How Do You Figure Out How Much Icing To Make

Decorating By klh Updated 9 Sep 2006 , 7:01pm by klh

klh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klh Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 6:01pm
post #1 of 12

it seems like I am always short. is there a standard for certain layers/pans etc. ?

I have a character cake to make and then I am making a 3d monkey using the wilton sports ball pan.

any advice for today or the future? my husband is tired of me slapping his fingers because I never have enough!! icon_biggrin.gif

how do you know how much to make?

thanks!

11 replies
madicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madicakes Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 7:55pm
post #2 of 12

This may help you. Haven't tested it's accuracy yet myself.

http://www.baking911.com/decorating/icing_glaze_choices.htm

Eren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eren Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 8:32pm
post #3 of 12

I know the Wilton books have the amounts. Look in the section that has the number of servings (in the middle of the book, before the catalog section starts). I can't find it in their website, but if it's in the book, it must be there as well.

For example, here are the fondant amounts:
http://www.wilton.com/wedding/makecake/fondant/fondantamounts.cfm

I don't have my book with me, but there is a similar chart in there as well.

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 8:37pm
post #4 of 12

I don't figure it out...I always make way too much....someday I hope I will know what I really need!

pammelasue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pammelasue Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 8:40pm
post #5 of 12

You and I both mkerton, I always have tons left and of course someone has to sample it... a lot! LOL icon_lol.gif
Pam

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 8:42pm
post #6 of 12

I can usually stay outta the leftovers...but my hubby likes to spread it on graham crackers....

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 8:43pm
post #7 of 12

I tried using the wilton guide lines myself, but because I tend to frost heavy I never had enough .. now I just make more then needed because it never fails I always have another cake lined up before the frosting goes bad

pammelasue Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 8:53pm
post #8 of 12

Ooooo, how come I never thought of putting buttercream on graham crackers. God bless your hubby!

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 9:04pm
post #9 of 12

Leftover buttercream -freeze and use later on cupcakes, brownies or cookies. If you dump all the colors together and they turn a nasty shade, add cocoa and you have chocolate buttercream.

pammelasue Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 9:07pm
post #10 of 12

I just started doing that last week with all my leftovers and I have a tub of nasty grey looking frosting sitting in my freezer, but I bet it tastes delicious! Wonder if the color will keep me from sampling it... icon_rolleyes.gif

Staki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Staki Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 9:28pm
post #11 of 12

I love these forums!

I just logged in looking for some info on this exact subject!

I'm totally with you pammelasue; it's hard for me to stay out of the leftover icing. it's just so tasty!

klh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klh Posted 9 Sep 2006 , 7:01pm
post #12 of 12

thanks gals! i frost heavy also. as a newbie i hope i learn to conserve more. thanks for the link and the advice!

k

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%