Decorating By Katie-Bug Updated 22 Jul 2011 , 2:04pm by SmuggledSugar

Katie-Bug Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 3:16am
post #1 of 7

I recently found that my local Hobby Lobby has started to carry bottles of LorAnns?(I think that's it)- the one that makes the expensive small bottle sof flavors, anyway they only have white, brown, purple, red, green, and yellow, but if you read on the back they say that they can be used in airbrush machines! The best part--they are only $1.99 and are a nice size bottle.

I have an airbrush system from Wal-Mart, only 49.99! It came from the model car aisle, I called the company and talked with a sales rep. and they said it should work and this week I tried it with the cheap bottles I purchased and they both worked!!! I'm so what next... icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
CakeDiva73 Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 3:28am
post #2 of 7

So you used it and it worked with the food grade colors? Do you have any pics of the cakes you tried? I would love to see, if you have a picture... I really want to get an airbrush and have a 10 pack of the colors, I just need the machine icon_lol.gif

Katie-Bug Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 3:31am
post #3 of 7

Yes the model car machine worked fine! I posted a picture of the two I did, nothing creative or earth shattering, but it was my first try at holding one!
I forgot to ask, I know that Americolor makes special airbrush colors, but do the regular work? This makes me wonder?

TexasSugar Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 4:35am
post #4 of 7
Originally Posted by culinarycreations

I forgot to ask, I know that makes special , but do the regular work? This makes me wonder?

The 'regular' ones are thick. If you try thinning them down you run the risk of clumps getting into your airbrush.

Katie-Bug Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 11:40am
post #5 of 7

True, they are thick. I also have coloring from BakeryCrafts, hot quite sure of the brand, but it is thin. I may contact the company and see about them. I hate to have to buy an entire line of extra colors, since I'm not sure how much I'll even use it. icon_sad.gif not sure that I'm quite ready for anything very detailed...

cakearoni Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 9:16pm
post #6 of 7

Just got back from cake camp and took an airbrush course with Roland Winbeckler he said the difference between regular colors and airbrush colors are the 'fibers' in the regular color--thats what makes them thicker. Just looking at the colorinf myself its obvious its a different composition that makes up the color. I imagine the regular color will clog your machine or at the very least have it working sub-par

SmuggledSugar Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 2:04pm
post #7 of 7

Is there a difference between a 'food grade' airbrush set and a plain, all-purpose airbrush set? Does anyone know? The food grade ones seem so much more expensive than a standard one.... Thanks in advance!

Quote by @%username% on %date%