Duncan Hines Or Any Other Box Mix White Cake Mixes

Baking By wild_chick98 Updated 17 Aug 2007 , 5:25pm by SweetSandee92

wild_chick98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wild_chick98 Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 2:47am
post #1 of 20

I am all new to this making and decorating cakes thing. I just started taking cake decorating classes and of course they dont teach us how to make the cake just decorate them. I was wanting to know if anyone knows how to make the alterationsor measurements for white cake box mixes to make them more moist and more of a bakery taste rather than just a box mix.Or if any one knows of good white cake recipes that taste like the bakery or white wedding cake recipes. Thanks

19 replies
alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 3:18am
post #2 of 20

White Almond Sour Cream Cake. I don't dig on Almond so I replace it with cream bouquet. MMMM.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2322-White-Almond-Sour-Cream-Cake.html

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 7:41pm
post #3 of 20

My most requested recipe is what my friend dubbed "Rich White Cake". The recipe is:

1 box Duncan Hines White Cake Mix
1 1/3 cups milk
3 WHOLE eggs
2 tablespoons oil (when making a stacked/tiered cake-reduce to 1 tablespoon)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
1/2 teaspoon almond flavoring

Mix and bake as directed on box.

For children's cakes, I use 1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring and leave out the almond.

shkepa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shkepa Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 8:25pm
post #4 of 20

I have two different thing I do to my Duncan Hines cake mix

Always make the recipe on the box:

to make more moist and i package instant pudding and an egg

to make moist and more batter
cake extender
1extra egg
1 instant pudding
1 cup flour, sugar, and sour cream
make the most most dense cake

the CC'er here have the best idead

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 8:28pm
post #5 of 20

I second the WASC cake recommendation!

That's my most requested cake and there are many flavor variations:

http://tinyurl.com/2cu8s4

You can change the extracts, cake mix flavors, use berry or lemon juice, liquor or liqueur, white chocolate, raspberries or strawberries.

See also:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-425233-.html

clayberrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clayberrycakes Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 9:29pm
post #6 of 20

I learned after a wedding cake this past weekend to use big eggs and the more you beat your cake mix the softer it is, i usually put mine in the mixer and get it mixed up and let it mix while Im getting my pan ready ive also learned that pillsbury cake mixes is alot better than duncan hines or betty crocker

SueB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueB Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 9:34pm
post #7 of 20

For a vanilla cake I use Betty Crocker Golden Vanilla and add nothing to it. I get customers requesting it over and over again. They want my moist, delicious vanilla flavor cake and I laugh to myself because Betty Crocker did all the work...I just followed the direction on the box!

Strazle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Strazle Posted 14 Aug 2007 , 9:50pm
post #8 of 20

Try white cake mix, use the extender recipe, and when you add your water....leave out 1/3 and add Butter Pecan liquid coffee creamer. Don't add any other flavoring or extract as the recipe suggests. The first time I made this combination everyone raved over the flavor and it was very moist. Held up well also....I used it for a stacked cake (pic of going away cake/"We'll miss ewe." HTH

Garnet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Garnet Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 3:55pm
post #9 of 20

I use Betty Crocker French Vanilla or Golden Yellow. I always have guests surprised with how moist and delicious it is They are always expecting to have a dry cake and thier eye's light up when they take a bite of it.

I know that your commercial mixes are made with a special kind of sugar to give them shelf life, keeping it moist and delicious for 1-2 weeks at a time. I think just a couple of years ago it was released to the general public to be used in the grocery stores and I am pretty sure from the taste and texture that that is what Betty Crocker uses.

Garnet

cakesbycombs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycombs Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 4:09pm
post #10 of 20

I am a Pillsbury girl all the way!!!

Dana0323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dana0323 Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 4:11pm
post #11 of 20

I've used the extender recipe and thw WASC recipes here. Love them both!

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 4:16pm
post #12 of 20

I'm a Pillsbury gal as well.

What I've learned in the past few times (to have it real smooth) is I mix the mix, eggs and oil first and then add the water as it is mixing (on low speed of course, unless you want a mess in teh kitchen). Anyway, it leaves it real nice and smooth. Just let it mix for a while (while fixxing the pans), otherwise you can end up with a little dougher mixture at the bottom of the bowl.

felecia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
felecia Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 4:27pm
post #13 of 20

PILLSBURY!!!!! All the way!!

I agree with CCR03 i let mine mix for awhile and it comes out soo smooth. Everyone thinks its homemade. I also add an extra egg. I have played the with mix and come up with some good cakes!

sisita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sisita Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 4:29pm
post #14 of 20

I use Betty Crocker, when I am making vanilla flavor y use Golden Vanilla, and for chocolate flavor, I use Milk chocolate, but I use milk instead of water, the flavor is better.

mjandros Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjandros Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 4:44pm
post #15 of 20

My first choice is Betty Crocker (using the oil recipe instead of the butter recipe) icon_biggrin.gif

2nd choice is Pillsbury icon_smile.gif

Duncan Hines comes in last. Their cakes seem dry. thumbsdown.gif

Danishwiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danishwiz Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 4:59pm
post #16 of 20

Whenever I make white cake I always add two tablespoons of French Vanilla Coffee Creamer, Sift the cake mix and when it come out of the oven I leave it in the pan for 5-10 minutes then I take it out and wrap it in plastic wrap to cool. It comes out great everytime. My husband who loves chocolate perfers the white cake more than my chocolate.

Danishwiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danishwiz Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 4:59pm
post #17 of 20

Whenever I make white cake I always add two tablespoons of French Vanilla Coffee Creamer, Sift the cake mix and when it come out of the oven I leave it in the pan for 5-10 minutes then I take it out and wrap it in plastic wrap to cool. It comes out great everytime. My husband who loves chocolate perfers the white cake more than my chocolate.

Kiki97np Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiki97np Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 5:16pm
post #18 of 20

I use whichever mix is cheaper and/or I have coupons for that week icon_wink.gif I can't really taste the difference between the difference brands, but I know some people have a preference. These days people are so used to the stronger flavors of boxed mixes, that they seem to prefer them over the taste of scratch cakes -- at least that's what I've noticed at parties/work functions/etc.

I agree-- the almond sour cream extender recipe tastes great!

thecakecow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakecow Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 5:18pm
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strazle

Try white cake mix, use the extender recipe, and when you add your water....leave out 1/3 and add Butter Pecan liquid coffee creamer. HTH

Wow! I am going to try that on the next cake. Sounds like it will taste wonderful.

As a newbie also, I'm loving all this tips! How did I ever manage before CC?

SweetSandee92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSandee92 Posted 17 Aug 2007 , 5:25pm
post #20 of 20

Made my godson's b-day(yesterday) and subbed the oil for butter & used french vanilla pudding mix.. it turned our even better than I excpeted. Everyone at the party loved it!! Would have never though to do that if I'd never read it in one of the forms.. THX FELLOW CC'rs!!!!

btw..Me... I'm a Duncan Hines gal myself! I've always used their mixes... and have never had a compliant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%