Just Wondering...how Many Nurses Here????

Decorating By specialcakesbymommy Updated 20 Jun 2007 , 4:51am by noley

kidsnurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kidsnurse Posted 14 May 2007 , 3:26am
post #61 of 89

bethola, I knew I had a kindred spirit in you, now I know why, NURSING!

aidee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aidee Posted 14 May 2007 , 3:33am
post #62 of 89

I'm not a nurse yet, but i'm working very hard to get there, i'am currently on my second year of nursing program and still have two more to go can't wait to make my last step I'm constantly daydreaming about my graduation cake!!!!!!so if you have any ideas please share, i have plenty of time to practice!

FatAndHappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatAndHappy Posted 14 May 2007 , 3:33am
post #63 of 89

Yeah for NURSES!!!!!

I'm not a nurse but my husband is for 10+ year. He is a critical care float which means he does ICU, CCU, PICU and NICU! Or he is the hospital whore as we lovingly refer to him as. He can change to any of those floor in 1 16 hour shift! Nights no less!!! I have all the respect in the world for you all - you have the hardest job on earth!

Did I say his mom, 2 cousins, 1 aunt, and our best friends daughter are also nurses? Is it in the blood???

vbeascochea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vbeascochea Posted 14 May 2007 , 3:43am
post #64 of 89

Wow!!! I can't believe how many nurses are here! Great! I've been nursing for 7 years. I work in a level III NICU and am pursuing my Masters in order to become an NNP!!! Love the challenge of these neonates! I've been dabbling in cake decorating for about 17 years, not great at it, but enjoy it!!

eneq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eneq Posted 14 May 2007 , 3:52am
post #65 of 89

another nurse here!

graduated with my RN/BSN 10 yrs ago. time sure flies! worked L&D before i quit 2 yrs. ago. i'm staying home right now to raise my kids but i'm really itching to go back...i love being a nurse, but i love being with my kids more icon_biggrin.gif . i miss work though- it was the best place to try new recipes. coworkers were always more than happy to dig into cake and pastries.

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 14 May 2007 , 3:58am
post #66 of 89

I too am an RN with a BSN. I went back to school in 1983 to get my BSN. I already had a bachelors in Home Economics and an Associates in Food Management but I had a 4 yr old and a brand new baby when my husband left us. I had to do something because what I was doing wasn't going to keep us in a house with food and clothing. So now 20 years later my kids are grown and today I watched my daughter get her Masters degree in Nursing...she is now a Pediatric Nurse Practitioner....plus she is getting married in 3 weeks..

I work in Neuro Critical Care 24 bed unit at Methodist Hospital (level 1 trauma center) in Indianapolis. Several of my collegues in ICES are nurses also....great stress relief.

Also for all of you out there that are putting your school on hold til your kids are grown...DO IT NOW....my kids were 4 and 3 months old when I went back for my RN. I also worked full time as a restaurant manager too. Yes it is hard but you really learn time management skills...and "that which does not kill you makes you stronger"... icon_lol.gif

happymomto5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
happymomto5 Posted 14 May 2007 , 7:08am
post #67 of 89

I am a pediatric RN at a local hospital. I have been an RN for 27 years. I am just now getting a chance to develop my interest in cake-decorating. I have so much to learn, but CakeCentral is a great help! I think RN's would be good at cakes. We are all about being precise and careful, and with our alternative work schedules, having several available days in a row to do a cake is quite feasible.

laweymers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laweymers Posted 14 May 2007 , 8:50am
post #68 of 89

Nurses are always creative! I've been a RN for 14 years. Mostly worked L&D or Special Care Nursery. For the last 1 1/2 years I've been working on a unit for high risk pregnant women......a lot of preterm labor, incompetant cervixes, previas, partial abruptions, diabetes, asthsma.....and the list goes on! My hospital is the only one around that has this specialty area. I love it....I'm at work right now!! (My patients are sleeping!) I love to decorate cakes......and a host of other creative arts! I love CC for all the great advice, recipes, ideas, and wonderful people you "meet" via the internet. This forum question sure sparked the responses. Glad to hear of the multitudes of RN's and family members out there too! CC is our therapy when we feel the need for care!
Laura icon_biggrin.gif

harleyjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
harleyjo Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 8:37pm
post #69 of 89

Just stumbled upon this post. I am a Pediatric RN for 8 years now. Love working with kids. Enjoy my new hobby of cake decorating and getting new toys. Happy baking everyone.

paula1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula1234 Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 10:49pm
post #70 of 89

I have been a nurse for 20 years. I worked in every aspect of surgery. Loved it. I recently stopped my nursing job to be with my 3 boys since they just recently in the last year lost their father. I took up cake decorating as a hobby and found cc. Love this site.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 11:07pm
post #71 of 89

My mother was a nurse for 30 years and now my daughter is in nursing school. She will graduate in December. A special breed are nurses!

Cakeygoodness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeygoodness Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 11:43pm
post #72 of 89

Hi......I've been a RN for 26 years. It's a true dream job, although a lot of hard work. The work pays off many times over with the gratitude and appreciation you receive from the patients and their families.
I have been on CC for about 2 months and love this site!! Just got back from a trip to Country Kitchen Sweetart in Fort Wayne, IN........a cake decorators playground. So much fun! icon_biggrin.gif Sherry

Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 1:23am
post #73 of 89

Not a nurse but have worked in emergency medicine for 24 years. Have been certified as an EMT but my main job is physician education in chart documentation. I work for the largest ED group in the country (1 out of every 15 ED pts. is seen by one of our docs). We staff EDs in about 37 states (over 300 hospitals) and I've gotten to work shifts in probably 20-40 EDs. Best job in the world. Also my son is in school to become a RT.

Started decorating cakes when I worked at a locat hospt.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 3:38am
post #74 of 89

Wow!! Can't believe how many nurses are on here!!

My mom was a nurse. She just retired a few months ago, though was working for a home health care agency as a case manager for the last 30 years (since I was born).

My dad works in a hospital (computers and used to work in the lab), my MIL works in the same hospital as my dad (medical records), and I used to work there as well (medical records).

I'm a medical transcriptionist and work at home now, and just love typing medical reports. I don't have the stomach for it, so listening to the docs is as close as I can get to that type of work. You guys/gals are the best!

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 3:45am
post #75 of 89

I was a medical assistant and x-ray tech. I worked in Pediatrics and for OB/GYN's.

goal4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goal4me Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 4:10am
post #76 of 89

Hi there~

I'm a Nurse Prctitioner in Occ Med and Employee Health.
Enjoy my career and teach cake decorating a couple of nights a week for fun!

bthasns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bthasns Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 11:51am
post #77 of 89

I graduate LPN school on Thursday and as soon as I pass my boards I'll be a nurse!!!!
I hope to go on to get my BSN, MSN, and NP. I want to focus in neotatology and have applied for a job at Childrens hospital...wish me luck!

goal4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goal4me Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 2:57pm
post #78 of 89

Wishing you the best in pursuing your career goals and Congratulations!!!

Mary Jane

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 6:29pm
post #79 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthasns

I graduate LPN school on Thursday and as soon as I pass my boards I'll be a nurse!!!!
I hope to go on to get my BSN, MSN, and NP. I want to focus in neotatology and have applied for a job at Childrens hospital...wish me luck!

Congratulations, and good luck on your boards! That is so exciting! I also want to be an NNP eventually ... just have to get through BSN nursing school first! icon_cry.gif I want to work at Columbus Children's when I graduate. Is that the children's hospital that you applied at?

marybible Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marybible Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 10:12pm
post #80 of 89

Hey there. Im a certified medical assistant. I have a two year associate of science degree. I work in a family practice office. I have been there going on seven years. I am fairly new to cake decorating. I have always wanted to do it. Its a very fun hobby.

gismo12002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gismo12002 Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 10:19pm
post #81 of 89

Nurse here!

Confectionary2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Confectionary2 Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 10:19pm
post #82 of 89

I am also an LPN. I graduated three years ago and plan to go back to school soon. Currently I am only working 7pm-7am on Saturday and Sunday (Baylor shift) that will allow me to do this. Good luck!

carries_creations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carries_creations Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 10:29pm
post #83 of 89

I have been a nurse for the last 10 years, and all the nurses love when I work because I always bring in my "practice cakes"

marybible Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marybible Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 10:35pm
post #84 of 89

I have to agree....a lot of my "customers" are co-workers and the doctor I work for LOVES to be my sampler on new stuff. I also make cakes for his family and friends

specialcakesbymommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
specialcakesbymommy Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 1:11am
post #85 of 89

icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif Holy! I am surprised to see this post going again. I am happy to see all the fellow nurses and families of nurses. After the day I had today at work, it is nice to be in wonderful company. Somedays it is just so hard. No matter how much I talk to myself and say " I love my job, I love my job"; sometimes it is hard to believe that. But I must, because I show up each day. I was suppose to make cupcakes for my daughters preschool graduation but work was so hard on me today, I just don't have it in me to make them. Do I dare say, I will be stopping at the grocery store to buy some??? I know bad mommy!!!!!!! But back me up fellow nurses, sometimes you have nothing left after you leave work. Thanks for listening!

nmrunyon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nmrunyon Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 1:35am
post #86 of 89

I am a high risk OB nurse in Ohio. I also own a bakery. Makes time a bit short!! icon_biggrin.gif

nrctermite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nrctermite Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 2:49am
post #87 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrstone98

Was in school for nursing for a semester and a half. It got to be too much with two kids and a hubby to take care of...so it's back to cake decorating until the kids are older. I always thoght it was kind of weird that I like both things but after reading this I guess not.

Just for inspiration and encouragement, how many of you went back after your kids were older? I would love to be a nurse practitioner one day, but don't know if that is realistic after a certain age.

I was in high school when my mom went back to become a nurse - so you'll get there!!! I also have a friend who is in nursing school now with 4 kids Image I don't how she does it! I'm not a nurse by the way, but I am a medical transcriptionist!

Confectionary2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Confectionary2 Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 2:51am
post #88 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialcakesbymommy

icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif Holy! I am surprised to see this post going again. I am happy to see all the fellow nurses and families of nurses. After the day I had today at work, it is nice to be in wonderful company. Somedays it is just so hard. No matter how much I talk to myself and say " I love my job, I love my job"; sometimes it is hard to believe that. But I must, because I show up each day. I was suppose to make cupcakes for my daughters preschool graduation but work was so hard on me today, I just don't have it in me to make them. Do I dare say, I will be stopping at the grocery store to buy some??? I know bad mommy!!!!!!! But back me up fellow nurses, sometimes you have nothing left after you leave work. Thanks for listening!

Sometimes you just have to give in and buy what you know you can make better. In the end sanity is worth it all!!!!!!!!!!!!!

noley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noley Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 4:51am
post #89 of 89

I finished all my pre requ's for my RN and then when I got accepted into the program found out i was expecting, had to put it on hold until the baby came, and now i'm waiting listed... and thanks to the great state of Iowa, I'm kind of screwed... my pre requs will expire before they have another opening in the program and then i'll have to start totally over again so now i'm thinking about other options and a bakery is at the top of the list... i think it would be great because i could set my hours, by appointment only and still be a SAHM... which is my most important job ever! But, thank god for cakes and thank god for you all, you help keep me sane.. just when I think i can't stand one more minute of jack's big music house i come here and realize i'm not alone lol
Jen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%