Starting A Beginners Cake Class, Need Advice

Business By jonilovescake Updated 16 Jul 2007 , 2:18pm by jonilovescake

jonilovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonilovescake Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 4:07am
post #1 of 7

Hey everyone! It's been a long time since I've been on. We've spent the last couple months moving from Germany back to the states and getting settled is a lot of work!

Anyway, here's my question....I ran into the director of my local Arts and Crafts place on the Air Force base we're stationed at. I asked if she has any cake decorating classes, she said she didn't have an instructor. I told her I like decorating cakes and would possibly be interested in doing a beginner's class for her. I've never taught a class, i'm actually completely self taught! I was going to take the Wilton classes but haven't got to that yet. (having just got back from overseas) I could totally do a basics class though. It's not going to be a Wilton class, but just a general class on getting started. Here's what i've come up with so far, let me know what you think...
Class would include following topics-
1.Basic recipes
-cake extender, icings (using different flavorings)
2.Icing consistencies
-what they are and when to use them
3.Then we would make some icing to begin decorating an already baked
cake that they will bring with them to class
4.Frosting the cake
-importance of crumb coat
-smoothing techniques
5.Tinting the icing for decorations
-how to tint, what products are available etc..
6.Preparing the bag
-disposable bags vs. reusable bags
-couplings
-parchment bags
7.Decorating Basics
-borders, lace, roses, drop flowers, transfers, star tips, piping,
basketweave

This workshop will be a one day thing and the student will come to class with a pre-baked two layer round, and icing ingredients (I want to make the icing with them so they can get the feel of it and learn how to change consistency.) They will also need to bring from home a mixing bowl, scraper and mixer (unless I can talk to the director about having those materials available, which is what I prefer). The class will provide the decorator bags, tips, gel color for icing, and practice boards. The student will go home with a completely decorated cake but not have to invest so much in supplies.

Does this sound like a comprehensive beginners class? What would you add/delete? How long do you think it will take? And what would you charge?

Thanks for all your thoughts!
joni

6 replies
Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 4:29am
post #2 of 7

Having people bring their own mixers might be asking a bit much. Having a class is like moving anyway. Even if the students are willing to do this, is there enough counter space and outlets for this? I understand your point about showing how to make proper frosting, but maybe just putting your recipe on the list of supplies will be good enough.

You might also want to consider doing a sheet cake rather than a stacked cake. You won't believe the condition of some of the stacked cakes that were brought into the classes that I taught. Even the sheet cakes were "interesting", but at least we could work with them.

Your class sounds really good, but an awful lot for one day. Have you considered doing a theme cake that shows a variety of techniques? The class you're describing sounds like a several week class.

Attention spans are limited, and if a person is having any difficulty at all, things will come to a grinding halt. I'm not saying that the students are not smart, but information overload can produce its own problems.

When I taught at a Vo-Tech and a Jr. College, they charged $40 for a 6 week course, two days a week. When I taught privately, I charged $20/hour.

For a first class, keep it as simple as possible. You will be surprised at how many cannot make a cake with or with out a mix.

Good luck, though. It does sound like you have the right ideas in mind.

Michele

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 4:45am
post #3 of 7

Perhaps you could break this into 2 sessions-
Do one where you explain the basics from tips for cake baking, demonstrate making the frosting, making consistencies, types of/ setting up bags, crumb coating, decorating, etc. Then the second session have them bring in their own cake/icing and work through all the techniques and decorate their cakes. It would also give them greater opportunity to think, reflect, ask questions and learn more from the experience.

I agree that you may be surprised at their level of previous knowledge. I know someone who read the directions "grease and flour the pan" and then poured oil in the bottom, dumped flour on top it , added the cake batter and baked it! She called me later to ask why the oil/flour didn't mix in!

It sounds like a great class and a wonderful opportunity for your students! Best wishes with it icon_smile.gif

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 9:29am
post #4 of 7

Wilton has their course books for sale at the craft stores. They might give you some ideas on what to teach. The first class with Wilton the instructor does all the work, showing how to make icing, leveling a cake and icing etc... The second class is when the students bring their cake already iced and their extra icing for learning to make flowers and borders.

Lostinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lostinalaska Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 9:39am
post #5 of 7

make sure you cover leveling a cake you would be surprised how many people don't know how to do that, I like leveling the cake while it is still in the pan.

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 2:03pm
post #6 of 7

Bringing a mixer seems a bit much. I don't know many people who would be willing to do that.

You are covering a lot of material. Is it possible to break it into more than one session?

jonilovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonilovescake Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 2:18pm
post #7 of 7

WOW! I'm so glad I asked, thanks everyone for your advice. And you're all right! (imagine that, icon_wink.gif ) Yes we can do anything we want with this class, that's the beauty of it! We're building it from the ground up. The nearest Micheal's is a 30 minute drive, and the local craft store that offers the Wilton class is inconsistent at best. And this class will only be offered to those who have access to the military base.

So break up the class maybe into two sessions? I'm still not sure how much to charge. The facility will add an extra bit on to the price to cover their side of it. Wilton class is 8 hours for $35 (plus materials), this class will likely only be 3 to 4 hours.

Thanks everyone for helping me brainstorm, keep it comin' I need the help!
joni

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%