Pics. Of Cake In & Out Of Mold What Went Wrong?????

Decorating By notjustcake Updated 10 Sep 2006 , 6:53pm by Bettycrockermommy

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 2:48am
post #1 of 17

icon_mad.gif What did I do wrong? The cake did not rise much the knife came out dry it cooked for a while but either I did something wrong or the the batter wasn't enough although a double recipe would be too much well here it is for you to see if may be you can tell me if this is how this cake is supposed to look like there is no cake on the wheels!!!!!
LL
LL

16 replies
cakesbybert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybert Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 2:54am
post #2 of 17

Did you use a cake mix or make from scratch?

TheCakeSmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeSmith Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 2:54am
post #3 of 17

That happened to me the first time I baked for my wiggles car. I ended up using two box mixes and it was just enough. For some reason though I always have to use ALOT more batter than the recipe calls for. *shrug* I almost always use the extender now because it save on mixes.

cakesbybert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybert Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 2:56am
post #4 of 17

If that is a wilton pan - most character cakes only take one box mix.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 2:56am
post #5 of 17

Did you measure your batter? The pan says it takes 6 cups or so of batter and I always overfill a little to make sure it gets tall enough, I can always have cake scrapes. icon_twisted.gif
I know that it's not supposed to be that low but I don't bake from scratch so I don't know if it's your recipe or not.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 2:57am
post #6 of 17

Is that the cruiser cake? If it is, the directions said that you needed 6 cups of batter which is a bit more than a regular cake mix or recipe.

notjustcake Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 3:05am
post #7 of 17

I used the durable cake for 3d and wedding cakes from this site.
It calls for 1 DH yellow mix or white
4 egg whites
1/2 cup water
1/3 vegetable oil
a small pkg of instant pudding mix
1 cup sour cream

I did not measure the batter, this is a Wilton pan I took the cake out of the mold it has up to half a tire I guess we can always cut it and just eat and try again tomorrow

notjustcake Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 3:10am
post #8 of 17

Here's the pics. of the cake out of the mold I'm glad it came right out!!!!!! That's what had me worried the most
LL
LL

TandTHarrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TandTHarrell Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 11:24am
post #9 of 17

yeah i would have added more batter and just used the rest for cupcakes or something..heres a bump for u

notjustcake Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 1:25pm
post #10 of 17

That it's exactly what I was thinking about doing using the extra batter for like a little cake but since I'm making icing anyways cupcakes sounds like an easier thing to do and my DD can take them to school for lunch, one cupcake that is, the cake itself is gone I've eaten half of it between last night and this morning and everytime I walk by it, it is pretty good I really like this recipe. Thank you all for your help I'm sorry I'm such a mess

Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 1:35pm
post #11 of 17

I find for those kind of pans, that recipe is a bit too heavy/dense. A full pkg of pudding, plus 1 cup of sour cream is pretty heavy, especially with just egg whites. I'd use 1/2 pkg of pudding and 1/2 or 3/4 cup sour cream and cut the oil back to 1/4 cup. A cake with egg whites is usually pretty light in texture, so the other ingredients weight it down. Does it have to be pure white? If not, I'd go with at least 1 whole egg with the other 3 whites. Just my humble opinion.

carolxyz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolxyz Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 1:51pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaSue

I almost always use the extender now because it save on mixes.

Would you please explain, what is "the extender"? Thank you!

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 2:03pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolxyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaSue

I almost always use the extender now because it save on mixes.

Would you please explain, what is "the extender"? Thank you!

Here is a link to the recipe for the "extender":
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Recipes&sort=recipename&sort_dir=ASC&op=search&chname=X&chingredients=X&searchtext=extender&cat_id=-1

Momof3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof3boys Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 4:21pm
post #14 of 17

I've made about 4 of those but I always used a pound cake mix, only one box. I didn't measure out the number of cups (this was a few years ago when I knew nothing about cake decorating icon_wink.gif )

It looks great out of the pan!

Edited to add: Now that I think about it I think I might have used 2 pound cake mixes.

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 4:28pm
post #15 of 17

The cake looked great when you took it out of the pan. I'd have baked a small sheet cake to go under it and trimmed it to fit the bottom of the car. I've done three or four of these and I usually overfill the pan so I can level the cake while the cake is still in the pan.

Deanna

JulieBugg2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieBugg2000 Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 4:29pm
post #16 of 17

I remember having to use more than one mix when I did my car cake a while back, but I don't remember if it was 1.5 or a full 2. icon_redface.gif

I'm the worst person in the world for overfilling a cake pan though, lol. I always have to put a drip tray underneath the pans to catch the extras!

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 6:53pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuchCake

The cake looked great when you took it out of the pan. I'd have baked a small sheet cake to go under it and trimmed it to fit the bottom of the car. I've done three or four of these and I usually overfill the pan so I can level the cake while the cake is still in the pan.

Deanna

This is what I would do also. Maybe decorate the sheet cake to look like a road the car is on?

Just a thought. Good luck!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%