Scratch Cake Question

Decorating By calla74 Updated 3 Aug 2007 , 8:41pm by darkchocolate

calla74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calla74 Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 4:48am
post #1 of 10

This is probably a stupid question but if a scratch cake calls for milk should it be whole milk? I wasn't sure if the fat content makes a difference.

I thought I would try my first scratch cake tonight and noticed after I added the milk that I grabbed my DD's whole milk.

Also, is it normal for the scratch cake batter to be so stiff? Its not runny like you get with a mix. I'm using the WBH golden butter cake and they call for using two 10x3 pans I thought I'd have more than enough batter for my two 8x2 pans but they only filled half to 2/3 full.

Thanks in advance!

9 replies
MamaBerry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaBerry Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 5:06am
post #2 of 10

I'm a scratch baker. My cakes came out stiff until I began using CAKE flour. Also, the higher the fat in the milk/soy the better the cake--so my experience tells me.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 5:40am
post #3 of 10

Here's the recipe and comments:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-16872-.html

HTH

Edited to correct broken link. icon_redface.gif You should have said something Calla74.

calla74 Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 6:15am
post #4 of 10

Thanks MamaBerry! I did use cake flour but it was swansdown since it was all I could find. I think I'm just not used to the difference between mix and scratch cake consistencies. I'll definitely need to keep trying. I took them out, let them cool for about 15 minutes and when I turned them out of the pan they cracked along the sides. I've never had it happen before but I'm sure its a result of my incompitence - I'm not much of a baker yet. Scratch bakers definitely have my respect!

Thanks for the link too JanH!

calla74 Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 10:51pm
post #5 of 10

Jan H - please know I really did appreciate the posting of the link. I figured it was my user error and honestly felt like a putz when I realized I could have just done a search under forums instead of bothering anyone. icon_redface.gif Fatigue and frustration definitely were at work and unfortunately my brain was not. I just searched the forums. I totally missed your edit comments until now. I did appreciate your assistance so I hope you don't think my gratitude wasn't genuine.

As a side note the cake was traumatic and wound up crumbling apart when I went to put it on my cake board. icon_cry.gif Then my replacement cake failed so I had to revert to a doctored mix. I've vowed to give scratch baking another try at a better time with the softasilk I'm used to using in my doctored mixes and cookies. I also hope to get a scale soon. I certainly won't give up but was reminded once again to slow down and save the expirimenting for a practice cake, instead of one for a party the next day! Thank goodness it was just for family by the time I finally got to decorating (after pulling my disasterous all-nighter) my scrolls looked like I'd been drinking heavily. icon_lol.gif

All the scratch bakers out there certainly have my respect!

emilykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilykakes Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 1:04am
post #6 of 10

Scales help so much with scratch baking. Also if you don't already have one, get an oven themometer. I had a hard time with my first few scratch cakes because my oven temp was off. Also...I would try a chocolate cake next time. They tend to be a little more forgiving. I have had success with the WBH Chocolate Butter Cake.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 1:37am
post #7 of 10

2% would work, but 1% or skim makes for a tough cake, IMHO

Brickflor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brickflor Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 2:56am
post #8 of 10

I use skim milk on my scratch cake recipe and it's always very moist! I can't speak for other scratch recipes but that's how mine is. I also have used skim for the Hershey Chocolate cake (on the cocoa box) and it's always delicious.

calla74 Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 8:10pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks for the helpful hints everyone.

I did buy an oven thermometer but that is where I base most of my claims about the "possesed" oven. Even if left to preheat for 15-20 minutes the darn thing will show its 20 degrees off but when I raise the temp of my oven to equal the difference it will go up 35 degrees. icon_confused.gif Maybe I'll get another thermometer to double check. the stove came new with our house which we found out was a flip of a foreclosure. Being our first house we had blinders on to some of the cheap shortcuts they took and of course were so excited that we were finally able to get a house we kind of rushed in. The oven doesn't have a window or a light!

I just got a 20% off coupon for Bed Bath and Beyond so I think I'll go get my scale tomorrow. YAY! I'm excited to try my hand at scratch again. Thanks to everyone's helpful tips, its sure to go smoother.

Thanks again everyone!

darkchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darkchocolate Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 8:41pm
post #10 of 10

I have also used evaporated milk, because I don't buy whole milk for us to drink, we drink 1%. I also like using buttermilk in place of milk or water when I have it on hand.

darkchocolate

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%