What Brand/type Of Chocolate Do You Use In Ganache?

Baking By Krisy Updated 30 Mar 2014 , 4:09pm by annmel72

Krisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krisy Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 2:35pm
post #1 of 32

Hi,
Newbie here, never tried ganache before...but want to give the whipped a try.

Thanks for the help!!

Krisy

31 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 2:53pm
post #2 of 32

any good chocolate will work.

I've used hersey and ghiradelli chips (prefer ghiradelli)
can even use dark chocolate chips.

comes down to:

1) what your taste buds like

2) what your pocketbook/wallet can afford! (some of those better chocolates are SO pricey but yummy)

Krisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krisy Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 3:11pm
post #3 of 32

Thank YOU!

Wasn't sure if I could use chips or not.

thumbs_up.gif Thanks again! thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 3:19pm
post #4 of 32

ghiradelli.

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 3:20pm
post #5 of 32

I'm a Ghiradelli fan! I think it makes the best ganache....so smooth!

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 7:27pm
post #6 of 32

for whipped ganache, good chocolate chips work very well.

Don't overwhip your ganache, or it will break and separate. If that happens, you just have to start over-very carefully remelt it.

PaulaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PaulaT Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 7:39pm
post #7 of 32

Love the Ghiradelli chocolate, it seems to be a fav of everyone. icon_wink.gif

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 5:45pm
post #8 of 32

I have also never tried ganache. Does it need to be refrigerated? The recipes I have seen call for whipping cream.

DCHall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DCHall Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 5:52pm
post #9 of 32

I used the Walmart brand chocolate chips the last time I made ganache and it turned out pretty good.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 5:52pm
post #10 of 32

I use Ghirardelli, too. I have a 10 pound bar that I bought at Trader Joe's, which I cut into smaller blocks. I just chop up a block or two into little pieces when making ganache.

I don't know what everyone else uses to chop chocolate, but I have never found anything that works as well as my Alaskan Ulu knife. It just slides through that chocolate as if there was nothing there.

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 6:14pm
post #11 of 32

Ghiradelli is greeeaaat.

I also get the Trader Joe's Brand "Pound Plus" Dark Chocolate quite often. Great Price, tasty dark chocolate.

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 22 Jul 2007 , 8:46am
post #12 of 32

I use anything with a high coco content. Some people like to use chocolate with at least a 70% coco content. I personally find this too bitter and like to use chocolate with a 46% coco content. You should buy a few different brands with different coco contents and see which ones you like! HTH

baka4lyfe20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baka4lyfe20 Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 3:40am
post #13 of 32

I've used Cadbury. Basically, you want to use the kind of chocolate that you would eat out of hand. Just use your favorite brand!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 5:38pm
post #14 of 32

The best you can find.. I use Ghirardelli because it's the best I can get from my grocer. I just made some bittersweet chocolate ganache using Green&Black's organic 70% cacao dark chocolate.. it's yummy, but you have to like bittersweet chocolate. I am using it on homemade eclairs so there plenty of sweet to cut it. I use semi-sweet or a blend of semi and bitter for most applications. It's REALLY good if you dip strawberries in it..

I second the don't overbeat your whipped ganache.. it goes from perfect to a complete mess in no time. icon_smile.gif

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 10:59pm
post #15 of 32

I use the Ghirardelli 60% cocoa bittersweet baking bars that you can find in the baking aisle in the grocery store. thumbs_up.gif
LL

cheezld Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheezld Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 11:14pm
post #16 of 32

I like to use the Peter's Burgundy. It's very dark and very yummy.

Lenore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenore Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 11:18pm
post #17 of 32

I use nestle and anyone who has tried my ganache tells me how good it was. I read a cooking mag that rated chocolates, Hershey was lowest on the list...the pros said it was too chemically tasting. The best was something called sp? schaffren-berger and neste was up there somewhere. Good luck and have lots of fun. Yeah, I did the overwhipping thing on my first try and it was very frustrating. Be careful!

Tawana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tawana Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 11:29pm
post #18 of 32

I use Nestle Chocolatier. It tastes very good and not very expensive. I've also used Ghirardelli. Between the two, I prefer Nestle.

Chericakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chericakes Posted 24 Jul 2007 , 11:35pm
post #19 of 32

The whipped chocolate Ganache on this website is delicous. Has anyone ever done this using
Rich's bettercream in place of the whipping cream?
I am looking for a whipped cream substitute and have the bettercream on order. Never tried it though.
The ganache seems like it will never thicken up when you make it, it took a day or so for me, but then was o.k. to whip it.
On the Ghiradelli 60% chocolate, do you need to add any sugar to the recipe?

FromScratch Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 2:07am
post #20 of 32

No.. don't add any sugar to it. I love dark chocolate and eat 70-80% cacao chocolate plain.. you have to like bittersweet chocolate. I use semi-sweet if I am making it for others. My 6 year old loves dark chocolate too though.. and will eat my 60% chocolate ganache with glee.. LOL.. so you never know. icon_lol.gif

indydebi Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 2:31am
post #21 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

No.. don't add any sugar to it. I love dark chocolate and eat 70-80% cacao chocolate plain.. you have to like bittersweet chocolate. I use semi-sweet if I am making it for others. My 6 year old loves dark chocolate too though.. and will eat my 60% chocolate ganache with glee.. LOL.. so you never know. icon_lol.gif

I grew up on NEstle choc chips, so for the record I like them.

But I had some open bags of Ghiradelli laying around and I was munching them here and there (come on.... open bags of chocolate? icon_eek.gif ). After spending about 4 days coating my taste buds with Ghiradelli bittersweet chocolate, I reached into my Nestle choc chip stash and snacked on a few of those.

OMG .... so nasty after getting used to Ghiradelli! I could taste the sugar rather than tasting the chocolate! What a weird sensation, especially since I love (uh, past tense, loved!) Nestle!

So be careful.... good chocolate is VERY addicting!!

indydebi Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 2:33am
post #22 of 32

(edited to remove dupl post)

FromScratch Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 2:49am
post #23 of 32

Gosh indydebi ain't that the truth!! Once you go good you never go back! LOL I use Ghirardelli chips in my chocolate chip cookies too. I wish they made mini chips though because I don't like big chips as much, but it's a small price to pay for the better flavor. I am almost scared to try the really good ones.. I'd have to have my kids snacking on Vahlrona all the time.. hehehehe icon_wink.gif I will get some someday though..

indydebi Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 2:51am
post #24 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

Gosh indydebi ain't that the truth!! Once you go good you never go back!

I've thought of that! It's scary on how my overhead on choc chip cookies is about to go up! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 4:32am
post #25 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chericakes

On the Ghiradelli 60% chocolate, do you need to add any sugar to the recipe?

No, I've never had to add sugar. Whenever someone orders ganache from me, I offer them a dark chocolate or milk chocolate ganache. I've never had anyone ask for the milk chocolate version, so I always use the 60% cacao baking bar. It's definitely bittersweet (which I don't care for), but I always get rave reviews. icon_smile.gif In case you're interested, here's the ganache recipe that I use: http://www.joyofbaking.com/ganache.html. I don't add the liquor, but I do add a couple drops of Lorann orange oil. It adds a very subtle orange essence, and it really brings out the chocolate flavor. thumbs_up.gif

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 8:34am
post #26 of 32

I am fortunate to have found a Chocolate Store here (yes, that's right. Kansas, USA) and I use Callebaut or Guittard I have also used a Hawaiian Chocolate. Before that I used the Ghirardelli 60% bars. I know with the pourable ganache you need to use less cream for milk choc or white choc, so I don't know if that will affect the whipped ganache.

My fave filling is Chocolate IMBC made with Cacao Barry cocoa powder, it's great to fill and frost with.

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 8:57am
post #27 of 32

ghirradeli chips from sams club....ummmmm...

Shasha2727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shasha2727 Posted 13 Sep 2013 , 7:42pm
post #28 of 32

If you have access to a good baking supply, by all means try Van Leer, Cacao Barry or Barry Callebaut.  Ghirardelli & Valhrona are also very good. I've found small bars at ALDI with the high cacao content you need for good ganache, in white, milk & dark chocolate very reasonably priced; the cacao content is key.  Watch the YouTube video's by InspiredbyMichelle on ganache; she's super! 

akrainis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akrainis Posted 14 Sep 2013 , 12:23am
post #29 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lenore 

I use nestle and anyone who has tried my ganache tells me how good it was. I read a cooking mag that rated chocolates, Hershey was lowest on the list...the pros said it was too chemically tasting. The best was something called sp? schaffren-berger and neste was up there somewhere. Good luck and have lots of fun. Yeah, I did the overwhipping thing on my first try and it was very frustrating. Be careful!

The funny thing about this is Scharfenberger is owned by Hershey. 

But I agree, it is soooo yummy. 

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 14 Sep 2013 , 1:13am
post #30 of 32

I usually use the ghirradeli but since my family is not big fans of dark chocolate I actually do a mix of milk chocolate & dark chocolate.  Actually make my in the food processor. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%