Has Anyone Transported A Cake 4 Hours Away?

Decorating By APCakes Updated 27 Jun 2005 , 5:22am by flayvurdfun

APCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APCakes Posted 27 Jun 2005 , 3:31am
post #1 of 4

Hi! I am going to be doing a simple fondant wedding cake for my mom in a few weeks. I just need some travelling advice!!
We will be driving up to New York for the wedding (4 hours away, sometimes more depending on traffic), but will only have one day to spare once we get there. I'd rather not worry about the cake at the last minute! So should I bake/decorate the cake early and drive it up? Since fondant holds up relatively well, do I dare transport the tiers (separate, in boxes) for 4 hours? I'm not as worried about the cakes moving around as I am about the length and heat of the drive. I have a well-air conditioned car, but still, it will be July.
As a last resort, could I just bake the cakes, wrap them well, make up all my fondant and buttercream, and assemble it all there? Or wait to do the buttercream there? I'll have access to a kitchen, but I hope to get as much done in advance as I can.

Has anyone done this before? Any help would be great!!!!

3 replies
APCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APCakes Posted 27 Jun 2005 , 3:43am
post #2 of 4

Has anyone used a cooler for that long, for the buttercream? Would fondant get the "sweaty" look if I put it in a cooler?

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 27 Jun 2005 , 4:20am
post #3 of 4

I have taken one that far before and made it fine in the extreme heat and as long as you get the vehicle cool before you put them in and dont have to shut the air off b4 you get there it should be ok. Also have you thought about baking and just doing the crumb coat and taking it and maybe some extra BC and your fondant and finishing up there?I don't think I would try the cooler thing but thats just me. I would be scared of condensation and water etc. I honestly think if you let the car cool off before loading you will be fine. But I am anxious to hear input from others as well who have been doing this longer than myself as they may have used a cooler with great success...and have more ideas.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 27 Jun 2005 , 5:22am
post #4 of 4

I havent had to do this but I know my aunt has. She has transported a cake 5 hours away, she made sure the car air conditioner was very cold, put the cake as close as she could to the air output and it was ok, but she said she wouldnt do it again, the headache and worry wasnt worth it, so what she does now is do as you said and that was have everything ready to go, she made the bc there and finished decorating it there..and since she uses real butter in the bc didnt want to take the chance of the butter melting or softening too much. I imagine if I was to do this I would wait to do as much as time permits there. I wish I could help more.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%