Just Wondering...how Many Nurses Here????

Decorating By specialcakesbymommy Updated 20 Jun 2007 , 4:51am by noley

SweetBellina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetBellina Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 6:38pm
post #31 of 89

studied BSN for 3 years then stopped.. (long story)..now doing private home care, taking care of someone with a tracheotomy..planning to go back to school after having my second baby...

emiliedailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiliedailey Posted 12 Sep 2006 , 12:52am
post #32 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandra83

Okay, I'm not a nurse, but my hubby is. He's worked in the ICU for about 3 years and is going to get his Masters next year to become a CRNA. I'm so proud of him and he allows me to stay home and take care of our baby boy. It's so great being a wife of a nurse. Well, I don't like the 4 12 hr shifts he's been doing lately, but we need to get ahead financially before he goes back to grad school. He's a great nurse and I'm so proud of him. I respect all of you nurses out there. Thanks for what you do

We're in the same boat! My husband is an RN on a spine rehab floor and was just hired to start in the ICU. He is starting his Masters next year to be a Nurse Practitioner. AND his job lets me stay home to take care of OUR baby boy! It is really hard having him work so much but I know it's what is best for our family right now. I know what you are going through!

joellephillips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joellephillips Posted 12 May 2007 , 6:07pm
post #33 of 89

I have been an RN for almost 10 years. I work in the Intensive Care Unit. My husband is also an ICU/ER nurse. We started our own nursing agency about 2 years ago here in Hawaii. Who knew it was so much work! I am also going back to school for my Masters in Nursing, 4 more classes to go! We have 3 small children - two still in diapers - so decorating cakes is my creative release from all the madness!!!!!

luvmygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmygirl Posted 12 May 2007 , 7:56pm
post #34 of 89

I just saw this thread!

I am an RN- I have worked in the Neonatal Intensive Care Nursery for almost 14 years.

I got into cake making/decorating/baking several years ago as my oldest daughter ( age 9) has food allergies to all nuts so no bakeries for us!

I absolutely love my job in the NICU but now with 2 young girls I work per diem so it works out to about 4-5 shifts a month!

I love the flexibility this job allows me and I love the babies!

Now if only I could devote more time to cake making and less time to studying this website!

eyeofhorus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eyeofhorus Posted 12 May 2007 , 8:06pm
post #35 of 89

iam a nurse ,have been for 5years, lpn in psych and i do adult day care also. i feel im too old (37)to get my rn. so, here i stay as an lpn and happy with it.i enjoy doing cakes and crafts more than anyhting in life besides being a mom of teenage daughters.

cassandrascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassandrascakes Posted 12 May 2007 , 8:12pm
post #36 of 89

I LOVE this thread! It is inspiring to all of us who are hoping to be RN's one day.

I am not a nurse, but I have applied to nursing school and I have already claimed my seat, lol. I will know by the end of this month whether I was accepted or not. I had a perfect score on the test we had to take before getting and application, so I have my fingers crossed.

Anyhow, I do work as a CNA. I worked in the prison system for 10 years before I had enough and decided to pursue my dreams. At 29 years old, I walked into the prison, gave them my resignation on a Thursday. The resignation was effective the next day, lol. I have never looked back!

In the meantime, I go to school full time, and my goal one day is to have my BSN and teach nursing, because teaching is my second dream.

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 13 May 2007 , 4:59am
post #37 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmygirl

I am an RN- I have worked in the Neonatal Intensive Care Nursery for almost 14 years.

Oh, oh, oh!!! You have my dream job!!! I want to be a NICU nurse when I graduate from nursing school!!! Did you go right to the NICU after you graduated, or did you start somewhere else?? icon_smile.gif

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 13 May 2007 , 5:06am
post #38 of 89

well, not a nurse but work with themicon_smile.gif I'm a medical interpreter (Spanish) at our local family practitioner's office. love the job and love the "family" there icon_biggrin.gif

itsajeepthing0196 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsajeepthing0196 Posted 13 May 2007 , 5:08am
post #39 of 89

I got a degree from a top notch univerity in science, got into Stanford/ UC Davis, and Univeristy of Southern Cal for med and decided not to go. I still wanted to be a "doctor type" but have my family too. I took a 1 year accelerated RN program at the local junior college then started my Masters in nursing finished that in year while teaching nursing classes at the JC where I got my RN. In 1 month I start my new job as director of nurses at our local hospital. Now Im just worried how the veteren nurses are going to treat this young punk kid as their new boss icon_confused.gif

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 13 May 2007 , 6:54pm
post #40 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeofhorus

iam a nurse ,have been for 5years, lpn in psych and i do adult day care also. i feel im too old (37)to get my rn. so, here i stay as an lpn and happy with it.i enjoy doing cakes and crafts more than anyhting in life besides being a mom of teenage daughters.

No, you're NEVER too old to go back to school! When I got my ASN, me & one other girl were the youngest in our class (21). Everyone else was in their 30s-50s, most with children & some with grandchildren. I went back to get my BSN & it was the same story with the ages. There were 2 women that were in their 60's! So, if you want to do it, go for it! Some LPNs do not want to go back, just like my mother. When I was fresh out of nsg school, it was an LPN that trained me, & she is still the best nurse that I've ever worked with!!
I've been a nurse for 9yrs. I've done med. surg, step down, pacu, & pcu. I'm currently in pcu (pre-op) & love it. I also loved pacu, but didn't love all the call I had to take.
Nursing is a great profession, with lots of possibilities. However, not everyone is "cut out" to be a nurse. So if the only reason you're going to school is for the "big money" & "job security", you're making a big mistake. After getting your 1st job, you'll see that what you do deserves so much more money. I'm not discouraging anyone at all, but it can be a big challenge sometimes, but can also be very rewarding. I think you have to be very compassionate to be a "good nurse" & have the desire to help people.
For everyone in school or thinking about starting a program, good luck. If you have the desire to do it, you can. We need so many more great nurses!

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 13 May 2007 , 7:07pm
post #41 of 89

Hello, all you nurses. I am not a nurse, but work with lots of them. I'm a Rad Tech, worked for 14 years, left that to open a small restaurant. Did that for several years, then took a couple years off. Now back in xray at least till DS gets through college. Then maybe full time cake decorating and catering. As you can see, food is my passion, pretty food anyway. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

kakabekabunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakabekabunny Posted 13 May 2007 , 7:30pm
post #42 of 89

Hi fellow nurses!! Great to see so many of you out there. I went back to school as a mature student 13 years ago & have never regretted it. I'm working as a Community Care & Home Palliative Nurse presently. Cake decorating helps relieve the stress of dealing with dying patients every day.

LaSombra Posted 13 May 2007 , 7:39pm
post #43 of 89

my grandma didn't go to nursing school until her kids were all grown. She doesn't regret it and put in a good 10 years to being an LPN, some fun times doing so as well thumbs_up.gif

ernurse39 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ernurse39 Posted 13 May 2007 , 7:40pm
post #44 of 89

Hi! I'm an ER nurse of 11 year at a busy ER in Dallas. I work 3 12 hour shifts a week. I can't imagine working in any other area. I took several cake decorating classes and really enjoyed it. I am now decorating cakes on the side for extra money. I'm getting busier and busier every week. It's nice to be able to do something creative. I also have 2 children. This is great to see how many of us there are on this site!

jbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jbaker Posted 13 May 2007 , 7:44pm
post #45 of 89

thumbs_up.gif Happy Nurses Week to all of the nurses !!!!!!!!!!!! I am an R.N. / diploma school / have been full time plus for the past 27 years/ hospital setting / labor and delivery / unfortunately since 2/28/07 I am on a medical leave of absence due to a rare autoimmune disorder that attacks the muscles icon_sad.gif so I have a walker / wheelchair / yada yada yada ) so........... I am on c.c. from a.m. to p.m. bummed that I can not bake and decorate cakes right now and i just got all kinds of neat gadgets ( crimpers , new tips , stuff to make chocolate clay roses etc. before this mess all hit me ).....but I do not know what I would do if I did not have c.c. I will forever be grateful for this site in helping to maintain my sanity -truely . So keep on baking/decorating and until I can get back out in the kitchen again ...........bon appetite
jbaker

ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 13 May 2007 , 7:58pm
post #46 of 89

I'm not a nurse...yet. Before we moved, I worked in an ER as a Patient Care Technician. Kind of my "test run" to see if this is what I really wanted to do. I loved my job and working in the ER. Before my kids, I was a Systems Analyst. then had the opportunity to stay home with my girls. I'd always considered nursing but didn't think I could do needles. 3 kids later, I decided needles were no longer an issue! icon_lol.gif Now, I just need to take all the science courses I avoided the first time around in college and then I can apply to nursing school. I'm looking forward to it! thumbs_up.gif (okay, maybe not the science homework, but becoming a nurse. icon_wink.gif )

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 13 May 2007 , 7:59pm
post #47 of 89

[

Quote:
Quote:

quote="cassandrascakes"]I LOVE this thread! It is inspiring to all of us who are hoping to be RN's one day.

I am not a nurse, but I have applied to nursing school and I have already claimed my seat, lol. I will know by the end of this month whether I was accepted or not. I had a perfect score on the test we had to take before getting and application, so I have my fingers crossed.

Anyhow, I do work as a CNA. I worked in the prison system for 10 years before I had enough and decided to pursue my dreams. At 29 years old, I walked into the prison, gave them my resignation on a Thursday. The resignation was effective the next day, lol. I have never looked back!

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

In the meantime, I go to school full time, and my goal one day is to have my BSN and teach nursing, because teaching is my second dream.[/quote

Well, where do I start? I worked as a CNA while I went to nursing school (3 little boys ages 4 and 1 (twins)) to be an LPN. That was 26 years ago. After LPN school I went on to get my RN (Associates Degree). I taught in the Techical System for 15 years and got my BSN during that time. I actually taught the FIRST Medicaid Nurse Aide Class in my area in 1989. From there I taught and tested until 5 years ago when I retired from teaching/nursing.

I LOVED being a nurse! My favs were critical care (including NICU) and geriatrics. But, I loved teaching nursing more! Sometimes I miss it....and sometimes not! But it was an experience I WILL NEVER forget!!

HAPPY NURSES' WEEK to all my peers!!

Beth in KY

BakeNShake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeNShake Posted 13 May 2007 , 8:34pm
post #48 of 89

I am a RN with my BSN and have been in med/surg/ped for about 5 years. About 2 years ago I started as the Assistant DON at a large nursing home--since my son was born last year I have left the ADON position and work PRN at the same nursing home.

It's great to see all of these fellow nurses and those of you that are going to school. I really enjoy my career as a nurse--it can be very challenging at times (like all careers) but it is also very rewarding. I hate to hear when nurses bad mouth the profession to students or those thinking of entering the field. I know everyone gets burned out--but we should be proud of our profession and encourage others to follow in our footsteps.

I just started decorating a few months ago and would like to eventually sell my cakes--but for now its just a hobby (and my co-workers are enjoying all of my practicing). icon_smile.gif

HAPPY NURSE'S WEEK!!!!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

LaSombra Posted 13 May 2007 , 9:25pm
post #49 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaker

thumbs_up.gif Happy Nurses Week to all of the nurses !!!!!!!!!!!!

Is it really nurses week?? I was planning on taking a pink champagne cake in to work this week because I'm taste-testing...now I'll know how to decorate it! icon_lol.gif

avrilmcd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
avrilmcd Posted 13 May 2007 , 9:36pm
post #50 of 89

Hi,
Yes I am an RN nurse and enjoy making cakes as well, for me and lots of colleagues. I work as a co ordinator in a large GP surgery now. icon_smile.gif

jbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jbaker Posted 13 May 2007 , 9:46pm
post #51 of 89

LaSombra All this past week was Nurses Week but the cake still sounds yummy to make and take to work - I know when I used to bake all the time the other nurses at work would always want to know when I was going to bake again - they would gobble everything up like they never had cake etc. in their lives but I felt good that they enjoyed it - nice warm fuzzy
icon_smile.gif jbaker

LaSombra Posted 13 May 2007 , 9:47pm
post #52 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaker

LaSombra All this past week was Nurses Week but the cake still sounds yummy to make and take to work - I know when I used to bake all the time the other nurses at work would always want to know when I was going to bake again - they would gobble everything up like they never had cake etc. in their lives but I felt good that they enjoyed it - nice warm fuzzy
icon_smile.gif jbaker

aww, so I did miss it?? That sucks. Oh well, I'll just give it to them belatedly. They'll still appreciate it, I'm sure icon_wink.gif

avrilmcd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
avrilmcd Posted 13 May 2007 , 9:51pm
post #53 of 89

I didn't know it was nurses week perhaps it is only in USA?? The Drs at the surgery ask for cakes every week but I tell them they wouldn't be good for their health you would think they'd know that! But with a staff of 52+ I am kept busy with orders.

LaSombra Posted 13 May 2007 , 9:54pm
post #54 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by avrilmcd

I didn't know it was nurses week perhaps it is only in USA?? The Drs at the surgery ask for cakes every week but I tell them they wouldn't be good for their health you would think they'd know that! But with a staff of 52+ I am kept busy with orders.

doctors may know more about how to keep healthy but they're still human icon_wink.gif The doctor I work for isn't fat but he certainly has a belly.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 13 May 2007 , 10:41pm
post #55 of 89

Back in the day when I FIRST started....almost every nurse and doc I worked with smoked like freight trains (that INCLUDES pulmonary docs!) I was the only "clean lunger" among them! I'm soooo happy that times have changed!

Beth in KY

jeking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeking Posted 13 May 2007 , 10:55pm
post #56 of 89

Been an RN for 35 years...geez...am I that old?? Done it all but mostly oncology and Bone Marrow Transplant. For the last 5 years I've been a Clinical Research Coordinator at the University of Florida doing GI oncology studies...Go Gators!!

mdsquared Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdsquared Posted 13 May 2007 , 11:28pm
post #57 of 89

Well, I'm not a nurse, but my mom is, and my stepdad is a CRNA. My mom has worked in the OR for over 30 years. I worked as a medical assistant for 3 years and now work in Central Sterile Reprocessing. I have a huge respect for all you nurses. If I ever became a nurse, the OR is where I want to be.

jeffer01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeffer01 Posted 14 May 2007 , 12:49am
post #58 of 89

Yea for all of us nurses...wonderful thread! I am a nurse, for the past 11 years...have worked in multiple areas, but in the past year and a half have been working in Public Health as a school nurse and ADORE it!
This job allows me to be a mom to about 940 elementary kids icon_lol.gif and it is wonderful. I have been baking since high school (earned mad money that way) and decorating for only a couple of months. I am addicted to CC and decorating now!!!
My team of school nurses also love that I have started decorating and practicing recipes, because they get to eat everything icon_biggrin.gif . Of course, I still have staff that fuss at me about making sweets and that I should set a better example as a nurse!!! However, it doesn't stop them from eating the cake....hahahahahahaaaa!

joellephillips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joellephillips Posted 14 May 2007 , 3:13am
post #59 of 89

ernure39 - My husband is a nurse from Dallas! Where do you work? He was an agency nurse and worked at various hospitals, Medical City, Presbetyrian, Baylor.

kidsnurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kidsnurse Posted 14 May 2007 , 3:24am
post #60 of 89

As my username states, I'm a Pediatric Nurse and have been for almost 8 years. I work in Home Care on the weekends, spend weekdays at home with my 3 1/2 year old and a few daycare kids. They sure are great taste testers! My neighbors love it too!! icon_wink.gif I have just found this passion for cake decorating and I'm loving it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%