Metallic Frosting Cake!

Decorating By ladycrim Updated 7 Sep 2006 , 5:22pm by ladycrim

ladycrim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladycrim Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 9:24pm
post #1 of 17

Hi, everyone. New member here, as you can see. I'm still learning the techniques, but I really love decorating cakes!

Last week, I made a cake that looked like a York peppermint patty. I wanted to make the frosting look like the crinkled foil wrapper, so I wanted to use buttercream instead of fondant.

The only thing I had to figure out was how to make the frosting look metallic. At my boyfriend's suggestion, I blew silver luster dust through a strainer onto the cake. It looked wonderful! And after it set for a day, it looked even better!

A friend on a LiveJournal decorating community suggested I post a picture of the finished product here:

The blue logo is my first attempt at a frozen buttercream transfer. It's not perfect, but overall I thought it came out pretty well - especially since the writing was freehand.

Anyway, nice to be here!

16 replies
okred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okred Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 9:28pm
post #2 of 17

wow!! and welcome!!! Great job, thanks for sharing!!!

AmyBeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyBeth Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 9:29pm
post #3 of 17

The cake looks great. You will love this website! Every once and I while I will take a short hiatus when life gets busy... but I always come back. icon_smile.gif

dydemus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dydemus Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 9:29pm
post #4 of 17

You blew it through a strainer? Could you elaborate, because it looks pretty cool and I'm surprised to see silver buttercream!!!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 9:29pm
post #5 of 17

Welcome ladycrim! Great job! Thank you for sharing... both your photo and technique!

Jeanne

pancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pancake Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 9:30pm
post #6 of 17

That looks great!...I can't believe that the luster dust through the strainer thing worked so well!!! Yay, a new technique!

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 9:42pm
post #7 of 17

The cake looks fantastic! Is it OK to eat that much silver luster dust?

ladycrim Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 9:50pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dydemus

You blew it through a strainer? Could you elaborate, because it looks pretty cool and I'm surprised to see silver buttercream!!!

Sure!

First, I tinted the white frosting gray so I'd have a base. I bought a small 2-inch strainer that looks much like this one. I sprinkled the luster dust inside, held it a few inches away from me, pretty close to the cake, and gently blew. (I tried shaking the dust through the strainer, but it clumped. Blowing distributed it much more evenly.) I used about one and a half small containers of the dust to coat the top and sides of a 10" cake.

Be warned: I realized the hard way that this technique gets the dust all over the place, so I recommend doing it with a box around the cake so you don't end up with a glittery kitchen!

ladycrim Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 9:52pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiET

The cake looks fantastic! Is it OK to eat that much silver luster dust?

Well, I couldn't taste it at all in the slice I ate, and none of my co-workers reported any ill effects, so I guess it was ok. icon_smile.gif

katharry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katharry Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 8:42am
post #10 of 17

awesome cake! I just wanted to say hi...... and welcome thumbs_up.gif

ladycrim Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 4:21pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharry

awesome cake! I just wanted to say hi...... and welcome thumbs_up.gif

Thank you! Nice to be here!

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 6:24pm
post #12 of 17

Welcome! Thanks for the tip. I just posted a question about americolor gold and it's effects. I want to do cakes in metallic silver and gold and you saved me!

ladycrim Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 6:28pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy

Welcome! Thanks for the tip. I just posted a question about americolor gold and it's effects. I want to do cakes in metallic silver and gold and you saved me!

Glad I could help!

Remember to put some sort of shield around the cake when you apply the dust, lest you end up with a very metallic kitchen!

FancyLayne23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FancyLayne23 Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 3:51am
post #14 of 17

Wow! A strainer! That is awesome. I would have loved to have that idea/tip before I bought my airbrush. Awesome idea!!!! Thanks for sharing.

ladycrim Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 5:16pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyLayne23

Wow! A strainer! That is awesome. I would have loved to have that idea/tip before I bought my airbrush. Awesome idea!!!! Thanks for sharing.

You're welcome!

Well, an airbrush will still be exceedingly useful for detailing!

FancyLayne23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FancyLayne23 Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 5:18pm
post #16 of 17

Yeah it's still good for lots of things..I do love it...just saying it would have been cheaper-lol. Great trick!

ladycrim Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 5:22pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyLayne23

Yeah it's still good for lots of things..I do love it...just saying it would have been cheaper-lol. Great trick!

*L*, it is cheap and fast, no doubt about it! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%