Has Anyone Ever Used A Hairdryer???

Decorating By foxymomma521 Updated 17 Jul 2007 , 3:40pm by southerncake

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 1:40pm
post #1 of 30

I am attempting to make a fondant loop bow for a cake tonight... I draped all the pieces over the dowel last nite, at about 9:30. I need the cake for 8pm... they take 24 hrs to dry... Has anyone ever tried using a hairdryer to get fondant pieces to dry faster??

29 replies
foxymomma521 Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 2:13pm
post #2 of 30

bump.... sorry, but I need an answer...

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 2:18pm
post #3 of 30

I have never used a hairdryer but a food dehydrator works well.

katerpillrgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katerpillrgrl Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 2:19pm
post #4 of 30

no but i think someone once suggested to try the oven....haven't done it so consider this a bump

ChefCJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefCJ Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 2:19pm
post #5 of 30

What about putting them in the oven with the oven light on? It helps bread dough raise faster...?

Ladivacrj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladivacrj Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 2:20pm
post #6 of 30

I would be scared to use a hairdryer, because it is still sugar it will more than likely melt.

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 2:21pm
post #7 of 30

Sorry, never used a hairdryer.

I normally put mine in the oven with the light on. Seems like humitdy is kept out, and the light helps to "bake" it.

If you keep the dyer on the cool setting it might work. Let us know if you try it! Good Luck thumbs_up.gif

foxymomma521 Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 2:22pm
post #8 of 30

I'm worried that the oven would make it get goopy... and I don't have a food dehydrator icon_sad.gif

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 2:24pm
post #9 of 30

I haven't tried a dryer but have made the loops ULTRA thin...and they dried in a few hours....and I think looked more realistic as real ribbon is super thin. HTH...one example is a regular double looped ribbon on a pink and cream cake I did...

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_45168.html

This one dried hard as a rock in just a few hours.

THESUGARCOW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
THESUGARCOW Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 2:28pm
post #10 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxymomma521

I am attempting to make a fondant loop bow for a cake tonight... I draped all the pieces over the dowel last nite, at about 9:30. I need the cake for 8pm... they take 24 hrs to dry... Has anyone ever tried using a hairdryer to get fondant pieces to dry faster??

i dont know but to make fondant get dry faster ..i read in my books... to use fixodent..yeah... that glue for the fake tooth i think just a little i didnt try it but i will
but i have tasted it and tastes like chewing gum.... hope it helps

greyhoundlover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greyhoundlover Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 2:31pm
post #11 of 30

My teacher says the oven with the light on.

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 2:32pm
post #12 of 30

The oven has always worked for me.

Just make sure you or no one else turns it on! icon_redface.gif That'll make it droopy and then some! icon_cry.gif

Do you mix the fixodent in with the fondant? icon_rolleyes.gif That makes sense, just never heard of it!

THESUGARCOW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
THESUGARCOW Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 2:35pm
post #13 of 30

yeah just mix it in your fondant

StephW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StephW Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 2:39pm
post #14 of 30

Put them in the oven with the light on... but the oven turned OFF!

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 2:45pm
post #15 of 30

The oven works! Putting it in with the light on and the oven turned off! i've done it before! doesn't melt it!

Also, if you just have a dehumidifier you can put them on top of?? I have a basement with one and I put whatever I need on a big plate and then place it on top. When it was really humid here last month I was doing a grad cap that NEVER dried but, putting it on the dehumidifier speed it up to get it to set on the cake!

Good luck!

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 2:46pm
post #16 of 30

I always add Fixodent powder when I am making anything with fondant (I use Satin Ice) that will have to harden. My loops for bows harden in just a few hours.

I don't know if that helps you at all, as you have already made your loops, but maybe they will be dry in time withouth doing anything extra.

jessicacourtney1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessicacourtney1 Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 2:47pm
post #17 of 30

the COLD oven with the light on will speed it up ALOT

mommacat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommacat5 Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 2:47pm
post #18 of 30

Thankx for asking the question,this has been educational for me....I never would have thought of the oven light....and fixadent???? I'll have to try this.[/img]

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 2:56pm
post #19 of 30

i'm quite absentminded, so when i put things in the oven, i slide a large piece of paper behind my knobs, or tape it, that says "NO" in huge letters. it's a reminder to me and everyone else to not turn it on

goal4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goal4me Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 3:03pm
post #20 of 30

If the bow hasn't hardened...remake then use straight gumpaste.

regymusic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
regymusic Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 3:04pm
post #21 of 30

When it's not humid, putting them in front of a fan works very well. I have also used this "technique" to cure cake sweating in a hurry. I put the cake, just out of the fridge, in front of a window air conditioner and a portable fan on high just in front of the AC. The cake was dry in about 45 min. Sometimes it's just a matter of whatever works!

southerncake Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 3:05pm
post #22 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlataylor

i'm quite absentminded, so when i put things in the oven, i slide a large piece of paper behind my knobs, or tape it, that says "NO" in huge letters. it's a reminder to me and everyone else to not turn it on

I'm the same way! I have a digital panel on my oven, so I just put a big sticky note over the whole thing!! If not, bad things could happen icon_lol.gif !

foxymomma521 Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 3:14pm
post #23 of 30

Well my oven is in use baking the cakes for tonite, but when it cools I will try it. There is no way these will be ready in time. It is going to rain soon so it is very humid. I might also try the fan. Thank you everyone for answering me.... icon_smile.gif

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 3:16pm
post #24 of 30

Are the loops dry enough to take off the dowel and place on their side? This will at least allow air flow to both the inside and outside of the loop.

foxymomma521 Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 3:20pm
post #25 of 30

sort of, I think they will be okay to move... at this point I don't think I have a choice...

noreen816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noreen816 Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 3:23pm
post #26 of 30

Is fixodent a gel or powder? And do you just knead it into the fondant or if it is a gel, do you brush it on? Thats so interesting, who comes up with this stuff??

bellejoey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellejoey Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 3:24pm
post #27 of 30

Wow! I was wondering the same thing about fondant. Now I have to try Fixodent! LOL! My DH is going to the store...I'll add it to my list and see what he says! LOLOLOL!!!

southerncake Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 3:26pm
post #28 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by noreen816

Is fixodent a gel or powder? And do you just knead it into the fondant or if it is a gel, do you brush it on? Thats so interesting, who comes up with this stuff??

I use the powder. It is in a bottle with a fine tip so that you can squeeze out small amounts. I just take my ball of fondant after I have colored it, kneaded it a little, etc., and make a little hole in the middle and then squirt about a tablespoon or so (depending on how much fondant it is) and knead again.

I often use this when things call for gumpaste, as I by the precolored fondant from Satin Ice and it is so convenient!

Euphoriabakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Euphoriabakery Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 3:35pm
post #29 of 30

Hmmm... I have always added gum-tex powder, but I bet fixodent is much cheaper, I will have to check it out.

southerncake Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 3:40pm
post #30 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoriabakery

Hmmm... I have always added powder, but I bet fixodent is much cheaper, I will have to check it out.

Exactly! I do not have a local cake shop, so I have to order things like gumtex online. If I don't plan well and place orders early, I am out of luck. With the Fixodent, I know I can always run to the grocery store or drug store and pick some up!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%