Cake Balls?

Baking By Feefs Updated 18 Sep 2006 , 3:44pm by caryl

Feefs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Feefs Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 8:30am
post #1 of 32

Hi,
Just wondering if any one can shed some light on these little things. I read in a previous forum thread about someone making them and they were cracking/crumbling. When she described them they sounded yummy!

Can anyone give exact instructions as to how make them... maybe even have a pic of the finished product?

Thanks heaps

Fi

31 replies
TandTHarrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TandTHarrell Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 9:19am
post #2 of 32

yes u can type in cakeball in the gallery search and some should pop up......

mis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mis Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 1:56pm
post #3 of 32

Just take your left over baked cake and crumble and add either a little liquid or some buttercream. I added buttercream to mine and they were so good. I used a snickerdoodle cake with cinnimon icing. Then roll into balls and dip in chocolate. HTH Here's mine:
LL

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 2:04pm
post #4 of 32

OMG, what a coincidence! I just made my first batch last night! I went to the recipe section and printed out the recipe for cake balls and followed it word for word. Next time I will add either some nuts or cocoanut as well as the mini chocolate chips. They were a little too "wet" if you know what I mean but I think by adding some nuts that will take care of that problem. Also dipped them in Wilton's candy melts and let them sit in the fridge until they were set. OMG! Soooo good. I can see this with a spice cake and nuts and cocoanut with chocolate chips dipped in white chocolate candy melts. Have fun thumbs_up.gif

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 2:23pm
post #5 of 32

Here is the recipe I have. It's from cookieman. It's really good. HTH, Kristen
2 cups crumbled cake scraps
2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa powder (if cake scraps are not chocolate based)
1/4 cup chopped almonds (or any other nut you like, or mini-chocolate chips, or M&Ms, you get the idea!)
2 generous shots of amaretto (or any other liqueur you may like, a good non-alcohol substitution is any flavored coffee creamer)

Put all ingredients in a mixer and mix on medium speed until the ingredients form a ball. If the mixture seems too dry, add a bit more of the liquid used to make it moist enough to form into balls.

I use a tablespoon cookie scoop to make the balls uniform in size. Roll the scooped dough in your hands to form a nice smooth ball. Allow cake balls to set on a parchment lined cookie sheet for a couple of hours, then dip them in chocolate(following) or roll them in confectioners' sugar or cocoa.

Melt 1 lb. of candy melts and add approximately a tablespoons of crisco to make it a bit more smooth. Also, put the container (in my case, a pyrex measuring cup) of melted candy melts in a very hot (I use almost boiling) water bath to keep the chocolate fluid. Dip balls into the chocolate using a spoon and a dipping fork (in my case, a plastic fork with the two middle tines cut out) Don't worry if the dipped balls have a "foot" at the base after drying. You can break some off after they have hardened and once they are in the little cake liners, no one will notice. Also, you can decorate the tops with just about anything, sprinkles, candy confetti, chopped nuts, etc. before they dry. Or after they've dried, pipe designs with royal icing or melted candy melts of different colors!

acgref Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acgref Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 10:25pm
post #6 of 32

I have a questions about that recipe...when you say 2 cups of cake scraps...how packed are they? Do you pack them firmly or do you not pack at all? I'd really like to try these and not screw up on something so simple!

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 10:36pm
post #7 of 32

you don't have to pack them really tight - one tip - I tried making them w/ a REALLY moist cake andd they turned out into mush-puddles - not balls! So make sure your cake scraps or your cake recipe aren't extremely moist when you try this recipe. Good luck! They're fun!

I have a question to if anyone can answer - what do you make this in? what kind of mixer? your KA? And do you use the beater or the paddle attachment? I've been putting them in a food processor.... I just can't fit that much in there so I'd like to be able to do a larger recipe. icon_smile.gif

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 10:56pm
post #8 of 32

If my cake scraps are moist I just add less liquid and I mix it all by hand so I get a "feel" for how wet I want them to be.

mis Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 11:42pm
post #9 of 32

I didn't measure mine. I just crumbled my cake that broke (that was about an 8") and added icing a little bit at a time. I mixed it by hand till I was able to form a ball. Put them in the freezer for awhile. Then melted chocolate chips and dipped them, then sprinkled toppings on them. HTH

Feefs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Feefs Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 11:46pm
post #10 of 32

Thanks everyone so much for your help. My sons bday is fast approaching and am always looking for something different to serve up! Will definitely give them a go, and when I've finished I'll post a pic of the success - or disaster - whichever happens!

Thanks again.
Fi

wehmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wehmom Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 12:03am
post #11 of 32

This sounds great. Can't wait to try it. I am a Wilton Instructor and I am always having student asking what to do with the left over after we level our cakes. This is a great idea. Can't wait to share it with my students.

FancyLayne23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FancyLayne23 Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 1:53pm
post #12 of 32

I made my first ones last week after a post. I loved them and so did my family. Heres a photo of mine. I suggest these to anyone that wants something good. I used chocolate chips....yummy.
LL

imartsy Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 2:33pm
post #13 of 32

Do you all always make your cake balls chocolate? I had some spice cake scraps left over and was trying to think of a good combination of flavors - I was thinking white chocolate - but then I have a bunch of choc. ganache left over from last week and I thought maybe I could melt that down and cover them with that - I just didn't know if I should also flavor them chocolate or just leave it as a spice flavor.... what do you all think?

FancyLayne23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FancyLayne23 Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 2:56pm
post #14 of 32

I have only used this recipe. I just got it last week but different flavor balls would be something I'm willing to try. These were so good.

mis Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 3:08pm
post #15 of 32

I used snickerdoodle cake but dipped them in melted chocolate chips.

imartsy Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 6:45pm
post #16 of 32

I didn't see an answer to this so I thought I'd ask again:

I have a question to if anyone can answer - what do you make the cakeballs in? what kind of mixer? your KA? And do you use the beater or the paddle attachment? I've been putting them in a food processor.... I just can't fit that much in there so I'd like to be able to do a larger recipe

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 6:48pm
post #17 of 32

I use the paddle on my KA if there is a huge batch...otherwise, I just crumble the cake into a smaller mixing bowl and mix with a spoon.

rajinaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rajinaren Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 8:17pm
post #18 of 32

I just use a normal mixer to mix the cake. It comesout awesome.
LL

mlparker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlparker Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 8:37pm
post #19 of 32

I got the recipe for mine from Yellowjacket on this website. They are sooooo goood!!! icon_biggrin.gif Thanks so much to yellowjacket for sharing. I have made a few batches and have kind of come up with the formula that works best for me.
I like to use a regular BC cake mix in triple chocolate fudge. You can use any flavor you want and just play with the flavorings. Bake it in 2- 8 or 9" round pans. Allow to cool completely. Crumble one layer (1/2 of a baked box cake) into a bowl and add about 4 tablespoons of liquid (give or take. I have used Kahlua and Amarretto and hazelnut syrup). Toss cake mix and liquid together to distribute the liquid evenly. Then melt approximately 4 oz of chocolate candy melts and pour over this mixture. You can use a spoon but I prefer to mix by (very clean) hands so I can feel the texture and "wetness". You can add little bits of liquid flavoring or chocolate if they need to be wetter. I find that I easily get a nice ball of "dough" that holds together with the above combo.
Pinch off uniform amounts or use spoon or watermelon baller to get uniform sizes. Roll into nice balls onto parchment or waxed paper. Allow to set in fridge for a few minutes until they are more firm. Melt more chocolate candy melts over low heat or in microwave and use a toothpick to skewer it and dip in chocolate. Place back on waxed paper to set up.
Drizzle any other melts onto tops for decoration or sprinkle with nuts or other fun stuff before they are set.
I find that these get even better if they sit overnight in the fridge. The flavors all marry togehter, and let me tell you, the alcohol is more flavorfull after a night in the fridge!

They are truly a taste sensation. Wouldn't a tower of these be fun for a "wedding cake". They are so cute and "poppable" you just can't stop!

Hope this turns out as well as it has for me. L-L-L-L OVE these! thumbs_up.gificon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gif

candy177 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candy177 Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 8:21pm
post #20 of 32

So I bookmarked this page and finally made mine today. They look like little truffles! icon_smile.gif I think next time, I'll make them larger. My cake scraps were so moist, I made a triple batch....and only needed enough liquid for one. I used Frangelico in a marble cake...although they taste pretty chocolatey and they are sooo yummy!

My question...what do we call these delights to our customers? "Cake Balls" just sounds soooo...unrefined! LOL Maybe something along the lines of bon bons? Cake truffles? Cake bites?
LL

mis Posted 14 Sep 2006 , 8:41pm
post #21 of 32

They look good. I've read people refer to them as cake truffles. I don't have any customers. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif I am learning and make for fun right now. I like cake bites also. HTH

mariecar6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariecar6 Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 3:43am
post #22 of 32

I was wondering what cake balls were and thanks to all of you, now I know. What a temptation!
Marie

mariecar6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariecar6 Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 3:44am
post #23 of 32

I was wondering what cake balls were and thanks to all of you, now I know. What a temptation!
Marie

candy177 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candy177 Posted 16 Sep 2006 , 12:54am
post #24 of 32

I've been calling them cake truffles - took them to both hubby's and my work and everyone LOVED them!

Question - would you give this (or other) recipe out to people? After all, they could be potential customers but if they can make the product, they won't order from you....then again, it's just cake balls. LOL

angelak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelak Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 3:18am
post #25 of 32

Do these need to be stored in the refrigerator or can they be stored at room temperature if using liquor and dipped in chocolate?

pooker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pooker Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 7:07pm
post #26 of 32

I made some yesterday to take to a party. Wasn't sure how good they were, until people couldn't leave them alone! One lady called them truffles, and I told her they were cake balls. She giggled and told me to call them truffles - more $! icon_lol.gif I like the "cake truffle" name!

Mine do come out super moist - so I have to watch the amt of liquid/bc I use. I dipped mine in chocolate chips and put a tiny flower on it!

KellyKrocker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellyKrocker Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 7:23pm
post #27 of 32

I have been playing around with thses as well. I haven't used liquer yet, sounds good. I just bake a cake in a 13 x 9 pan and when it has cooled a little, I add a complimentary flavor of icing until it is a stiff dough consistency. I then do as others, ball them up, freeze. But I dip mine in Chocolate Bark b/c it is so smooth.

DO you think I could add liquer to this mixture? Could ya'll share some combos you have tried? Here are some pix of mine.
LL

KellyKrocker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellyKrocker Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 7:31pm
post #28 of 32

Oh, I forgot to say that I like to call them Itty Bittys b/c they are so cuteicon_smile.gif

I've added another pic to share
LL
LL

fourangelsmommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fourangelsmommie Posted 17 Sep 2006 , 7:37pm
post #29 of 32

They don't have to be chocolate unless you want them to be. I've made strawberry, rocky road, turtles, pumpkin spice, apple cinnamon, etc.

Just fix according to Cookieman's directions (with or without the chocolate/coco powder) and pour into a bowl. Add whatever other ingredients you want like mini marshmallows, butterscotch chips, etc. and mix by hand, not in the blender. Then form into balls and dip away or roll in powdered sugar.

Sorry, no pics because once I fix them they are GONE before I can get a pic.

lonestarstamper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lonestarstamper Posted 18 Sep 2006 , 5:47am
post #30 of 32

I tried these for the first time tonight and used some lemon cake scraps. I added pecans because that's what I had, some cocoa powder and triple sec (I love anything chocolate orange flavored). I did use the blender though and what a mess! Next time I'll mix by hand. They tasted good but were really mushy so I dropped them from a cookie scoop onto parchment and put them in the freezer. They frirmed up some and then I rolled them into balls. When I went to dip them in melted chocolate I created a bigger mess. So I thought well, I'll just pour the chocolate over them. By this time they were soft again and flattened out. My husband came in the kitchen at that time and tasted one of "good" ones and promptly spit it into a napkin. I didn't know he doesn't like liquor flavored desserts (he likes to drink though). So, the flattened ones we decided to call Cake Turds. Nice huh? Actually I'm throwing them away and will start over when I make a cake this week. BTW, if you take orders for these what would you charge?

Yvette

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%