Sunflower Cake/cupcakes

Decorating By Danishwiz Updated 19 Jul 2007 , 3:05pm by cupcakes

Danishwiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danishwiz Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 1:08pm
post #1 of 11

Hi everyone! I want to make a Sunflower cake and cupcakes for a gathering I am having this weekend.
I am going to use the leaf tip for the yellow petals and the grass tip for the brown center (sorry I don't know all the tip numbers off hand). It looks like the yellow petal start from the outside and work their way in. If anyone has done one of these cakes can you please give me so tip.

Thanks!

10 replies
NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 2:06pm
post #2 of 11

Here is a link to the Witlon website showing how to do sunflowers=) Jen

http://www.wilton.com/decorating/basic/sunflower.cfm

Danishwiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danishwiz Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 3:53pm
post #3 of 11

Thanks for the link Jen but I ment that I want to make the entire top of the cake a big sunflower.

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 4:00pm
post #4 of 11

I have a cupcake book that has a sunflower cupcake in it and she uses chocolate sprinkles for the center of the sunflower. It looks really cute and it's less work. icon_wink.gif If you're doing a large surface on the main cake I probably wouldn't use the sprinkles (depends on whether you like to eat them or not) but who says you have to do them the same? Good luck.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 1:57am
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danishwiz

Thanks for the link Jen but I ment that I want to make the entire top of the cake a big sunflower.

You could consider using fondant to make the petals of the cake. Cut out The petals and layer them. Then use beads or icing for the center or chocolate chips or a combination of both.

getfrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
getfrosted Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 2:14am
post #6 of 11

I did cookies so it would be the same process. I used leaf tip and star tip for the inside.

HTH
LL

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 2:31am
post #7 of 11

You would use a large leaf tip and start in the center and work your way out.. I don't know how big you will need it, but tip #366 would probably give you a nice large 'petal'. I'd make a nice large center with a round tip.. start in the middle and go around and coil it until it's as big as you need it to be. Use the leaf tip to make two layerers petals on the outer edge then use your grass tip to go over the circle you made for the center to give it texture.. that's how I'd do it any way.. thumbs_up.gif

atvmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
atvmom Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 2:31am
post #8 of 11

I used mini chocolate chips for my centers. Easy to do, just use a little spoon and poor them on after you've completed the petals.

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 2:33am
post #9 of 11

I did one too. I realized after it was done that the centers needed to be larger, but maybe it will give you some ideas.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=52202

feverfixer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
feverfixer Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 3:26am
post #10 of 11

I have some sunflower cupcakes in my photos. I used the leaf tip for petals and sprinkles for the center, but the grass tip should work well.
Diane

cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakes Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 3:05pm
post #11 of 11

I also have a sunflower cupcake in the gallery. Hope that helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%