Swirls On Cakes

Decorating By SweetM Updated 17 Jul 2007 , 8:25pm by shoup_family

SweetM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetM Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 7:43pm
post #1 of 7

Does anyone have any ideas on how to make a swirl pattern for the sides of cakes? I need several different sizes and I could never free hand that.
Thanks -

6 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 7:53pm
post #2 of 7

I can think of a couple...
I used bent floral wire as a pattern, leaving a piece sticking out for a handle. That worked fairly well.

You could can make an impression with stamps. Craft stores now have set of stamps that are a plastic-like material that will stick to glass or acrylic. they come in lots of patterns and sizes. Carol Webb or Oregon Ices put them on a glass jar tohave a rounded impression to rotat around the cake.

You could also use a stencil-one you buy or cut yourself.

SugarMoonCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMoonCakeCo Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 7:57pm
post #3 of 7

look on ebay - people sell impression mats for all kinds of swirls, diamonds & other designs on them...inexpensive - $8-10 approx.

BeckySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeckySue Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 8:01pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Quote:

I used bent floral wire as a pattern, leaving a piece sticking out for a handle. That worked fairly well.

What a great idea!! I tried to use a stamp on a cake I made last week, but I had to push really hard to get it to mark the fondant. When I pushed like that, it "bubbled" the fondant and scared the crap out of me icon_eek.gif so I freehanded the rest.
I never thought I could freehand either, but I HAD to finish the cake - so you do what needs to be done. I am pleased with how it came out and I am sure you could do it too!!

Here is a pic of the scrollwork:
LL

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 8:11pm
post #5 of 7

Very nice effect. the cake looks great!

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 8:11pm
post #6 of 7

Wilton sell a set of sort of cutters that are in lots of different swirl shapes - you press them in and then either paint the indentations or pipe over them.

shoup_family Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shoup_family Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 8:25pm
post #7 of 7

Absolutely beautiful cake. You did a great job freehanding.. pshaw you didn't need a marker. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%