How To Melt Candy For Chocolate Transfer

Decorating By jlllyn Updated 8 Sep 2006 , 6:15pm by debbie2881

jlllyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlllyn Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 8:23am
post #1 of 5

How do you melt the Merck Candy Melts?

I tried in a double boiler and also the microwave and both methods failed.

It didn't melt, just turned grainy / powdery. Did I overheat it? What did I do wrong?

4 replies
redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 8:31am
post #2 of 5

It could be one of two things: Either you overheated it, or you got water into the chocolate.

The candy melts keep their shape when melted, so you have to be really careful and stir frequently to check on them.

To microwave them, you should put them in a microwaveable bowl and cook on 50% power for 30 seconds at a time. (cook, stir, cook, stir, etc.)

When they are mostly melted, they are done, and you can stir them until the unmelted bits melt. They should never actually get hot.

RP

jlllyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlllyn Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 8:41am
post #3 of 5

Thanks. I probably overheated it.

Didn't stir it as I was expecting it to melt down into liquid form but it didn't happen. And I just kept heating it over and over again.

Will try again.

Thanks for your advice. icon_smile.gif

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 12:25pm
post #4 of 5

Sounds to me like you burnt them. Candy will hold it's shape when melted, think about the stars on peanut blossoms, so you have to stir to see if it's melted.

debbie2881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbie2881 Posted 8 Sep 2006 , 6:15pm
post #5 of 5

i melt mine in the microwave on defrost for about 1 min then 30secs intervals after that. if you dont have the microwave on defrost or low power that might be the problem. goodluck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%