A Couple Substitution Questions

Baking By puzzlegut Updated 26 Jun 2008 , 1:39am by MichelleM77

puzzlegut Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 2:43pm
post #1 of 3

I posted awhile ago asking if hi-ratio shortening could be used in a cookie recipe. Well last night I tried using the hi-ratio in place of the Crisco in a chocolate chip recipe and it turned out great.

Next time though, I think I would like to make a couple of substitution changes to the recipe and see how it turns out. One thing I would like to do is instead of using 1 cup shortening, I would like to do 1/2 cup hi-ratio shortening and 1/2 cup butter. Does this sound like it would work okay?

I was also wondering about substituting milk chocolate chips for the semi-sweet chocolate chips. I know most cookie recipes call for the semi-sweet, but I wonder what the milk chocolate would do for the cookies and if there are any benefits to using milk chocolate over semi-sweet.

2 replies
peajay66 Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 2:46pm
post #2 of 3

I always do the 1/2 shortening 1/2 butter with my choc chip cookies. Can't think that using hi-ratio would be any different, only better.

IMO the only difference with milk choc instead of semi-sweet is in taste. I prefer semi-sweet but I have used milk choc if that's what's in the cupboard.

MichelleM77 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 1:39am
post #3 of 3

I know this is an oldie, but wondered if you baked any more with the hi-ratio, different recipes, etc., and what the outcomes were.

Quote by @%username% on %date%