Just Wondering...how Many Nurses Here????

Decorating By specialcakesbymommy Updated 20 Jun 2007 , 4:51am by noley

specialcakesbymommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
specialcakesbymommy Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 7:05pm
post #1 of 89

Hello fellow nurses! I was just curious how many of us were on CC. I have found cake decorating to be something fun for me to do. So I was curious; what time of nurse are you and why are you here?

I am a staff nurse at a local hospital and clinical instuctor. I also love to make special cakes for family and my kids.

Look forward to your answers!

88 replies
good36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
good36 Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 9:14pm
post #2 of 89

I am a nurse and have been for 27 years! I am a infection control nurse and do immunizations at a local nursing home. I have done it all though! I love being a nurse.
Judy

Ksue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ksue Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 9:19pm
post #3 of 89

I'm not a nurse, but my mother was an RN, and our youngest daughter is in college now to get her BSRN, planning to become a Neonatal NP.

I would guess there are a fair number of nuturing-nurse-types who love to do cakes icon_wink.gif It seems to go with the territory.

auntsushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsushi Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 9:41pm
post #4 of 89

I'm not a nurse either but thought about going to nursing school ALOT when I was younger. I still work in EMS as a fire and air medical dispatcher. It's a great job.

feverfixer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
feverfixer Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 9:53pm
post #5 of 89

I have been a nurse for 20 years, and a Certified Family Nurse Practitioner for 6 years. I have spent most of my career in the ER and loved it!
I just do cakes for fun.
Diane

booberfrog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
booberfrog Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 10:09pm
post #6 of 89

Hello, I am a Little Pretend Nurse, have been for 10 years, but have not worked for almost 3, I got pregnant and was layed off, soo just decided to stay home until my mom retires before going back to work(babysitter) which will be around Feb. or March of next year.

I got interested in cakes when I got married in 2003, but just started decorating this year.

jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 10:29pm
post #7 of 89

Not a nurse but a AEMT. I volunteer with the local rescue squad and appreciate our nurses everyday.

aliciaL_77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciaL_77 Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 10:38pm
post #8 of 89

Not a nurse but parents are both RNs.. I married an EMT and am a dispatcher (police ambulance and fire) that is about as close to nursing as I get (cant do needles and stuff. ouch.gif )

desireed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
desireed Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 2:15am
post #9 of 89

Not a nurse but I am finally going to school in January to become an RN. It has been my dream forever now but marriage and kids got in the way. Oh boy am I scared! icon_razz.gif

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 2:58am
post #10 of 89

I just started nursing school! I am so excited ... I've been wanting to do this for a long time! My current goal is to become either a neonatal nurse practitioner or nurse anesthetist, but I'm keeping an open mind throughout nursing school. It's great to see so many nurses here at CC! icon_smile.gif

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 3:03am
post #11 of 89

I'm a nurse, or at least used to be. Can't practice nursing here in China. Used to be in Intensive care, Dialysis and Apheresis. Last job I had was medical coordinator for IOM.

lrstone98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrstone98 Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 3:25am
post #12 of 89

Was in school for nursing for a semester and a half. It got to be too much with two kids and a hubby to take care of...so it's back to cake decorating until the kids are older. I always thoght it was kind of weird that I like both things but after reading this I guess not.

Just for inspiration and encouragement, how many of you went back after your kids were older? I would love to be a nurse practitioner one day, but don't know if that is realistic after a certain age.

steffy8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffy8 Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 3:32am
post #13 of 89

I've been a nurse for 11 yrs... Just started a job as QA of Home Health Agency and before that an FP residency clinic staff nurse!!

cakesbyjess Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 4:18am
post #14 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrstone98

Just for inspiration and encouragement, how many of you went back after your kids were older? I would love to be a nurse practitioner one day, but don't know if that is realistic after a certain age.

I'm 30 and am just now going back (no kids yet), and there are several people in school with me who are in their 50's and have grown kids. So, it is NEVER too late!!!! icon_smile.gif

dish1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dish1971 Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 1:05pm
post #15 of 89

I have been a RN for the last 10 years, mostly in the OR. I have been taking a break for the last 6 months--I just had had enough. Starting to miss it a little not the BS, but I loved to scrub!

I did a cake for a friend's babyshower at work which got me started doing cakes, and I'd rather be decorating cakes than brain surgery anyday!!

trish

ConnieSue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieSue Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 1:12pm
post #16 of 89

I have been an RN for 28 years. I work for the Quality Improvement Organization in my state. So. . . . I travel to different hospitals. I would love to do cakes full time, but I would have to eat leftover Icing to survive. Rural Community . . . .

Momof3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof3boys Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 1:46pm
post #17 of 89

I've been a RN for 14 yrs. I work in a Level I Trauma Hospital but I only work once a week. (12 hr nights) I currently work in the hospital's agency but am going to be switching to the pool since I've been getting cancelled so much lately. They've hired a ton of new nurses so they are pretty well staffed.
Nice to see all the nurses on here!!

Diane
ps I do cake decorating as a hobby. I don't get to do too many cakes but it's so much fun learning!

specialcakesbymommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
specialcakesbymommy Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 1:54pm
post #18 of 89

I am glad to see so many of us here. I guess it makes sense that we care for others needs and making cakes would be apart of that. My co-workers are always asking when I am going to bring another cake in. We all need a sugar jump once in awhile. The stories we could tell, HUH???!!!!

cheffie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheffie Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 2:40pm
post #19 of 89

I`m not a nurse either but my mom is. She worked in nursing homes almost her whole career. She just retired last week not willingly I might add. Health reasons forced her to after 25 years. She is the one I remember in the kitchen baking so I owe my addiction to her. Cheffie icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

jillchap Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillchap Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 2:48pm
post #20 of 89

I'm not a nurse, but a Radiation Therapist... same family I guess! There's a few girls at my work who are really into cake decorating and they're the ones who got me into it!

cakecre8tor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecre8tor Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 2:55pm
post #21 of 89

I am a LPN - since my husband is military we are never in a place long enough or in the right place (europe 3 1/2 years) for me to get my RN. HOWEVER, now that my kids are all in school I will go back next fall (I could not go back this year since we are only in a 10 month assignment) I am really excited to be able to go back - since we should at least be at our next duty assignment for 2 years!

I don't think you are ever too old!! When I did work I was in rehab then oncology.

slb1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slb1956 Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 3:00pm
post #22 of 89

Hi there..I've been a nurse since the beginning of time it seems and i was a baby..I presently work full-time and have done so 36 years in a hospital on a Med/Surg & Pediatric Unit. My passion at the moment is cake decorating, which I started 2 years ago with the goal of making my son's wedding cake and I did accomplish that goal..My car license plate says it all. "I'd Rather be Decorating Cakes" ..which i got from CC..

Elfie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elfie Posted 10 Sep 2006 , 4:47pm
post #23 of 89

I'm a mommy first and a RN second. I only work 3 days a week in the pediatrics clinic for a large HMO, but I do love it. Not what I want to do with the rest of my life, but it allows me the flexibility to do the things with my family that I probably wouldnt enjoy in any other profession. My husband is in his last year of nursing school, while still working full time as a paramedic. He is in his psych rotation now icon_twisted.gif . Payback is a B***ch!

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 4:12am
post #24 of 89

I used to be an LVN.... had to stop nursing because I worked in geriatrics and got burned out. I loved the old folks, but it was depressing knowing that the patients I was working with wouldn't get better and go home. Anywho, now I am a SAHM who will hopefully be working as a paraeducater this fall. Got some interviews coming up... wish me luck!

Christy1911 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christy1911 Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 6:03am
post #25 of 89

I am a nurse and have been for 9 years. I have 2 small children and love the flexabilty of the nursing profession. I work 2 -12 hour nights and am home with my kids the rest of the time. I also have my Masters and am a certified Family Nurse Practitioner. I have put that part of my career on hold until the kids are older. Good luck to those of you just starting school - I've never regreted it. I'm just starting to decorate cakes and am not very good but am enjoying it.

cakesbyjess Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 6:06am
post #26 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy1911

I am a nurse and have been for 9 years. I have 2 small children and love the flexabilty of the nursing profession. I work 2 -12 hour nights and am home with my kids the rest of the time. I also have my Masters and am a certified Family Nurse Practitioner. I have put that part of my career on hold until the kids are older. Good luck to those of you just starting school - I've never regreted it. I'm just starting to decorate cakes and am not very good but am enjoying it.

Thanks for the good luck wishes! icon_smile.gif It's also nice to hear you say that you have enjoyed being a nurse. I have had way too many nurses tell me that I'm crazy for wanting to do this and that I should get out before it's too late. That is extremely discouraging to hear. icon_cry.gif So, thanks again for the encouragement ... it means a lot!!! icon_smile.gif

Welcome to Cake Central! You're going to love it here. Enjoy your new cake decorating hobby! It's a lot of fun!! icon_smile.gif

caryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caryl Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 3:32pm
post #27 of 89

Hi! I too am an RN- have been in nursing over 20 years! Work 12 hour shifts on a busy Telemetry unit in a local hospital. Always loved baking, and decided to take a decorating class and got hooked! This is a nice side business- accept orders only when I know I have the time. My plan is: in about two years bake full time & do Nursing PRN, just to keep my license current!

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 3:43pm
post #28 of 89

I am 35, married with 3 children and I've gone back to school to get my degree in nursing, really would like to be a Labor & Delivery Nurse!!! I'm also new to cake decorating (2 months into it), and I love every minute of it!!!

The only thing I wish I could do now is to stop being so critical about my cakes!!! icon_sad.gif I am major harsh on myself after I've done a cake!!!

P.S. My 2 nemesis in caked decorating: Roses & FBCT!!! icon_cry.gif

xandra83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xandra83 Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 5:16pm
post #29 of 89

Okay, I'm not a nurse, but my hubby is. He's worked in the ICU for about 3 years and is going to get his Masters next year to become a CRNA. I'm so proud of him and he allows me to stay home and take care of our baby boy. It's so great being a wife of a nurse. Well, I don't like the 4 12 hr shifts he's been doing lately, but we need to get ahead financially before he goes back to grad school. He's a great nurse and I'm so proud of him. I respect all of you nurses out there. Thanks for what you do

fat-sissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fat-sissy Posted 11 Sep 2006 , 6:32pm
post #30 of 89

I'm a nurse too. For 18 years now...where does the time go? The first half of my career was in critical care/ED. The latter half has been in L/D and I LOVE it. I only work a couple days a week and enjoy the ability to be home w/my kids. I started decorating in April of this year and I really enjoy it. I got some business cards and flyers printed a couple weeks ago and am trying sell my cakes. I'm so excited! I've 2 orders for this week, one for next and another for the last week of the month. My goal is to do 1-2 a week.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%