Help!! To Those Who Have Made Tea Pot Cakes

Decorating By sheri717 Updated 16 Jul 2007 , 9:48pm by sheri717

sheri717 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheri717 Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 12:24pm
post #1 of 5

I was asked to make a tea pot cake. This may be more than I can handle. What kind of cake should I make? A heavier pound cake? I'm planning on using the sports ball pans and mmf.
I'm most worried about how to get the handle and spout attached to the cake?? Should I use fondant to make the handle and spout or fondant & gumpaste mixture? Should I use gum paste/water or royal frosting as "glue"?
There are some great pictures in the gallery; hope I can make one half as nice! Your advice is greatly appreciated!!!!

4 replies
bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 1:10pm
post #2 of 5

Sheri, I have made a teapot cake & I would recommend the fondant/gumpaste mixture, although I used MMF & it held up well. I knew it would be eaten! I put skewers in the handle & spout to hold it. Make sure the spout is pretty close to the bottom of the pot, if it is really heavy, that way the cake doesn't have to support it. This pic is the first one I made & the spout was a little heavy.

I used a pound cake for mine, but you could use a mud cake or doctored mix for this. Good luck!
LL

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 1:54pm
post #3 of 5

my teapot cake's handle and spout is pastilage, which dries very fast and hard, yet is a lot lighter than fondant/gumpaste

kbochick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbochick Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 3:49pm
post #4 of 5

My teapots were both done with the Darn Good Chocolate Cake (sans chocolate chips) from the Cake Doctor.

I used straight fondant for my handles and spouts, though I would probably mix it with gumpaste next time so they would dry faster. To attach them, I used toothpicks and royal icing. I don't know if the pictures are in my gallery, but they're on my website.

sheri717 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheri717 Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 9:48pm
post #5 of 5

All of your tea pot cakes are great! I love the steem coming out of the spout. And the tea bag tag hanging out with Happy birthday on it - great idea.
I think I'll use fondant/gumpaste mixture for the spout and handle. I don't know what pastilage is. Keeping handle towards bottom of cake sounds like a good idea.
How can I get the Darn Good Chocolate cake recipe? The chocolate cake recipe I have used with the ball pan seems to sage a bit - turns out more oval than nice and round.
If you can think of any more advice, I'd love to hear it. I have to work on this cake this week.
THANKS!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%