Fondant Rant !! A Must Read

Decorating By darcat Updated 1 Aug 2007 , 3:51pm by hlaw97

sunflowerfreak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunflowerfreak Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 12:14pm
post #31 of 39

I hate making MMF. I will definitely try this recipe and see what the results are. Thanks for letting us know.

sunflowerfreak

tcbalgord Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcbalgord Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 12:30pm
post #32 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRGibson

Has anyone ever tried anything other than vanilla or almond extract to flavor their fondant?

I just recently used RF and flavored it with Lemon Extract. The lady I did this for said that she hates the taste of fondant but loved the lemon. I have also seen other extracts that I am hoping to try, like coconut and pepperment.

They only problem I have had with RF (hardly ever use it) was the humidity here made is melt and turn to like swiss cheese. I am definatly going to try this recipe!

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 10:44pm
post #33 of 39

I always add lemon extract to cut the sweetness. Last time I made it I tried orange extract and that was really really good, too. I prefer Michele Fosters recipe to Tobas. It was a little easier to work with I thought.

Marina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marina Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 11:12pm
post #34 of 39

So we let it rest for 24 hrs. before use in the refrigerator...do you let it come to room temperature before using or can you use it straight out of the fridge???

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 11:43pm
post #35 of 39

Ok, I hear what people are saying about MMF, but I began my career using the scratch fondant Paul was talking about, and had nothing but inconsistent problems with it. The gelatin formed little "boogers" that got entrenched into the fondant.
It didn't taste any less sweet than any other type of rolled fondant.
The double batch MMF fondant I found is messy to make (but I have a system on mess control). I find that the original recipe can get really dry and leathery, so I add a few tablespoons of crisco into it as the marshmallows are melting, and then knead even more shortening as it . After reading this post, I may even try to add some glycerine as well. Nonetheless, after adding some fat to it, the fondant is smooth, pliable, and tastes better (less sweet). I am thrilled with the MMF recipe, and I think my fondant rolls out pretty smoothly...not too many probs unless it is humid out. Just my take on it!!

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 11:48pm
post #36 of 39

Marine I have used it straight out of the fridge and kneaded it. While kneading it soften the fondant just nice enough to use.

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 12:08am
post #37 of 39

I made it with coconut extract for my coconut sticky rice with mangoes!! Yummy!! The coconut fondant was by far the best one I have made yet and I am making it again this week to try with pineapple cake!

didavista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didavista Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 12:09am
post #38 of 39

Thanks for sharing, I will definitely give this a try!!! Gee, that gives me another reason to have to bake a cake. icon_razz.gif

hlaw97 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hlaw97 Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 3:51pm
post #39 of 39

This is how i learned to make fondant in my cake classes! We never let it rest! Made it and went STRAIGHT to the cakes!! Always worked fine for us. Make sure you trim the top edges of the cake you are putting it on though so the fondant doesnt Pull down at the sharp edges!! i will be making a batch today to make 16 Mini sleepover beds! I use Lorann Oils to flavor mine! 6-8 Drops make just a soft flavor and it taste wonderful!! If you want a little stronger flavor add a few more but do NOT go over 10 drop of Lorann oils in this recipie of fondant!! This is the only way i know how to make fondant and i love it!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%