Fondant Buttons

Decorating By audrey0522 Updated 17 Jul 2007 , 8:50pm by audrey0522

audrey0522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audrey0522 Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 2:12pm
post #1 of 9

How are those cute fondant buttons made that I see on babyshower cakes? Are they made in a mold or free handed. I am just learning cake decorating and this website is wonderfull & additive!!

8 replies
TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 2:19pm
post #2 of 9

You can make them by using the wide end of your decorating tips to cut out circles of fondant. Then use a small tip, like a one or a three or whatever looks right with the size of the circle you just cut out, to make the holes for the button. I like to also use another tip to indent a circle inside the edge of the button to make it look like the button has a lip.

Deanna

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 2:19pm
post #3 of 9

P.S. - Welcome to Cake Central!

Deanna

Biya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biya Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 2:19pm
post #4 of 9

I've read on previous posts that someone here (on CC) cuts out small circles then uses a real button to make the indentations that make it look like a real button. I think its a great trick just wish I could remember who it was that posted the idea so I could give them credit.

pbertone1005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbertone1005 Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 2:28pm
post #5 of 9

I've used the end of a chap stick to make the indention, then use a toothpick for the holes.

destini377 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
destini377 Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 2:44pm
post #6 of 9

I don't know about the ones on baby shower cakes but for the buttons on the front of my Doctor Cakes I started with small balls of fondant. Flattened them to the width that I needed with a plate and then used a toothpick to make the holes. Flattening a ball with the plate worked really nice to keep a smooth round edge on the sides of the buttons. icon_biggrin.gif

HTH usaribbon.gif

mlyoung_2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlyoung_2 Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 2:55pm
post #7 of 9

I just recently made that babyshower cake and after several attempts I figured out the best way for me. I took the small circle cutter and a pencil, roll out the fondant and cut a circle - leave the cutter on the circle and press then pencil in the center to make the indent (leaving the cutter on will make sure that the button does not loose its shape) then I took a tip 1 to make the little holes. Hope this helps.

Trevie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trevie Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 2:57pm
post #8 of 9

Hi, I just made a baby shower cake not too long ago with buttons on them. I cut them out with a round cutter for the size that I wanted and then I used the handle of a large wooden spoon to make the indentation and then I used a corn cob holder to make the holes. I couldn't make the holes even freehand, so the corn cob holder made the two marks. I didn't have time, but you can then take royal icing and "sew" a line between the two holes or four holes if that's what you want. Then I let them dry before I put them on the cake. There's a picture in my photos. Not a great cake but the buttons turned out good. HTH

audrey0522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audrey0522 Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 8:50pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks for all the hints! Can't wait to try them!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%