I'm Officially A Cake Decorator

Decorating By GinaJuarez Updated 29 Jun 2005 , 9:30pm by bonnscakesAZ

GinaJuarez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GinaJuarez Posted 24 Jun 2005 , 5:03pm
post #1 of 9

I have decided that you are not truly a cake decorator until you have your first disaster!! icon_lol.gif j/k Well, last night, I had mine. I have been experimenting with all different kind of recipes for cakes. Last night I tried a Snickers cake. I have to make a 10 inch cake for class, and the recipe says to do it in a 9x13 pan. Also, the recipe I had does not stated exactly how much caramel it calls for. (it says 1 small bag, so I guessed and I think I got to few) I bake 1/2 the cake as instructed for 20 minutes. When I take it out, it looks almost done already. I think nothing of it, pour the melted caramel, which was really thin and put on the chocolate chips and walnuts. When I go to put the remainder of the cake mix on top, the filling ends up mixing with the cake mix, but i still bake it, figuring I have nothing to lose. It takes another 40 minutes before the middle is baked. The edges are completely burned and the bottom is stuck to the pan. icon_cry.gif

Needless to say, tonight, I get to bake another cake. On the bright side, the non-burned parts are really delicious!!!!

8 replies
charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 24 Jun 2005 , 5:15pm
post #2 of 9

oh man!! I hate it when that happens. This sounds like it would be really good!! Glad you at least got to sample some of the "not burned" parts!! icon_smile.gif

Charlotte

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 28 Jun 2005 , 2:22am
post #3 of 9

To keep your cake from burning, put a pan of water on the bottom rack.

Sorry to hear about your cake.

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 28 Jun 2005 , 5:29am
post #4 of 9

We live and we learn! some of my worst mistakes taught me the most...sorry about that...but it will icon_smile.gif get better! Keep your chin up!!

GinaJuarez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GinaJuarez Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 4:21pm
post #5 of 9

Something good did come out of this! Since the cake was just burned around the edges, I cut out the middle and made cake balls. I took them to work and everybody RAVED about them. They could not belive how good they were and everybody was asking for the recipe. IN my mind I was thinking, "Okay, well first you burn a cake, and then....." icon_biggrin.gif hahahaha.

Lemondrop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemondrop Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 4:29pm
post #6 of 9

I'm glad everything turned out right at the end icon_smile.gif

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 4:29pm
post #7 of 9

That is so funny!! It is good you made lemonade from lemons. thumbs_up.gif [/quote]

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 6:42pm
post #8 of 9

Way to go girl! thumbs_up.gif

bonnscakesAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonnscakesAZ Posted 29 Jun 2005 , 9:30pm
post #9 of 9

So glad everything worked out for you!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%