Doctored Cake Mixes

Decorating By POPCORN Updated 19 Jul 2007 , 12:09pm by evieg

POPCORN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
POPCORN Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 3:30pm
post #1 of 19

hey ladies, need some of your good recipes, i am using dh cake mixes for a wedding cake and would like to know your favorite doctored way of doing this, i have been told that cutting back on water and adding sour cream was a good idea, but how much? and does this cause it to fall in the middle. thanks for your help.

18 replies
sk8gr8md Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sk8gr8md Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 3:48pm
post #2 of 19

My fave every day use chocolate cake is the "Darn Good Chocolate Cake" in the recipes (sans chips). This is actually from the Cake Mix Doctor. These books are great! Definitely check them out. Also in the recipes, check out the White Almond Sour Cream cake as well as the Cake Mix Extender.

Sorry, I'm not too original in my ideas. I just use other people's recipes icon_smile.gif

jessicacourtney1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessicacourtney1 Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 3:59pm
post #3 of 19

Last night i tried to add Sour Cream to a choclate cake, I just changed up the WASC and boo! lol. It fell in the middle and didnt tort well, so if anyone knows a great choc cake (from cake mix) please let me know as well. its has to be dense enough so that I can tort it w/out it falling aprt, thanks. sorry i wasnt any help popcorn

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 4:08pm
post #4 of 19

I had the same experience using sour cream in a DH chocolate cake mix. It sank when it cooled and was dense as heck. It WAS moist though. lol

Yorkiemum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yorkiemum Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 4:09pm
post #5 of 19

I used DH Dark Choc. added an extra egg and a box of chocolate instant pudding. It works well. Good luck!

rcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcs Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 4:16pm
post #6 of 19

Wow, I thought it was just me. Mine did the same thing. I used the Walmart brand of choc. cake mix in the WASC recipe and it fell. It was very dense but tasted good. I went ahead and trimmed the cake down and used it. Told everyone it was a "brownie cake"! Think I'll go back to the extra egg and pudding mix too!

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 4:17pm
post #7 of 19

I only use doctored DH mixes here is what I add:
Make as directed
1 cup each of flour, sugar and sour cream
1 tsp baking powder and vanilla
1/3 tsp salt
1 egg or egg white for white

To the above I add For chocolate mixes I add 1/2 cocoa powder and substitute coffee for the liquid (dosn't make is mocha, just enhances the chocolate flavor.

for strawberry I add one package strawberry Jello and 4 oz pureed sliced strawberries in syrup with as little juice as possible.

You can also sub any flavor creamer for 1/2 of the liquid for any flavor you wish.

HTH

Stephanie

Elizabeth19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elizabeth19 Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 4:20pm
post #8 of 19

For choc cake try the WASC recipe with choc fudge cake mixes, and 6 eggs instead of 8 egg whites... for a little extra fold in some choc chips at right before putting in pans. Very moist, delicious, and yummy. Tortes well and stays together.
I have found BC cake mixes work best with the WASC recipe, if using Pilsbury with pudding in the mix cut back on the oil or the cake will be too moist and sticky. HTH!! icon_smile.gif

jessicacourtney1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessicacourtney1 Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 4:24pm
post #9 of 19

THANK YOU! Last night I thought it was just me! glad to hear someone else has has the same prob, i think i'll stick to the egg and pudding

pottedmeatchunks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pottedmeatchunks Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 4:29pm
post #10 of 19

i make my darn good chocolate cake with a betty crocker mix...maybe that works better? ive made it several times with no problems. it is very dense though.

rcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcs Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 4:36pm
post #11 of 19

smbegg, I take it that your recipe is using 1 cake mix? I think I'll give it a try before going back to the pudding/egg additives. Sometimes, chocolate cake still has that "box" flavor (does that make sense?) I think adding the coffee would help get away from that flavor. I've also tried adding a little bit of cinnamon to chocolate cake which is very good too. Thanks for the recipe....I'll try it!

JennieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennieB Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 4:50pm
post #12 of 19

Here is the "doctered Recipe" that I use for every cake I make. Its wonderful always comes out great no sinking in the middle and its very moist and great for carving! I have used all different cake mix flavors and pudding flavors with it and I use all the egg intsead of just the white! HTH thumbs_up.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1972-65-Durable-Cake-for-3D-and-Wedding-Cakes.html

chele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chele Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 6:24pm
post #13 of 19

I just use the cake mix extender on this site. i have had sooooo many people tell me that i make the best chocolate cake they have ever eaten. It is a nice dense cake and extremley moist.

foots2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foots2 Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 9:06pm
post #14 of 19

I also use the Durable cake recipe and I love it. Everyone who has eaten it says it great! And the WASC cake is yummy too

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 9:16pm
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcs

smbegg, I take it that your recipe is using 1 cake mix? I think I'll give it a try before going back to the pudding/egg additives. Sometimes, chocolate cake still has that "box" flavor (does that make sense?) I think adding the coffee would help get away from that flavor. I've also tried adding a little bit of cinnamon to chocolate cake which is very good too. Thanks for the recipe....I'll try it!

Yes one box. Mine do not taste boxy at all....everyone loves my chocolate cakes!

Stephanie

havingfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havingfun Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 2:02am
post #16 of 19

I have to vote for "Darn Good Chocloate Cake" . It is the best and from a mix. I used it for a 50th, it held up good, and everyone loved it. I just used the scraps to make cake balls. Mixed in Caramel Ameretto Creamer - YYUUUMMMMMMM icon_lol.gif Nothing can be too chocolate. I use the cake extender also with great results. Only use DH so far. WASC is the best.

havingfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havingfun Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 2:03am
post #17 of 19

shoot!!! I tried to proof that spelling - Chocolate! Sorry for the typo!

Jenteach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenteach Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 11:54am
post #18 of 19

I've been using DH devil's food for my chocolate cakes using the WASC recipe. However, instead of 1 C (for one mix) of flour, I add 2/3C of flour, 1/3C cocoa and then follow the rest of the recipe as is. Everyone loves it!

HTH

Jen

evieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evieg Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 12:09pm
post #19 of 19

i made cake of scrath

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%