What Do I Use To Make Cakes Come Out Cleanly From Pans?

Decorating By doots53 Updated 6 Sep 2006 , 1:51pm by Sweetcakes23

doots53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doots53 Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 6:08am
post #1 of 31

I was wondering what is the best method for lining a pan, oil, butter, parchment. What do you guys think? I am a newbie at all this! I need the basics! I want the cake to come out smoothly from pan. Thanks! icon_redface.gif

30 replies
ashlymomx2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashlymomx2 Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 6:15am
post #2 of 31

I use Wilton cake release that is in the spray can and love it, i know some people make something at home that does similar job

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 6:28am
post #3 of 31

I always grease my pans and then I cover the bottoms with parchment paper. My very first cake was such a disaster because it stuck so bad that now this is what I always do.

Lazy_Susan

Lousaria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lousaria Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 6:45am
post #4 of 31

I use the Wilton cake release in the bottle. I just brush it on with a silicon brush and I never have any problems.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 8:19am
post #5 of 31

You can mix equal parts oil, shortening and flour in your mixer, then brush on pans to prevent sticking.
It works great, is less expensive, you can make as much or as little as you want, and it will keep well for a long time. Janice

vanz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanz Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 2:32pm
post #6 of 31

I read in a book that parchment paper works great, even without greasing. I tried it and works all the time. It is more time saving for me & easy to do. It also save some calories from the grease... LOL

doots53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doots53 Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 3:01pm
post #7 of 31

cool thanks! icon_smile.gif

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 4:50pm
post #8 of 31

I use the old fashion technique of coating the pan with Crisco, then lightly covering with flour. Get it even in the pan then shake out the loose flour into the sink. Works beautifully! I used to use cake release, but seems like just one more thing to have to buy. icon_rolleyes.gif

bellejoey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellejoey Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 4:59pm
post #9 of 31

In baking school we used the "SPS" method. That is spray pan, parchment paper, and spray paper again. I can say, that it worked like a charm, at school and at home.

kstgelais4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstgelais4 Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 5:02pm
post #10 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendysue

I use the old fashion technique of coating the pan with Crisco, then lightly covering with flour. Get it even in the pan then shake out the loose flour into the sink. Works beautifully! I used to use cake release, but seems like just one more thing to have to buy. icon_rolleyes.gif

This is exactly what I do. Works perfect every time. I am afriad to try something else, because I don't want it to fail. lol.
Kelly

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 5:11pm
post #11 of 31

Ditto on what Wendy does.......................... icon_biggrin.gif

bellejoey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellejoey Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 5:26pm
post #12 of 31

Just like vanz wrote, parchment saves the most time..you don't even need to spray if you don't want to. It's best to spray first though. When you flip your cake out after cooling, and peel the paper away,it really looks like velvet. Besides, you want to put your concentration toward your cake, not having to worry that a piece of your cake stuck to the pan. Worry Free!

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 5:30pm
post #13 of 31

SPS...always.... spray parchment spray

mqguffey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mqguffey Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 5:34pm
post #14 of 31

I like the Baker's Joy or spray Crisco w/Flour. Both work great. I found a big can at a restaurant supply store for cheap.

chocolate1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolate1 Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 6:17pm
post #15 of 31

I was using Wilton "quick release" then Pam brand has come out with "flour" for baking in their cans now so I tried it and the cake came out perfect with no crumbs and in addition I do line the bottom with wax paper..perfect every time..happy icing, C.

Jasra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasra Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 9:27pm
post #16 of 31

I have always used Wilton cake release, but I think I will try making my own when I run out. Thanks veejaytx (Janice) I didn't know how to make it.

jstritt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jstritt Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 10:33pm
post #17 of 31

I use "pan grease" - not sure what the brand is. It is basically a glorified Crisco. I read that using the nonstick spray on pans can damage them, so I never use this. I have ruined many a cookie sheet using the spray.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 2:18am
post #18 of 31

Years ago it was Crisco and flour - now I always use a Pam-type spray that has flour in it - currently using Bak-Kleene. Works like a CHARM! Used Pam on all my pans for years, even before it contained flour, never an issue for me, works great on all 3D/shaped pans as well. It's just too hard to use Crisco and flour and get it in all the shapes.

BeckySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeckySue Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 2:33am
post #19 of 31

If I am doing a character pan or something difficult to coat like that, I use Baker's Joy.... If it is just a regular pan I use Crisco like some of the others here, but instead of dusting with flour, I use sugar. That is the way my grandmother used to do it and it works great!!

nenufares Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nenufares Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 2:43am
post #20 of 31

I always line my pans with parchment paper (both bottoms and sides), never had any problem, cakes como out in 1 piece.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 11:07am
post #21 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckySue

instead of dusting with flour, I use sugar. That is the way my grandmother used to do it and it works great!!

Interesting! What kind of sugar? Granulated or powdered?

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 5:53pm
post #22 of 31

I usually use the Wilton Cake Release; I ran out so I used the cake release recipe on this site, it works great!!!

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 6:02pm
post #23 of 31

I have found the most effective way to prevent sticking is to use Crisco spray w/flour and make sure your cake is actually done before taking it out of the oven. Also make sure you let it set for atleast 10 minutes in the pan on a rack....a really moist cake will come out in pieces if you don't let a cool just a little.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 6:29pm
post #24 of 31

The two P's work great for me.... parchment and Pam. I cut all my parchment circles while watching TV and then they are ready to go when I need them. I even use them on the 6" because it is easier then having the cake stick and break. I have never had on problem since I started w/ the parchment.

I tried to non-stick flour spray stuff but it was a bit stinky icon_redface.gif so I chucked it.

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 8:04pm
post #25 of 31

so you all sit and literally cut out parchment circles? oy! i would like to use them but don't think i have the patience to cut them all out.

chrysb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrysb Posted 5 Sep 2006 , 10:33pm
post #26 of 31

I use the store brand (Krogers) of the cake release, and have had no problem. Even if it sits for a little while the cake comes out. Chrysb

newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 12:39am
post #27 of 31

I have a few different methods based on what type of cake I'm making.

If I'm making a "from scratch" cake, I will spray the pan, then use confectioners suger. Doesn't give a "floury" taste to my cakes.

If I'm making a cake from a box mix, I will spray the pan then use just a smidgen of the dry cake mix, and sprinkle it in the pan to coat. Of course I prep the pans first before mixing the cake.

Sometimes I'll use parchment paper, but it just depends on the style of cake I'm making.

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 11:24am
post #28 of 31

I agree, SPS, spray, parchment or wax paper and then spray again. Works everytime. Pull the paper away slowly and carefully, and you'll have a beautiful "canvas" to decorate.

IamSusie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IamSusie Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 11:38am
post #29 of 31

I make my own: 1 C. Crisco, 1 C. Flour, 1 C. Oil. Whip it up in your mixer until it's nice and creamy and then store it in an airtight container - keeps for a long long time on the shelf (no refrig). I've never had a problem with a cake sticking at all - this is what they taught us in cake class. No need to cut out parchment circles, etc. Just my 2¢. icon_biggrin.gif

mlynnb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlynnb Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 11:56am
post #30 of 31

I use the parchment paper also. No spray, crisco, ect. Just parchment paper circles. I have never had a problem with my cakes sticking. One time, when I was out of parchment paper, I used wax paper instead, and that worked too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%