My First & Last Wedding Cake...

Decorating By rexmel7 Updated 30 Jun 2005 , 9:00pm by KATE39

rexmel7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rexmel7 Posted 26 Jun 2005 , 4:06am
post #1 of 30

well until i get more experience. i wanted & envisioned this cake better but this was the best i could do. reading many posts & looking at tons of pictures helped me much. i love decorating & hope to get way better!
8in strawberry & french vanilla cake w/ whipped lemon filling
12in chocolate cake w/ whipped mocha filling
16in white cake w/ whipped strawberry filling
all iced in buttercream & 1 filling of it in each also...
(top tier has vertical dot lines & bottom 2 had c scroll & vine press dots)
LL

29 replies
CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 26 Jun 2005 , 4:12am
post #2 of 30

Well I can't see the details but what I can see looks very nice. I haven't done a wedding cake yet, have one to do but not until December. Any advise you want to share for those of us who haven't done a wedding cake yet??

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 26 Jun 2005 , 4:14am
post #3 of 30

Welcome to Cakecentral! Your cake is lovely...don't get discouraged, you will get more comfortable with each cake you do!

gma1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gma1956 Posted 26 Jun 2005 , 4:16am
post #4 of 30

For the first one, it looks good to me. Your icing is smoooth and the cakes are level. Don't stop with this one, The more you do the better you will get and the more you will enjoy it. Keep up the good work. thumbs_up.gif

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 26 Jun 2005 , 5:50am
post #5 of 30

rexmel, you have posted your picture and opened yourself to constructive criticism. You have shown great courage. Now, let me be totally honest with you. The cake is lovely. There is no denying that, however, I find that the presentation of the cake is lacking. On that stand, with the white background, it just looks too bare to me.

I agree with MrsMissy and gma, though. DO NOT give up. Keep plugging away and keep perfecting your craft!!!!

nernan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nernan Posted 26 Jun 2005 , 6:02am
post #6 of 30

Looks good to me, cant see the detail though.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 26 Jun 2005 , 8:38am
post #7 of 30

the true key to a job well done is the criticism you give yourself..... my mom used to tell me that all the time... supposedly it means its so hard to see the perfection because its your own, that you feel something is wrong with it so you pick.....trust me I do the same thing..... that cake is wonderful!

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 26 Jun 2005 , 2:36pm
post #8 of 30

I think that your cake is wonderful, it's hard to do that first cake (nerves, anticipation, etc) all mixed there together.

I can't wait to do a wedding cake. Seems like I can't get away from those character cakes icon_cry.gif Can't really complain, I have four character cakes to do within the next month.

Once again, your cake is wonderful. Welcome to CC icon_wink.gif .

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 26 Jun 2005 , 2:43pm
post #9 of 30

You did a great job! I really like the stand you used. I find that flowers(fresh or silk) always add to the presentation of a white wedding cake. Anyway...keep up the good work...the cake is beautiful! thumbs_up.gif
traci

mjarvis78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjarvis78 Posted 26 Jun 2005 , 2:47pm
post #10 of 30

I think it is very pretty. Nice and simple. Elegant. I think the stand itself is enough decoration.

magentaa23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
magentaa23 Posted 26 Jun 2005 , 2:48pm
post #11 of 30

i think for where the cake is presented, the cake is perfect the way it is... very simple and elegant looking.. i think if u added flowers or what not it would look too frilly looking... i like it icon_smile.gif

rexmel7 Posted 26 Jun 2005 , 3:47pm
post #12 of 30

thanks guys for all your comments... i was told the bride wanted to decorate the table so i left it to her but she never did. thanks agin... melissa

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 26 Jun 2005 , 3:55pm
post #13 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexmel7

...... i was told the bride wanted to decorate the table so i left it to her but she never did. thanks agin... melissa

Well then, in that case I take back my critique about the starkness of the cake table and humbly ask for your forgiveness. You did your job and you did it well. It will be on the brides own conscience when sho looks at the pictures years from now and askes herself why she didn't follow thorugh with decorating the table. Don't give up, keep on going!

Debbi

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 26 Jun 2005 , 4:19pm
post #14 of 30

Debbi, I had to agree with you that something was missing, perhaps it was just that the table was so plain (and small). The cake is gorgeous! I just thought it seemed to need something to set it off!
Janice

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 26 Jun 2005 , 9:18pm
post #15 of 30

Your cake looks great! I felt the same way about my first wedding cake mainly b/c I had to deal with the mother of the bride picking out every unsmooth section that wasn't noticable but in the end I said I would do it again. That's the only way to get better.

Mchelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mchelle Posted 27 Jun 2005 , 2:25pm
post #16 of 30

Great job on your wedding cake thumbs_up.gif . You did great. Keep up the good work.

nanni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanni Posted 27 Jun 2005 , 5:52pm
post #17 of 30

I think you did a wonderful job-and don't give up=as with anything-the first is always the hardest! It is nervewracking to say the least but you have every right to be proud of your work!

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 27 Jun 2005 , 7:31pm
post #18 of 30

I was just looking at that stand at Michaels.....That's an expensive stand...and you're cake looks lovely on it.... I almost bought it....but like I said...it's expensive...
Don't give up... practice makes perfect..
cakegal

nanni Posted 27 Jun 2005 , 7:55pm
post #19 of 30

That's when I use my 50% off coupon at Michaels-for the bigstuff! I guess about every 3 months or so they put that out...have you checked on ebay? Sometimes you can get really lucky!

cakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady Posted 27 Jun 2005 , 9:05pm
post #20 of 30

Your cake is something to be proud of....don't give up on yourself or your talent..........remember that little train?

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 4:12am
post #21 of 30

Don't stop decorating!! Especially if you enjoy it!! You will get better & better with each cake you do!! Good luck! Keep up the great work!! Don't get discouraged!! WELCOME TO CC!!

galaglow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galaglow Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 5:19am
post #22 of 30

I think you did a great job too! If you did that well on your first wedding cake...I haven't done a wedding cake yet...too scared!! icon_smile.gif

Here's a weird question, does the bride keep the cake stand or do you get it back? It's not like they would have much use for it afterwards.

nanni Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 10:36am
post #23 of 30

Always get your stands back-unless of course the bride buys it outright from the beginning-always get a deposit on it too-they get toooo darn expensive to replace!

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 12:20pm
post #24 of 30

I know people that take them as part of the payment if the bride buys them....and then of course gets it when they are done. if it was yours up front by all means get it back.

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 12:42pm
post #25 of 30

Everyone is right, don't give up. Practice, practice, practice! icon_smile.gif When I look back at the first wedding cake I did, I can't believe how far I've come since then. My frosting is smoother now, my borders are more uniform, etc. Get a couple of small dummy cakes, and everytime you have some frosting left over from a cake, frost up the dummy for practice. You'll find that you're ready for another wedding cake in no time!

rexmel7 Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 1:52am
post #26 of 30

the bride is a close firend & co-worker. i took the michaels wilton courses last fall & she actually thought my work was pretty good. she was on a budget for her wedding & asked if i would do her cake.she suggested she buy all materials (cake stand on ebay won @ $75) & that i could have all of it as she wouldn't be using them & also for payment. she tried to give me $100 weeks b4 the big day but i refused & told her it was my gift to her. she & everyone else actually loved it. said it even taste great... total hours (baking, icing,decorating,mixing & cooling) was approx. 22 hrs. today 4 days later i'm actually not so stressed out anymore that i cant wait for my next big project...i just turned 25 & hope to have many more years to gain experience. thanks for all your encouragment...

nanni Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 2:05am
post #27 of 30

Congratulations on a job well done. When I first started and people wanted a character cake-part of their payment was to purchase the cakepan for me to keep-that's how I started acquiring cake pans-it let me "practice" and have something to use again in the future-several have been used and not necessarily for the original shape of the pan. And you have a great, reusable stand. Good for you and your excitement now that the stress is over!

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 2:07am
post #28 of 30

One more word of encouragement...if all of us who had a bad cake experience quit...there would be NO cake decorators out there! Your first wedding cake is a jewel...compared to my first one...I wont EVEN talk about it..hehe. Your cakes look nice and level and iced smoothly...you are off to a great start! things just get better!!! icon_biggrin.gif

kakabekabunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakabekabunny Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 3:40pm
post #29 of 30

Your first wedding cake is beautiful!! You did a great job. Don't give up now. Each cake has it's problems & we always critisize our own work, but you have a great future in cake decorating. You should have seen MY first wedding cake!!! LOL I won't even show pic's of it to anyone. The grooms Mother took over all the planning & she wanted something "different". Well they certainly got that!! The cake was iced in burgundy & had white trim & flowers. It was 3 tier, with the bottom one shaped like a 4 leaf clover without the stem, 2nd was round & 3rd heart shaped. I shudder every time I think of it and thank God I didn't quit after doing it, because I enjoy the challenge of each & every cake...............Good luck & DON"T GIVE UP!!!!
kbBunny

KATE39 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATE39 Posted 30 Jun 2005 , 9:00pm
post #30 of 30

WELCOME TO CC. YOUR FIRST WEDDING CAKE IS ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL. PLEASE DO NOT CALL IT QUITS. KEEP PRACTICING AND IT WILL COME NATURALLY! HOPE YOU LOVE IT HERE AS MUCH AS I DO! IT IS VERY ADDICTING!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%