How Many Balls Per Cake?

Decorating By Jeannine Updated 5 Sep 2006 , 7:59pm by Rainbow

Jeannine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannine Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 7:25pm
post #1 of 12

Does anyone know.... how many cake balls (avg. cookie scoop size) will a cake mix make? Or in other words how many balls can you make out of a 9 inch 2 layer cake?
And how many balls can you dip with a 12oz bag of chocolate chips?

11 replies
auntsushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsushi Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 7:29pm
post #2 of 12

I can't tell you exactly how many it will make, but a few days ago, I just had some scraps from a chocolate cake (12" round) and it made about a dozen. I put them in the freezer so I haven't dipped them in the chocolate yet. Sorry.

Rainbow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rainbow Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 7:31pm
post #3 of 12

I get about 16 small scoops (Pampered Chef) out of Cookie Man's recipe. It uses 2 cups of cake scraps. I use candy melts and get around 35-40 dipped from one bag.

Sue

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 7:34pm
post #4 of 12

I am curious about these cake balls... when you level a cake, all you do is crumble the scrap, then what? Take a cookie scoop and make balls? How do they stick together in a ball form? I am really confused on these...they sound good and look good ... I am just really confused on the whole process....

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 7:38pm
post #5 of 12

There is a recipe for cake balls in the recipe section. You mix the scraps with liquer (or some use coffee creamer), nuts if you want to, cocoa powder....pretty much whatever you want. Then after they dry dip them in chocolate or cocoa or powdered sugar, etc. Yummy!

Diana

AmyBeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyBeth Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 7:39pm
post #6 of 12

I add cream cheese or pudding to my cake scraps until they are moist, form them in to balls and then dip them.
There is a recipe on this website for cake balls though.
Mostly I use whatever Ihave on hand that will make the cake formable and will taste good with it. I have even used peanut butter before!

jenncowin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncowin Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 7:39pm
post #7 of 12

You can search the recipe section for the recipe. I haven't made them myself, but I have looked at some recipes and have seen several variations on the other ingredients that make the ball keep it's shape.

Jasra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasra Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 7:41pm
post #8 of 12

Here's a link to another thread about cake balls:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-11673-cake.html+balls

I haven't tried them yet but I am saving my cake scraps! icon_smile.gif

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 7:44pm
post #9 of 12

hmmm .. I read the link for the directions ... I THINK I understand ... I have never ever done these before .. but they sound pretty good .. something that is easy and quick to do ... I think I will try these next time I have scraps left over ... oh yeah, when you measure them out the directions said two cups scrap cake ... now is that smooshed cake? or light and fluffy cake? I guess it would not matter? How long does cake scrap last if I dont have enough after leveling one or two cakes? sorry for so many questions ....

Rainbow Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 7:50pm
post #10 of 12

I usually smoosh my cake scraps into the 2 cups. I have used cake scraps that have been frozen up to a month. They were in a freezer bag and wrapped in hd aluminum foil. You can make a cake and make these. I did for a friend to take as treats for her birthday at work. They are really easy icon_biggrin.gif

Sue

Marksgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marksgirl Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 7:53pm
post #11 of 12

I don't know about you all, but I can't keep the cake scraps away from kids & husband. icon_lol.gif

Rainbow Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 7:59pm
post #12 of 12

I know what you mean...I have to get the scraps in the freezer asap! icon_biggrin.gif

Sue

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%