Mint Buttercream? Anyone Tried It...

Decorating By jessicacourtney1 Updated 23 Oct 2008 , 12:15am by Ariginal

jessicacourtney1 Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 7:24pm
post #1 of 12

has anyone tried the mint buttercream, i have my very first REAL order for a cake next week! Anyhow the little boy wants Choc Cake w/ mint icing(cakes going to be covered in fondant) however I want a really KNOCK OUT icing, but not something overpowering can anyone tell me if they have tired it?

11 replies
WendyB Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 7:28pm
post #2 of 12

I have often used mint icing with chocolate cake. I just use mint extract in place of the vanilla extract. Obviously the amount of flavor is a real personal preference thing, but I figure one for one substitution is a good place to start.

Doug Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 7:30pm
post #3 of 12

yes..

hint -- make a day ahead at least as I've found many flavors "develop" over the course of time and mint seems to be one of them...

a little goes a LONG way

so follow the Less is More dictum -- start w/ less than you think you will need.

and I particularly like a buttermint flavor. My recipe calls for 1TBS of flavoring -- so I'd probably do 1tsp of mint and 2tsp of butter to start -- knowing I could add more later to boost the flavor -- but later would be at least a day later.

jessicacourtney1 Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 8:11pm
post #4 of 12

doug that buttermint sounds great! i think i will try it! if they want the cake friday (the party is sat) what all can I do ahead of time, I know i can make my MMF ahead, but is there anything else?

kelleym Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 9:09pm
post #5 of 12

You can also substitute Peppermint Schnapps for some or all of the liquid in the icing recipe. If you wanted a peppermint buttercream filling, crush up candy canes or starlite mints, mix them with the buttercream, then use that in between the layers. This is sooooo goooood with chocolate cake!

Doug Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 9:21pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicacourtney1

doug that buttermint sounds great! i think i will try it! if they want the cake friday (the party is sat) what all can I do ahead of time, I know i can make my MMF ahead, but is there anything else?

bake cakes and freeze
make the MMF
make the buttercream (at least a day so the flavor develops)
make decorative froo-froo.

cshelz Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 10:22pm
post #7 of 12

I have not tried nor made it, but it sounds YUMMY! icon_lol.gif

gr8cakemaker Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 9:59pm
post #8 of 12

hmm...this sounds PERFECT for a cake for my mom. She LOVES mint chocolate chip icecream and I think this would do quite nicely!

RobzC8kz Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 10:14pm
post #9 of 12

I use it all the time! I also mix mini chocolate chips into it! With Devil's Food cake it's awesome!!

Ariginal Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 10:27pm
post #10 of 12

mmmm this all sounds so yummy... i have been trying to come up with a filling for my daughters cake and now i tempted to try this one YUMMMMMYYYYY...

any ideas on a lime filling to go with a vanilla cake?.. thanks

RobzC8kz Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 12:04am
post #11 of 12

I have a cheater lime filling... Take the cream cheese filling (in the tube) and mix some lime flavoring (not juice) and a bit of green...it comes out gooooooood!

Ariginal Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 12:15am
post #12 of 12

Thanks robzc8kz,,, i hope i can find something like that here i will check out my supermarket thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%