Carrot Cake From A Mix

Baking By Katie-Bug Updated 8 Apr 2011 , 4:05am by NanaSandy

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 11:47am
post #1 of 21

Has anyone used the carrot cake from the betty crocker? I was thinkig about trying one and just wondering if anyone had. I am thinking it will need a little doctoring, but hopefully I can get it to work! icon_biggrin.gif

20 replies
Ladivacrj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladivacrj Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 11:56am
post #2 of 21

Funny you should bring this up, my mom made one over the weekend. Why I don't know because she makes an award winning carrot cake from scratch, mom's sometimes you just can't tell what they will do.

But anyway, it fell extremely short of a carrot cake but was very good as a spice cake.

Give it a try, but I would in know way call it a carrot cake.

hth

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 12:04pm
post #3 of 21

Ladivacrj,
Would LOVE your moms carrot cake recipe since I personally am not a fan but my sons and husband are and I rarely ever make it since it seems they all turn out like only spice cake. If you are willing, please either email me or post the recipe here if possible. I'm sure others would also like it! Thank you to you and your mom!

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 12:04pm
post #4 of 21

I've seen a recipe in the Cake Mix Doctor book - I don't have that book otherwise I would have given you the recipe.

KimmysKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmysKakes Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 12:19pm
post #5 of 21

OMG...I just made a carrot cake for a customer using a recipe from the "Cake Mix Doctor" book and it was FANTASTIC. The customer loved it!!!! Instead of boxed carrot cake mix, you use yellow cake mix, add pudding mix, orange juice, fresh carrots, raisins, walnuts, etc....If you would like, I can PM the entire recipe to you. icon_smile.gif

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 12:26pm
post #6 of 21

On a whim one day I took a box of spice cake mix, added about 1/2 cup of finely chopped carrot (to lazy to take out the grater), used butter instead of oil and milk instead of water to the mix, and baked. Folks loved it - one co-worker said it was the best carrot cake she ever had! icon_biggrin.gif Little did she know it was just spice cake mix with some fresh carrots........but I think the butter and milk made a huge difference also.

Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 12:54pm
post #7 of 21

I also made the one from the Cake Mix Doctor recently and it was sooo good!! It uses 3 cups grated carrots and was so moist and tasty! The recipe calls for orange cream cheese frosting and that was delicious!

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 1:01pm
post #8 of 21

I'm with Ladivacrj on the carrot cake mix.....but I have also done the Cake Mix Doctor version and it's pretty good. NOTHING compares to a good old scratch carrot cake!

LizAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizAnn Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 1:07pm
post #9 of 21

Ann Coulter Rocks ... I love it !! She does indeed rock, real big !

lindsaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindsaycakes Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 1:33pm
post #10 of 21

You know, I have toyed with this very subject. I hate to use the mix for carrot cake, but it seems like all scratch recipes turn out too moist to use for a stacked cake.

Hmm...what to do?!?! Does anyone else find it hard to get the balance between awesome taste and a neat, beautiful finished product??

Hey Berl, I would LOVE to have the cake mix doctor's recipe for carrot cake that you tried! Would you email it to me, please???

THANKS!!!! icon_smile.gif

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 10:30pm
post #11 of 21

I would love to have a copy of the recipe from the cake doctor box! icon_biggrin.gif Thanks, Katie

lindsaycakes Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 12:31am
post #12 of 21

Hey, just had a taste of the above mentioned cake mix doctor carrot cake.
It's very good! Might just become my new "Carrot cake"! It's overflowing with walnuts and raisins, which I love!

I think I would just like a TOUCH of extra spice...any suggestions?? Would nutmeg overpower the carrot flavor, do you think?? Any suggestions??

Thanks again for sending the recipe, Berl! I was so anxious to try it that it went in the oven 3 hours after I got your email. icon_smile.gif

kerririchards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerririchards Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 12:38am
post #13 of 21

I use the Betty crocker mix(2) and add a box of either vanilla or french vanilla pudding and finely chopped pecans. I guess you could add raisens (I personally HATE them). My customers rave about the taste and texture. Of course, I haven't tried my made-from-scratch recipe on them because it takes a couple of days to make - literally - but it is awesome. I believe it came from a restaurant in Kansas City, I can't remember though. Haven't looked at it in awhile.

KimmysKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmysKakes Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 12:58am
post #14 of 21

Since receiving a number of emails for the "cake mix doctor" recipe, I decided to put it here for all to see. Enjoy! icon_smile.gif

Recipe for two 9-inch round pans:

1 package plain yellow cake mix
1 package vanilla instant pudding mix
2/3 cup orange juice
1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 large eggs
2 tsps ground cinnamon
3 cups grated carrots (5 medium)
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

Place cake mix, pudding mix, oj, oil, eggs and cinnamon in large bowl. Blend with electric mixer on low for one minute. Stop and scrape sides of bowl. Increase mixer speed to medium and beat for two minutes more, scraping sides if needed. The batter should look thick and well blended. Gently fold in the carrots, raisin, and nuts with a rubber spatula. Divide the batter between the prepared pans.

Bake cakes in a 350 degree oven for about 30-35 minutes, or when they are golden brown and spring back when lightly pressed. Let them cool for 10 minutes on wire racks then remove them from pans to continue cooling.

Tiffysma Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 1:01am
post #15 of 21

When I made the carrot cake from Cake Mix Doctor, I used cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and a dash of ground cloves. It was very tasty!

lindsaycakes Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 2:04am
post #16 of 21

That sounds perfect, Tiffysma!
I'm curious, would you get the same effect as that if you substituted a SPICE mix for the yellow cake mix??
I think I'll give it a try! Will someone post if they have tried this recipe substitution??

(I have to say again, "I LOVE THIS PLACE!")

Tiffysma Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 2:09am
post #17 of 21

I think it would be fine to sub a spice cake mix for the yellow.

CarolinaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolinaBelle Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 5:52am
post #18 of 21

Thank you for sharing the recipe.

calicopurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calicopurr Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 3:22am
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffysma

When I made the carrot cake from Cake Mix Doctor, I used cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and a dash of ground cloves. It was very tasty!

How much of these extra ingredients did you use? Thanks.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 3:35am
post #20 of 21

lyndsaycakes, I agree that carrot cake recipes are moist. Could you possibly remove some of the liquid in your scratch recipe? There is a definite chemical taste in the box mix.

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 4:05am
post #21 of 21

Thank you for posting that recipe!! I am going to have to give it a try...love CARROT CAKE!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%