Carrot Cake Not Moist

Decorating By Chole Updated 13 Sep 2006 , 7:43pm by Chole

Chole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chole Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 9:54pm
post #1 of 10

I made a carrot cake for work and I followed all the instructions and it came out dry. It was not moist at all. It was good, but not moist. I got this recipe from here. What did I do wrong. Was it the ingredients? What did I need to do to keep it moist?

Carrot Cake VI

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 cups white sugar
4 eggs
1 1/3 cups vegetable oil
4 cups grated carrots
3/4 cup chopped walnuts

1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.

2 In a large bowl, mix together the sugar and eggs until thick and pale. Stir in the oil, then gradually mix in the sifted dry ingredients. Fold in the carrots and nuts. Spread evenly into the prepared pan.

3 Bake for 40 to 45 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. When cool, frost with your favorite Cream Cheese Frosting.

9 replies
kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 10:00pm
post #2 of 10

could your oven have been too hot? you could possible have over baked it too....or maybe its just not a great recipe....no offence to the person who uploaded it.

MavericksMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MavericksMommy Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 10:03pm
post #3 of 10

Did you use large eggs? If you used smaller eggs there may not have been enough moisture. How about the carrots, were they really fresh and moist, or had they started to dry out? If they were a bit on the dry side they may have absorbed moisture from your other ingredients. Just a guess!

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 10:08pm
post #4 of 10

WOW that is basically the same carrot cake recipe that I use.. never had a problem with it being dry. Like the others said.. could be the size of the eggs or could be overcooked.. was the top overly brown?

sugarnut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarnut Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 1:04am
post #5 of 10

here's the best carrot cake recipe I've ever seen. I comes out great every time, and people just love the moistness of it.

2 C flour 1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp salt 3 eggs (large)
1 tsp baking soda 8 oz crushed pineapple w/ juice
2C sugar 2 size 3 jars baby food carrots
2 tsp cinnamon 1/2 C raisins
2/3 C oil 1/2 C coconut
1/2 C chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans)

Mix together and bake for 45 minutes at 350.

Cindy_Gl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy_Gl Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 1:09am
post #6 of 10

yet another recipe. Honestly, this one is super moist and very dense. I love it and it turns out every single time. I omit the raisin when I make it.

4 cups grated carrots
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup raisins
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 cup chopped walnuts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:
In a medium bowl, combine grated carrots and brown sugar. Set aside for 60 minutes, then stir in raisins.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 10 inch cake pans.
In a large bowl, beat eggs until light. Gradually beat in the white sugar, oil and vanilla. Stir in the pineapple. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon, stir into the wet mixture until absorbed. Finally stir in the carrot mixture and the walnuts. Pour evenly into the prepared pans.
Bake for 45 to 50 minutes in the preheated oven, until cake tests done with a toothpick. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan. When completely cooled, frost with cream cheese frosting.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 1:17am
post #7 of 10

The recipe that I use is similar to Cindy_Gl
I think that the pineapple helps with moistness.

jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 1:44am
post #8 of 10

I use the Carrot Walnut recipe here on cc. It is the best. It calls for butter and orange juice.

midialjoje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midialjoje Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 11:31am
post #9 of 10

My recipe is almost identical to yours, Chloe, and everyone always raves about it. Mine only has 3 cups of carrots, though. I agree with making sure they are fresh and moist.

Chole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chole Posted 13 Sep 2006 , 7:43pm
post #10 of 10

I did use small eggs so that might have been it. Yall are so great with replying back... I'm going to try those recipes yall suggested. I appreciate your advice. Thanks a bunch!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%