Sam Club Frosting Again

Decorating By cshelz Updated 17 Jul 2007 , 5:18am by Hollyanna70

cshelz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cshelz Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 2:20am
post #1 of 30

I was wondering how long it would be good for after opening?

Thanks

Michelle

29 replies
missnnaction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missnnaction Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 4:36am
post #2 of 30

Not sure.. haven't used it.. but if you can't find it in one of these post.. call and ask.. You might be able to freeze it too..

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 11:30am
post #3 of 30

It's good for a couple weeks in an air tight container and refrigerated. Up to 6 months in an air tight container and in a freezer. I'm unsure how long it would keep at room temperature. We never had it last long enough to find out. If frozen or refrigerated, just let it thaw at room temperature for a few hours before using, then stir it up, or rewhip it, and it's good as new.

There's no dairy in it, as far as I know.. It comes in a cube, it's like most buttercreams, shortening, powdered sugar, etc. Just add water to mix it up and make it into a frosting. (just saying how it was made, not what you should do.. hehe)

So you can treat it as you would any buttercream frosting.

If you're talking about their "whipped" icing, the kind that's like whipped cream, I wouldn't keep it more than a few days to a week in the refrigerator, it can spoil.

I use to work at one.

Hope this helps.

Holly

juledcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juledcakes Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 11:35am
post #4 of 30

hi it depends on what format you get the buttercream, most of the bakeries are switching to premade icing. this icing comes with a best by date, you might have to mix it back together a little bit, but its fine otherwise. if you get the cube that you have to mix with water, than its the 2 weeks in fridge or 6 months in freezer. if you have any other questiong pm me. julia

Hollyanna70 Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 7:35am
post #5 of 30

The best by date is for if it sits out at room temperature. It can still be refrigerated and frozen, to be kept for longer.

It's the exact same icing, just one is pre-made for those who don't have a giant commercial mixer to do it themselves, and they had so many requests from people wanting to buy the icing already made, they saw an opportunity to make even more money and started selling it that way.

It use to be the only thing they carried were the blocks, and that was for bakery purposes, and could only be sold in block form, (because they didn't have a way to put barcodes and nutrional value etc. on the icing the bakery used for themselves) to where the customer would have to measure out the contents and mix it up themselves at home.

This is for Sam's Club I'm talking about, though.. I don't know what other bakeries do, or what type of icing they use. Sam's is the only bakery I've worked in, and had to make the icing.

You may PM me if you have any more questions. I'm not getting emails about thread responses, and may miss it.

Thank you,

Holly

Iloveweddings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iloveweddings Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 1:44pm
post #6 of 30

I get the 28lb container of icing. It is not in a cube. I has no diary in it so I use it until date it's has come. I keep it room temp. I've had no problems with it. Mine is good until 9/7/07.

Dixiegal01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dixiegal01 Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 1:57pm
post #7 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iloveweddings

I get the 28lb container of icing. It is not in a cube. I has no diary in it so I use it until date it's has come. I keep it room temp. I've had no problems with it. Mine is good until 9/7/07.

Is this the Sam's buttercream your talking about?

Iloveweddings Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 2:25am
post #8 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixiegal01

Quote:

Is this the Sam's buttercream your talking about?

Yes.
LL

cshelz Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 5:45am
post #9 of 30

Thanks so much! I opened it this weekend and it has a date on the bucket Nov/07. Can I leave it out. I have no room in my fridge. I just have it in my kitchen.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 5:54am
post #10 of 30

can we order this from walmart? i've never seen it at ours. (just asking cause the walmart name on the lable icon_smile.gif)

Jennifer9800 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer9800 Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 5:56am
post #11 of 30

call me clueless, but is that a 5 gal bucket of icing alredy made??? How much does it cost? Didn't know u could buy it like that. I'm ready to go to ALL premade if i can to save time/energy on my part IF it's good. Is the Sams icing just like they use on their cakes at walmart? or different?

TanuvasaMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TanuvasaMama Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 7:53am
post #12 of 30

Is it good?????

Iloveweddings Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 8:53am
post #13 of 30

You can only buy it from Sam's club. Walmart does not carry it. You have to go to the bakery and ask for it. It cost $26.56. It is already made. You do not have to refrigerate it. I add more powdered sugar and some flavoring until it suits me. You don't have to add anything. It doesn't taste bad by it's self. I wouldn't panic if I had to use it as it is due to a time crunch.

Hollyanna70 Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 9:11am
post #14 of 30

It's a very good icing. I fell in love with it when I worked there. I used it to do my wedding cake, to save myself some time and headache. Everyone loved it. So, i had to tell them where they could buy it themselves.. hehe (I still prefer to make my own when baking at home for family and friends)

on a side note, it tastes great in their mini croissants too. icon_wink.gif Shhhh.. that's a bakery secret for those late nights..

If you want to taste before buying, and spending a lot on a whole 5 gallon bucket, just ask at the bakery if you can have a sample taste. We use to give them out all the time.. We kept those little wooden ice cream spoons, or plastic spoons, to do just that. It tastes much better ON cake, than it does on a spoon, though.. Not quite as sweet when it's on cake, oddly enough.

*** oh, just a note.... If you have a giant commercial mixer, and can handle the weight.. You can buy the blocks (pre-mixed) for about 40 dollars at Sam's. Just add water, and those make about 2 1/2 to 3 of those buckets. Just a thought for those that have the ability to make such a large batch. You need a huge mixer to do it, though. They sell the blocks too, at least, they use to.. I haven't asked about those in quite a while.

Jennifer9800 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer9800 Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 9:14am
post #15 of 30

Thanks!

GenGen Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 2:47pm
post #16 of 30

ah too bad. no sams clubs up here. just walmart and costco.

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 3:02pm
post #17 of 30
Quote:

How much does it cost?? and does it taste as good as homemade?? just wondering may need some of this when im rushed

Iloveweddings Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 3:24pm
post #18 of 30
Quote:

You can only buy it from Sam's club. Walmart does not carry it. You have to go to the bakery and ask for it. It cost $26.56. It is already made. You do not have to refrigerate it. I add more powdered sugar and some flavoring until it suits me. You don't have to add anything. It doesn't taste bad by it's self. I wouldn't panic if I had to use it as it is due to a time crunch.

Question of price answered in previous post.

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 5:57pm
post #19 of 30
Quote:

Quote:

Question of price answered in previous post.

Thanks for the info

harmonhouseofraymond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
harmonhouseofraymond Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 6:15pm
post #20 of 30

Hey I just bought my first vat (LOL) of Sams frosting and do any of you portion it and freeze it. The only reason I am thinking about doing this is it is hot and humid - no air conditioning and I don't want the frosting melting off the cakes.

missym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missym Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 6:15pm
post #21 of 30

I will have to try this from our local Sams! I'm so glad this subject came up!

cshelz Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 10:44pm
post #22 of 30

In my photos the blue with with lace I used the Sam's Frosting. My kids really liked the taste. It was very smooth and tasted pretty good. It was a little sweet but once on the cake it evened out. I was paying 22.00 for a small amount at our local bakery. icon_cry.gif I should be able to keep it in the container until Novemeber. I am only doing a few cakes a month. I think it is a good deal. They sell chocolate also but you can buy it in a smaller portion. White is only sold in the 28 pound bucket.

Scrappinstephy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scrappinstephy Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 11:11pm
post #23 of 30

Interesting! I use wilton's already made icing sometimes, and I am wondering is Sam's better? Anyone know?

jayhawk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayhawk Posted 16 Jul 2007 , 11:34pm
post #24 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenGen

Actually, I've seen premade 5 gallon buckets at Costco. They're usually under the tables with the cakes/baked goods in the bakery. I've never bought one though to try it... and I don't know how much they cost. I'm tempted to go get one just to see what it's like though.

cohen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cohen1 Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 12:14am
post #25 of 30

Doesn't Sams use a whipped icing also? do they sell that as well?

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 12:32am
post #26 of 30

Yes they do at least in my area they do (Texas) I just used the butter cream this past weekend it was great I was told the whipped is good also

Molly2 icon_biggrin.gif

Cassie1686 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cassie1686 Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 12:32am
post #27 of 30

How is it as far as smoothing? It is pretty smooth?

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 12:46am
post #28 of 30

I used butter cream and it was great it smoothed and crusted very will I made a 3 D spider man bust I'll load pictures later I was very pleased

Molly2

GenGen Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 4:34am
post #29 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenGen

Actually, I've seen premade 5 gallon buckets at Costco. They're usually under the tables with the cakes/baked goods in the bakery. I've never bought one though to try it... and I don't know how much they cost. I'm tempted to go get one just to see what it's like though.

thanks. i'll look next time i go but i doubt ours has it.

Hollyanna70 Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 5:18am
post #30 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonhouseofraymond

Hey I just bought my first vat (LOL) of Sams frosting and do any of you portion it and freeze it. The only reason I am thinking about doing this is it is hot and humid - no air conditioning and I don't want the frosting melting off the cakes.

Yes, it can be portioned and frozen. Just make sure it's in an air tight container, then bring it back to room temperature when you need to use it, by leaving it in the container until it is. After that, just take it out, stir a bit with a spoon, or rewhip it with a mixer, whichever is easiest for you. It's good as new.

As far as smoothing.. If you stir it with a spoon before putting it in your pastry bag, or before putting it the cake it should smooth very easily. It's what I used on my wedding cake (in my photos) and it came out perfectly smooth. I just had it uneven, because it was late and I was tired, and just didn't notice it until it was too late.. dunce.gif

Anyway, it is very good. If you're unsure about the taste, just ask at the bakery, they will let you sample it before buying. Also, the whipped icing is very good. I'm not a big fan of whipped icing on cake, but I do like theirs and would gladly use it.

Both icings are great for making roses, too.

Hope this helps!

Holly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%