I Did It!!! I Just Did It...( Potty Training 2Yr Olds)

Lounge By twinsline7 Updated 29 Jul 2007 , 3:19am by Brickflor

twinsline7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsline7 Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 1:24pm
post #1 of 40

I just slapped some underwear on their rear ends and have been every 5 minutes checking..." who has to go potty" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

THIS IS SOOOOO HARD! I have been trying...Ive tried bribes..sorry rewards icon_biggrin.gif ....Ive tried obsessing over putting them on the potty.....Ive tried just letting them tell me....IVE EVEN TRIED NAKED! they think its funny to pee ON EACH OTHER! icon_cry.gif

they are going through pull ups WAY WAY too fast and their big butts wont fit into diapers anymore! these two even tried wearing the pull up and putting the underwear OVER it....thats when I yanked the pull up out....and said ok enough is enough....

Im gonna have a big mess...arent I?? icon_cry.gif any tips...suggestions??? I know they say they will when theyre ready...but these two are ready....they show every sign of being ready...they even wake up in the middle of the night to say CHANGE ME! .....bu tI can no tget them to be consistent with going....oh but they've nailed down teling when to change them!

39 replies
twinsline7 Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 1:26pm
post #2 of 40

oh....I forgot to mention they'll be 3 in September...and Is wear if one more person (cough in my family cough) tells me "omg"....or "why" ....

I want to scream out IM TRYING IM TRYING!

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 2:31pm
post #3 of 40

Boys take longer, I swear to god they do. Mine didn't completely potty train until he was 3.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 2:48pm
post #4 of 40

I have a stubborn child who can stay dry if we go somewhere or if he wants to but he doesn't want to take the time and he's FOUR so don't feel bad. He's a smart little boy but anything that takes time from HIS agenda isn't important.

My mother tells me this is totally normal and that boys have accidents until they are at least 5 when they're busy. SHe had 4 younger brothers and 4 boys of her own so she'd know.

m0use Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 2:53pm
post #5 of 40

My son was the same way with pooping, took longer to train on the pooping part. Threw out some underwear during that period.
My son would also get busy playing with something and sometimes he wouldn't make it to the bathroom.

twinsline7 Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 3:39pm
post #6 of 40

so far since I wrote that....I have one who has come over and said I go....and he did no accidents....I am every 10 min saying do you have to go potty....we're big boys lets use the potty....umm..but of course my rebelling little tapedshut.gif if mom says do it..dont and if she says dont definitely do it...monkey....is being sooo difficult with it! I wil ask him if he has to go and he will say no then walk around the corner and come back and say I GO GO SEE....and then laugh icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif ....I can see he is testing me to put the pull up back on him because everytime he does it says OTAY PUD ON POOD UP I NOT BIG BOY! icon_confused.gif

Ive also been trying to ween out their cups....they walk around with them constantly...rebellion boy more then the other.....so maybe this is way of getting back at me! icon_eek.gif

I swear sometimes I want to just say forget it and let them come to me and say look lady get this diaper off me.... icon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

thanks for the support! boys are VERY hard! times two is just a nightmare!

m0use Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 6:58pm
post #7 of 40

Did you try putting fruit loops or cheerios in the toilet for them to aim at? icon_rolleyes.gif Sounds wierd but works for some.

twinsline7 Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 7:15pm
post #8 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0use

Did you try putting fruit loops or cheerios in the toilet for them to aim at? icon_rolleyes.gif Sounds wierd but works for some.

yes...and I wont tell you what the outcome of that was!!! icon_eek.gif

m0use Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 7:19pm
post #9 of 40

icon_lol.gif I won't ask!

bluehen92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluehen92 Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 10:29pm
post #10 of 40

I definitely think boys are harder to train than girls. Most definitely. My DD was soo easy to potty train at 2 1/2. No problems at all. My DS was almost 3 (like 2 years and 11 months) & still not caring about it at all. I was so frustrated!! I finally said screw it & put him in underwear. He had 2 accidents the first day and that was it. JEEZ. I should have done that sooner icon_rolleyes.gif He wore pull-ups to bed for probably 6 months after that because he would still go at night, but I could handle that.

I can't imagine twins icon_eek.gif Good luck!

-Lisa

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 12:39am
post #11 of 40

We are going through this with my nephew, he is two. My sister has been using the big boy underpants with the plastic ones over them. It helps keep the mess's down.

My nephew actaully purposly peed in the floor twice Saturday morning, my sister then gave up and put a pull up back on him. I told her this was exactly what he was wanting.

He will say/do anything big boys do except use the potty! One thing we have been doing is making the potty his reading corner. He gets to take whatever books he wants to the potty and read them. Sometimes it's a ten minute trip, but usually we will get something out of the deal.

I wish you the best! Something will work! Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif

pish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pish Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 1:10am
post #12 of 40

I have absolutely NO advice but, if you could let me know how you do it when all is said and done that would be great... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 2:12am
post #13 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by pish

I have absolutely NO advice but, if you could let me know how you do it when all is said and done that would be great... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

yeah me too......my son is 26 months old and very stubborn, if I try and put underwear on him its a fit the likes few have ever seen (I mean picture an HOUR of screaming and carrying on as though I am beating him---which by that point i was tempted...JK).......so I let him go underwearless for the first half of the day on Monday...he went 3 1/2 hours with no accident but he didnt go in the potty either....he sat on it but nothing.....then we had lunch he did really good during lunch but I was loading the dishwasher and didnt see him sneak away and yup an accident... people keep telling me not to bother until he is 3 but man I would love to be diaper free!

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 2:12am
post #14 of 40

for double posting icon_redface.gif

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 3:21am
post #15 of 40

I don't have any words of wisdom because my wonderful babysitter played a HUGE part in potty training both my kids, but at least you'll know you aren't alone, both my kids (a boy and a girl) were right around 3 when they finally potty trained. Honestly, after a while of trying, I just gave up and figured they'd work it out before they went to kindergarten. icon_redface.gif

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 4:07am
post #16 of 40

My son is the same exact age as yours (will be 3 on September 19th). He is not trained yet. He's showing some signs but is not overly motivated. I haven't been pushing it.

My oldest (who is 4 now) trained just beyond 3 and I swear it was the easiest thing in the world. He was trained in about 30 minutes. I put underwear on him, he had one accident sitting at the kitchen table and realized that the underwear would not hold it in and that was it. He went in the potty after that. It took about a month to get through the night but I highly recommend not making a huge issue out of it and for me, waiting worked.

I do think you've got it tougher having two at once because they'll plot against you and think it's fun (my niece and nephew did that to my sister) but it will come.

mlynnb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlynnb Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 11:46am
post #17 of 40

I have 2 boys and 1 girl---both of my boys had just turned 3 when they were trained. My daughter was 2 1/2. The boys were definately harder. I remember almost pulling my hair out with my oldest son! My mom kept saying, when they're ready, they'll just do it, but of course that seemed too simple for me. Guess what? She was right. Both my boys decided (pretty much overnight icon_confused.gif ) that it was time to be big boys. Because of the experience with the boys, I was prepared for a fight with my daughter, but she was sooo easy! As another poster said, I cannot imagine potty-training with twins, but I wish you luck!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 12:12pm
post #18 of 40

So far I have trained 2 boys (one to go!) Niether of them got it until 3. My middle son probably could have done it earlier but we were under a lot of changes (new house, moving, new baby etc) I just couldnt do it. But the best thing to do was just stick them in underwear and be prepared for a lot of cleaning. Do it when you can stick to this for a few days or even a week. Going back and forth to diapers, pull ups didnt really help (except at night...one thing at a time!) They will get it, they will!

twinsline7 Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 1:05pm
post #19 of 40

thanks ya'll are making me feel 10 times better about it! thumbs_up.gif I'll just give them some more time....although I still put reg underwear on them again today.....I only put a pull up on yesterday for nap and night.... so we'll see how it goes...

one is taking to it fine...just one accident yesterday ...the other went to the extent to prove his point by peeing on my leg! icon_confused.gificon_eek.gif

Ive taken them to the store a couple times ( real quick trips) with just the underwear on to kinda help make THEM aware of not peeing in their pants...so before we went in I said " we dont have pull ups on so no peeing our pants in the store!" ......my little trouble making one gets out walks into the store with me and the WHOLE time we were in the kept saying "oh nooooo mommy I dunna peee....oh no mommy watch out I dunna pee" icon_confused.gif the little tapedshut.gif

Marksgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marksgirl Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 7:16pm
post #20 of 40

twinsline7,

Oh my word, I think I am going to pee my pants. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I can't help you at all. But I have to tell your killing me I am laughing so hard.

Best of luck

Sue

twinsline7 Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 8:04pm
post #21 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksgirl

twinsline7,

Oh my word, I think I am going to pee my pants. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I can't help you at all. But I have to tell your killing me I am laughing so hard.

Best of luck

Sue

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_wink.gif

it IS funny! now anyway...but when youre walking through the isle and this kid is taunting you...its not so funny! icon_confused.gif ....my husband didnt believe me when I told him when you take him to the bathroom he aims for your leg!! so this morning when my husband got in the shower....I took the boys potty and sent trouble maker into the bathroom while I put underwear on the other....I kid you not he dropped his drawers stood on the stool as if he was gonna go....then turned pulled the curtain back and PEED IN THE TUB! all you could hear was him laughing and my husband screaming GET THIS KID!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gif
guess he believes me now...

well I guess he's creative icon_rolleyes.gif

thecupcakemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecupcakemom Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 3:14am
post #22 of 40

Ahhh...I have four kids, the youngest are 2 yr old twins. I just finished potty training my 3 yr old. My advice is to never use pullups. They are so absorbent that kids don't feel the pee in their pants. I just go cold turkey. There are a few accidents, but only in the beginning. I also wake my daughter up each night around midnight so she can pee. She goes right back to sleep and since we started this policy, there have been no accidents. It's too long to go w/o getting up and she sleeps so hard, she won't get up on her own. Also, my suggestion would be to work on one project at a time. You mentioned you were working on cups. Just pick one task for them to master and then move on to the next. Their little brains can't take too many changes at once. It's a security issue. HTH.

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 3:57am
post #23 of 40

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Your boys are very funny !!! Like everybody else said,they'll do it when they are good & ready - don't even worry about their age,there's no set age for toilet training..all of my boys were toilet trained at different ages (2 1/2 - 3 yrs ) - just RELAX !!!!

STLdecoratingfool Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
STLdecoratingfool Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 5:20pm
post #24 of 40

Ok, here is my take on all this potty trainer disaster!
I have 4 kids, 16, 13, 10, & a 2 1/2 yr old son. He wanted to train himself at 13 months, yes 13 months! That lasted all of 9 days & he decided he didnt like going pee pee on the potty because that made him a "BIG KID" & he isnt ready for that! Ok, no big deal, we stopped.
Now, he is 2 1/2 & Im trying again. Well he was doing good, did both pee & pooped on the potty until his Sister came back with the reply... Oh Brett, your a BIG KID now, you pooped on the big boys potty! tapedshut.gif Well guess what?!?? The big boys potty just went down the toliet right with his poop! Thats ALL it took was for someone to call him a BIG KID & BAM!! End of that story...lol He is mommas boy, he is mommas baby, he is the last of the bunch & he has gotten that etched in stone in his mind & thats that! He can do everything a typical kid can do for his age, but when you mention he is a BIG KID now, you can forget about it!
So now I will wait for another week to pass by & hopefully he will have forgotten what Sister said & we will try again. He doesnt like the diaper to have more than 2 uses worth of pee in it before he claims he has "POOPED" and wants it changed. So he knows the whole going to use the potty concept, he just DOESNT like to be considered a BIG KID for some reason! So I will go with his way & try a different approach! WHen they see they are growing up, in some aspects, they arent ready to be a GROWN UP, they like being the little tykes they are who can get away with certain things because they are little tykes! So you have to look at it like that with some kids, I think this particulair child of mine is that way...lol So that is how we will do things, the way he is comfortable with it. Sure he likes to be a BIG KID & help make stuff in the kitchen, thats ok. But there is just something about using the potty that really puts a fear into them that OMG, Im really growing up, I dont know if I like that or not just yet. So try it like that, try NOT using the BIG KID phrase or anything of that nature & see how that works. Just rephrase how you CONGRATULATE them & see if that helps!
I will update when I try again at a different approach to see if it works or not!

GOOD LUCK TO ALL! potty training can be 1 of our WORST NIGHTMARES! But remember, it too will soon pass, just maybe not as FAST as we would like for it too...lol thumbs_up.gif

caprica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caprica Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 2:32am
post #25 of 40

Kudos to you for just "diving in there" with the potty training. I also have a 2yr old (girl, who just turned 2) and I've been gun shy about it. We have a fancy new potty, and she does the dry run real well with clothes on- even runs to her play kitchen to pretend to wash her hands... but she has no interest in trying to go without a diaper.

I give you ALOT of credit. Maybe I should take a few pointers from you...

Good Luck. thumbs_up.gif

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 6:15am
post #26 of 40

Can I tell you how frustrated I am with trying to potty train my 3 year old daughter!! icon_mad.gif We have been working on this for almost 9 months! She will pee in the potty...not all the time, but most of the time, but this girl will not do #2 in the potty. I've bribed with Ice Cream, Chucky Cheese, Stickers, etc.. I'm running out of ideas. I never had this much trouble potty training my oldest DD. This girl is just plain stubborn. Anymore I do nothing but put her in her "big-girl panties" and she doesn't care. She'll just pee all over my hardwood floors and just say " Mom I need to change my butt." UGHHH!!! icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif I've even made her stay in wet panties, but she doesn't care. It doesn't bother her. As for taking her to the store I've learned that it has to be a pull up or she will pee all over the floors. She peed down the papertowel aisle at Wal-Mart. Do you know how horrible it is to have a trail of wetness following your cart and having people glare at you. There are times I just want to say "Forget this, I quit!" I know that she'll have to eventually be potty trained but this is just wearing on my nerves. Sorry I'll quit venting now! icon_redface.gif

keri0323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keri0323 Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 5:55pm
post #27 of 40

I am in the same boat my oldest daughter is 3 and 2 months I have been trying off and on for over 2 years now, she knows how and she knows when and she'll do it when she wants to but not all the time. She'll pee right on the floor too she'll change her panties and go on. I don't know what else to try. all you experts tell me.

twinsline7 Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 8:33pm
post #28 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by keri0323

I am in the same boat my oldest daughter is 3 and 2 months I have been trying off and on for over 2 years now, she knows how and she knows when and she'll do it when she wants to but not all the time. She'll pee right on the floor too she'll change her panties and go on. I don't know what else to try. all you experts tell me.

this is exactly what my boys are doing....Im so so so frustrated...Ive left it alone for a couple days to see what they do...but you know what they do ..NOTHING! One will pee his pants and change himself....the other will keep looking in his pants to see if he his clean...but NEITHER will make the attempt to go to the actual bathroom......and IF ...I MEAN IF...they go into the bathroom its too race each other there...and who ever is up on the toilet first...gets knocked to the floor icon_confused.gificon_eek.gif

Im stuck ...I really am and Im sick of paying for pull ups! theyre expensive as it is...but to buy twice as many is crazy! the real underwear was more of a nightmare for me then them...it didnt phase them it just meant oooh now I can wear the next pair icon_mad.gif

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 10:17pm
post #29 of 40

My daughter was a breeze to train and was out of diapers the week she turned 2. My boys both took longer. They were 3 before they were totally out of diapers. I used M and M's for bribes.
But, my only suggestion is that they have to help clean up when they have accidents. My kids would have to carry the wet or messy clothes to the laundry room, wipe up the pee or poop and then wash their hands. They hated it. But, my logic was, you made the mess, you clean it up! It's the natural consequence to peeing on the floor! thumbs_up.gif They trained pretty quickly when I insisted on it.

Good luck!

Jodie

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 4:09am
post #30 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodieF

My daughter was a breeze to train and was out of diapers the week she turned 2. My boys both took longer. They were 3 before they were totally out of diapers. I used M and M's for bribes.
But, my only suggestion is that they have to help clean up when they have accidents. My kids would have to carry the wet or messy clothes to the laundry room, wipe up the pee or poop and then wash their hands. They hated it. But, my logic was, you made the mess, you clean it up! It's the natural consequence to peeing on the floor! thumbs_up.gif They trained pretty quickly when I insisted on it.

Good luck!

Jodie

My DD has no problem cleaning the mess up. I'll tell her that since she wet on the floor that she has to clean it up. She's at the wanting-to-help stage so she's just fine with it. I'm surprised I don't have grey hair yet. Ughhh!! icon_mad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%