Wondermold Doll Question.

Decorating By Ladybug21587 Updated 16 Jul 2007 , 6:48pm by mqguffey

Ladybug21587 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladybug21587 Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 7:56pm
post #1 of 11

I have a request for a Cinderella cake. She wants it made with the wondermold pan. I am not familiar with using that pan, a matter a fact I am going to have to go buy one. So I have a few questions.

First I notice that they sell the pick dolls to go in the top. Well I am going to be using a Cinderella Barbie doll in this cake instead of the pick doll. Is there anything I need to do different with this kind of doll? Will putting the dolls whole body in the cake tear up the cake?
Also she wants the doll to set on top of a 8 of 10 inch round cake. Kind of like the doll cake that DianeLM made. Do you just put the doll cake on top of the round cake or do I need to somehow dowel it? I just want to make sure that it does not slide off the other cake.

Thanks everyone in advance for your help.
If you have any other advice for making this cake please feel free to share with me.
thumbs_up.gif

10 replies
mpitrelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpitrelli Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 8:21pm
post #2 of 11

You will want to wrap the doll in plastic wrap before you insert it into the cake. You will need a base as the doll is longer than the wondermold.

Ladybug21587 Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 4:14pm
post #3 of 11

Does anyone else have any advice or suggestions?

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 4:27pm
post #4 of 11

I noticed a lot of comments for doll cakes where they "pop" the Barbie doll head off and put it on the pick just for the cake. Afterwards, you could put the head back onto the Barbie doll body......
I did a doll cake last month and it was truly fun. Mine was on it's own cake board and then I placed that on the top of another cake. I didn't dowel the doll cake down into the bottom cake but I did dowel the doll's cake board to the bottom tier like stacked construction. Had no trouble with it moving. The fondant-covered doll cake was actually quite heavy!
Good Luck!!

icon_smile.gif

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 4:28pm
post #5 of 11

An 8" round is going to fit perfectly under the wondermold to be part of the skirt so if you want something that shows around the base you'll need something bigger.
You will need one 8" layer or she'll be sticking 2 inches over the top of the wondermold.
If you then place the cake on a 10" round you should dowel the round, the doll cake won't be light.
The 8" won't slip because the feet will be in that cake holding it together.

Lambshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lambshack Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 4:30pm
post #6 of 11

First, the wondermold cake will be very heavy. I would recommend the cake extender/stabilizer recipe so that it will be nice and firm, but still very moist.

(You will find the hardest part of this cake is trying to trim off the top (bottom of skirt) to get a level surface!)

Put the skirt cake onto a cake round, and then put on top of the base with a few plastic straws for support. That skirt cake will be very heavy. Also, if you choose too small of a bottom layer, it will look like a taller skirt, rather than a separate layer. Just depends on what you want the final cake to look like. I like a square base to constrast with the round skirt.

USE THE DOLL PICKS - NOT THE BARBIE DOLL - it will keep your cake intact and you don't have to waste your time wrapping up/washing off the body when you're done with it. Simply take the HEAD off of the barbie doll and swap it with the doll pick head. Works great and it will pop back on when you are done with it.

Hope this helps!

sweetoccasions Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetoccasions Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 4:32pm
post #7 of 11

Well, since she requested that you use the wondermold, I would probably stick with that. I prefer to use the Pampered Chef batter bowl I keep in my cupboard. The good thing about using the wondermold is it come with a heating core (I think - I do not personally own one). The heating core will help make sure the cake bakes evenly.

I have started using real barbie dolls instead of the doll pick, simply because the hair looks better. I cannot get the doll pick's hair to tame down and look good. At least, not as good as a barbie doll straight from the box. Mpitrelli is right about wraping the dolls legs with saran wrap. Without that, gross!

I can't give advise about dowling the cakes together. Although I've made lots of doll cakes, I've never had to transport one with the double layer, so it's not been an issue for me. IMO it never hurts to dowl. Better safe than sorry. HTH

mqguffey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mqguffey Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 4:37pm
post #8 of 11

The one I did recently used a real Cinderella doll, which was too tall, so I pulled her legs off and gave them back to the parents in a plastic baggie. That, along with her clothes, because she has to be naked inside the cake. All together pretty funny!

You will find the wondermold pan very versitile, I've used it for a haystack, dinosaur, circus tent, mountain, flower pot and an eagle! Also seen as an igloo...endless possibilities!

Ladybug21587 Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 4:59pm
post #9 of 11

Thanks guys for all your advice.
I really like the idea of taking off her head and putting it on the doll pick.
Great idea!!!
Now I will have to get my brain rolling of how I want to decorate her dress.
I was going to use fondant to make her dress, but the mom wants only butter cream. icon_cool.gif

Ladybug

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 5:05pm
post #10 of 11

Yes, you can just put the wondermold on top of the other cake - I'd use a 10in as the base of a wondermold is 9in round!

mqguffey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mqguffey Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 6:48pm
post #11 of 11

Here are Wilton's Wondermold ideas:

http://www.wilton.com/cake/shapedpans/adduses/index.cfm

Scroll to the bottom.

In addition to doweling the bottom (bubble tea straws work great), I'd also run a wooden skewer or two throughout the whole thing to help make sure the doll doesn't try to slide off the base.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%