my stones in royal icing. That's a HUGE cake. I would pee my pants if she wants something like that. Good luck.

cakinqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakinqueen Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 11:27pm
post #6 of 8

I personally would use modelling chocolate. If you look under my pictures and see the lingerie bed cake That was modeling chocolate which I did 2 weeks ahead of time so it would dry up. It was still tatsy and edible. You can use white chocolate and color it. This is a huge preject and I can't wait to see the pics when done. But I would start working now on the detail pieces in the modeling chocolate so you can be sur eyou like the outcome. Just do a mini version.
Good luck!

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 11:36pm
post #7 of 8

Allow enough time for this one, it is definitely detailed. Also I hope you are charging her big time. Since I do not know how many people you need to feed I can't help on the size, but from the diagram it will have to be fairly large to get the look she wants. I think a minimum of 24x24 square bottom layered for the base of the cake. Make sure you have a very sturdy bottom, like plywood. This cake will be heavy. I think I would make patterns for the walls, buildings and turrets, color Royal icing and start icing the pieces. The windows can be done also. Then you can put them together with more Royal as the glue, You can probably make one section at a time, providing you have measured correctly, and then place each section on and attach with royal. You could make solid bottoms on all the pieces and use some sort of flat dowel support so that all you would have to do is place on top, but without actually putting it on the cake itself, you of course would have to lift the entire piece up in order to cut the cake, or use something like bc to attach sections and remove one at a time. Have I made any sense from this? Let us see your final work of art. Good Luck.

martig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
martig Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 8:06pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you all so much for your input, but I am not making the cake after all. We are moving instead! It is a good thing so I'm not upset about losing the cake job. And the bride took it very well. God is really blessing us right now. Thanks again for your advice

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%