Cake Colors!

Decorating By nightowl Updated 27 Jun 2005 , 7:18pm by nightowl

nightowl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nightowl Posted 26 Jun 2005 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 7

Hi! I just finished my seventh cake. I tried mixing colors to get a pretty shade of pink. The next day, the colors had dried and turned more peach! Is this normal? Is it ok to mix colors (I used Wilton color gels) or should you use the pre-mixed shades only? Thanks so much for your help!! icon_smile.gif
LL
LL

6 replies
flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 26 Jun 2005 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 7

for sure you can mix colors...and that is normal... when colors sit and dry they dry darker...and since pink is considered in the peach realm it can and did dry that way. When I make pink, I use a tad bit of the pink gel and let it sit for a while. Pink alone will be a beautiful pink. You cake is still very very pretty....in spite of the problem.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 26 Jun 2005 , 4:44pm
post #3 of 7

This is funny, there is another posting just below about the Wilton pink. The colors definitely change over a period of time, so it is recommended to mix colors and let them sit (some recommend overnight) to let the colors reach their peak.

After much discussion, many CC members are changing over to Americolor gels, their colors are truer and take less to make your colors. The are available at most cake supply stores or online.

Your cake is really pretty, I'm sorry you are disappointed in the pink. Janice

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 26 Jun 2005 , 5:13pm
post #4 of 7

I also use Wilton colors. I find that using the shade of rose will actually stay pink. You do not need to mix a lot in unless you are going for a hot pink. Your cake looks great!
traci

nernan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nernan Posted 27 Jun 2005 , 7:34am
post #5 of 7

Thats a great cake, your design is beaut. Great job.

bigcatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigcatz Posted 27 Jun 2005 , 7:48am
post #6 of 7

The colors are still beautiful! Love the design too!

nightowl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nightowl Posted 27 Jun 2005 , 7:18pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks so much for your help and encouragement!! I had mixed the pink shades up from leftover lavendar and yellow frosting, with white added in to lighten it. Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%