Wilton Cake Courses

Business By AshleyLuvsCake Updated 18 Jul 2007 , 11:25pm by AshleyLuvsCake

AshleyLuvsCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AshleyLuvsCake Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 2:39am
post #1 of 18

So I have been looking into going to the wilton cake classes. The ones in Illionois are about 1000 for the course plus I would have to fly there and pay for a room and rental car and take 2 weeks off work.

I saw on the site that there are locations closer to you that offer the wilton method of teaching. I called one location and the course is $21 bucks for 4 days of class. This is for the first course VERY Basic.

Has anyone taken these "wilton" classes. It is such a big price difference that I was wondering if it is worth it. I mean either way its only 20 bucks so I think im just gonna do it, but wondering what everyone here thought.

17 replies
CelebrationsbyLori Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationsbyLori Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 2:44am
post #2 of 18

The courses offered close to you in craft or independent stores are considered Wilton Method classes and offer the very beginning basics of decorating. Definately the way to go if you've never really done much decorating. The classes offered at the Wilton school in Illinois are Wilton Master classes and are much more involved mostly more advanced techniques. Some are more basic, but most are not, hence the difference in price and format. I would definately take the local ones first and then see if you want to invest the time and money in the Master classes. HTH -Lori

meldancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meldancer Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 2:58am
post #3 of 18

I have taken Course 1 and 2 and start 3 tomorrow. I have really enjoyed them. Some of the things they teach I already knew how to do, but it never hurts to practice! Even if you do know some, they are fun! Go for it!

Cassie1686 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cassie1686 Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 2:58am
post #4 of 18

yes, the Wilton classes were a great start if you need practice and want to learn different techniques. But once you get involved here on CC, it is like a whole new world of techniques and recipes, and products! start with the wilton though, you will get the basics. they are fun classes

FatAndHappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatAndHappy Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 3:04am
post #5 of 18

We started out with the 3 wilton classes. Most of what we lerned beyond that was PRACTICE and playing around with tools. CC is the best thing we've ever come accross. We took classes this past year from Colette Peters, Ron Ben-Isreal, and Kim Morrison. These were great to learn a specific technique from the masters!

If your level is a true beginner - start with the Wilton Method. You'll get a nice collection of tips/tools to start with.

Best of Luck!
Welcome to CC too! icon_smile.gif

AshleyLuvsCake Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 3:09am
post #6 of 18

Thanks guys,

Thats pretty much what I was expecting. I am starting school in November and the Le Cordon Bleu school in Pasadena and will hopefully be getting an internship at sweet-gems cake shop on thursday. I am a true beginner.

Is it wierd that I feel like this is my calling even though I have never even tasted fondant let alone decorated with it? haha

FatAndHappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatAndHappy Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 3:25am
post #7 of 18

Good luck in school!

A little tip we learned is - to practice fondant - start with playdoh. Cheap and easy to find! icon_smile.gif

Cassie1686 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cassie1686 Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 3:30am
post #8 of 18

you will have to use the wilton fondant in class - don't let that scare you away! it tastes like feet! when you get through with the classes buy the satin ice fondant or fondx brands. They taste sooo much better and are sooo much easier to work with.

AshleyLuvsCake Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 9:43pm
post #9 of 18

I have heard a lot of people say that fondant tates bad? Is that true? If so why do we use it?

diamondjacks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondjacks Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 9:55pm
post #10 of 18

Look at the ingredients in Fondant.... no wonder it tastes HORRIBLE! I will one day be brave and make the marshmellow kind I think that has to taste a world of better then the box!

Practice PLAY Practice icon_smile.gif

Barbend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barbend Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 9:55pm
post #11 of 18

The WILTON fondant does taste awful, but luckily we have alternatives, such as satin ice or MMF.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 10:00pm
post #12 of 18

Cassie -- "it tastes like feet!" hee hee...another Friends fan? icon_lol.gif

Ashley - not all fondant tastes bad. Brands like Satin Ice and FondX are said to be quite good, and you can make your own at home also with any flavorings you wish. Beyond the taste issue, I think fondant gives a superb look to the cake that you can't achieve with buttercream (well, at least I can't, lol) and gives you many more decorating options. I put a nice thick layer of buttercream under my fondant, so there is no sacrifice in taste. It's not mandatory that the fondant be eaten -- as a matter of fact, I don't like the chewy texture, so I just eat around it.

Wilton fondant, however, tastes like feet. It is very easy to work with, though.

bmbutler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmbutler Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 7:38pm
post #13 of 18

I made my first fondant covered cake last night for Course 3. My teacher did not mind me using Satin Ice for my white and I already had some Wilton made up colored pink. The taste is like night and day! She said Wilton's didn't taste bad, but I think she pretty much has to say that. The Satin Ice was okay and edible, while the small piece I had off of my ribbon in Wilton fondant was GROSS!

AshleyLuvsCake Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 10:02pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbutler

I made my first fondant covered cake last night for Course 3. My teacher did not mind me using Satin Ice for my white and I already had some Wilton made up colored pink. The taste is like night and day! She said Wilton's didn't taste bad, but I think she pretty much has to say that. The Satin Ice was okay and edible, while the small piece I had off of my ribbon in Wilton fondant was GROSS!

ooo Lets see a picture!

CookieCupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieCupcake Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 10:58pm
post #15 of 18

I took Wilton I a couple of summers ago. I had a baby last summer si i was a little busy to follow up. I am taking Wilton II next month. It is worth it and a lot of fun! thumbs_up.gif

krismorales Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krismorales Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 11:15pm
post #16 of 18

The Wilton Classes are fun and hopefully you will have an instructor that is creative. Mine gives us the Wilton way, but is okay if you choose to try something different. I brought Satin Ice fondant and colored it with Americolor gel to get the colors needed. She was okay with it. In fact she is also a fan of this website.....! She got me addicted.

AshleyLuvsCake Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 11:24pm
post #17 of 18

Anyone go to the masters course at the Wilton school in illinois? Price on the class isnt bad but having to fly there and rent a hotel can get steep.

AshleyLuvsCake Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 11:25pm
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by krismorales

The Wilton Classes are fun and hopefully you will have an instructor that is creative. Mine gives us the Wilton way, but is okay if you choose to try something different. I brought Satin Ice fondant and colored it with gel to get the colors needed. She was okay with it. In fact she is also a fan of this website.....! She got me addicted.

when i called to sign up for the class it was a little old lady. i am guessing about 70-80.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%