Using Real Ribbon

Decorating By cherrykitchen Updated 7 Sep 2006 , 8:51pm by Ladybug6509

cherrykitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrykitchen Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 5:22am
post #1 of 6

Hello! I am new to CC and this is my first post so I am very sorry if this question has already been answered. I tried searching, but didn't come up with much. I am doing a 3 layer, very basic anniversary cake tomorrow night and would like to use gold ribbon on the bottom border of each cake (8"/10"/12" rounds). I use a very basic buttercream and I'm wondering if there is a trick to getting the ribbon to stick. Do you put it on before you smooth (I use the Viva method), or after? Any assistance would be very much appreciated...even if you can direct me to where this question has been answered in the past. Thank you!

5 replies
cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 5:54am
post #2 of 6

There are several posts in here about ribbon, just don't know where they are, however go ahead and smooth your icing first and let it crust. Then put your ribbon on. You can use a little royal or b/c to attach the ribbon so that it will stay attached at the back of the cake. Hope this helps.

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 6:35am
post #3 of 6

Welcome to CC.

Use wax paper cut to the width and length of your ribbon to help keep the grease from soaking through your ribbon.

cherrykitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrykitchen Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 3:01pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you both so much...I really appreciate your help!

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 4:49pm
post #5 of 6

I use a corsage pin to tie the ribbon with in the back, and stick that into the cake.

I tell the people getting the cake "There will be a corsage pin about 3 inches long in the back of each cake. Make sure your mother-in-law doesn't cut the cake!" icon_biggrin.gif

Works great. The waxed paper thing is awesome, too!

--Knox--

Ladybug6509 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladybug6509 Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 8:51pm
post #6 of 6

When I do a cake with a ribbon border I run a line of icing using tip 5 alittle above the bottom but not taller than the ribbbon. This keeps the ribbon sticking and also helps fill in gaps if the ribbon isn't tight up against the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%