Cutting A Stacked Cake

Decorating By familycakemaker Updated 7 Sep 2006 , 12:23pm by indydebi

familycakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
familycakemaker Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 10:46pm
post #1 of 3

I have a question about cutting stacked cakes. (More specifically, how do you cut one?) I'm thinking of a cake that has three layers, with the bottom one being the largest and the top one being the smallest. It would be way too tall to simply cut like a two layer cake, so I am assuming you would take the layers apart, cut each circle into a half circle, then slice. Is this right? But won't the tops of the bottom two layers look pretty messy? Thanks for any tips.

2 replies
clink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clink Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 10:58pm
post #2 of 3

Dear Family cake maker, the 3 tiered effect you are going for is much easier if you use 3 different size pans. I use a 10", an 8" and a 6" to get that effect youre going for. I'm sure you could split, and cut, but then you'd be dealing with a whole lot of crumbs, not to mention the fragility of the cake. Remember when you stack them, put 1/8" dowels and cardboard in each layer so the next layer has something strong to rest on, and so the cake is not resting on cake. Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Sep 2006 , 12:23pm
post #3 of 3

making the dowels 'slightly' taller, as suggested above, is good advice. I know Martha Stewart tells you to start at the top and cut (ie. cut the smaller tiers first), but I prefer to cut the largest tier first. If there's any leftover cake, it will be the smaller, easy to store tiers. I remove the top two tiers (don't panic....it's pretty easy) and set them on the cake table, sort of like a mini-wedding cake centerpiece.

I also don't use the 'circle method' as in the Wilton charts. I find it too messy (who can cut a perfect circle?). I cut a 2" strip in the cake, then I cut that strip into 1" to 1.5" pieces (ergo the 1"x2" wedding cake slice). When that's done, I cut another 2" strip and repeat. Super easy, and very uniform pieces.

I was watching Martha Steward one day when a caller asked how to cut a cake. She described the circle-method as "just like your mother cut your birthday cakes". Holy cow, no one I knew ever cut a cake like that at home! She definitely travels in a different social circle than I do if that was the norm she grew up in.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%