Melting Jolly Ranchers??

Sugar Work By gina1221 Updated 7 Oct 2011 , 11:07am by knlcox

gina1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gina1221 Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 12:56am
post #1 of 15

I have read in several places that jolly ranchers can be melted and poured into a mold. I want to make several "jewels" for decorating a cake. I have the mold and the jolly ranchers... Now I need to know, how do I melt the jolly ranchers? Microwave? Stove top? Do I need a special pan? Can I pour it directly into the plastic mold? Won't it be too hot? So many questions... I hope someone has some answers.

TIA

14 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 1:09am
post #2 of 15

smash them up into as close to dust as possible. (hammer works well, rolling pin works well, cast iron skillet works well --- and hard head children's heads work well -- just kidding on that last one!)

put in regular high sides saucepan

then add several tablespoonfuls of water and stir will -- it should be fully wet w/ some water still showing.

turn up the heat---and stir gently
helps to have wet brush to brush down inside walls of pan as it reaches boil.

USING a candy thermometer -- bring to hard crack stage for hardest candy when cast (the same as used to make lolli-pops and jolly-ranchers)

WARNING -- this is near 300 degrees!!!!! VERY DANGEROUS if mishandled... SEVERE BURNS -- 2nd degree!!!! easily possible -- if it gets on skin!!!!

then pour into molds made for this kind of high heat work.

regular chocolate molds won't take it.

gina1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gina1221 Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 1:15am
post #3 of 15

Thanks Doug!

This is exactly what i needed to know. thumbs_up.gif

Unfortunately, I don't think my molds will hold up to this kind of heat... oh well, on to plan B.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 1:19am
post #4 of 15

gina1221, if you decide to give it a try be sure to post the pictures so that we can see how they turn out!

Doug, Is there anything you don't know how to do? You amaze me.

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 1:26am
post #5 of 15

You can also melt them in the oven but you need some kind of barrier, shaped like the jewels.

I know that cookie dough is one, I've seen those jeweled cookies they make.

I'm wondering if you could use dough to shape the jewels and then sprinkle the smashed JR in the middle? Would it act like a barrier and then allow you to remove the baked dough so you have the jewel shape left? What would happen if you piped Royal icing into the shape you needed and then filled the middle with the candy?

Of course the jewel would be flat and not faceted.

I'm thinking outloud here and am probably making no sense at all.

Doug Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 1:31am
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Price

Doug, Is there anything you don't know how to do? You amaze me.

let's see:

spell
lose weight
find the fountain of youth
fix anything under the hood -- or nearly anywhere in or on a car or any othre machine (tho' VERY good at breaking them)
do math beyond what requires fingers and toes unless using Excel
dust
stop getting older
find the secret to winning the lottery
dance
pick a paint color other than beige
play any instrument with more than one finger at a time (singer here -- but only w/ music & conductor in front of me!)
grow anything more complicated than crabgrass and weeds
and there are many more things on the list.

food has been a facination since I was young (end result -- don't know how #2 above) -- and my mom was a wonderful teacher of how to make all kinds of things -- how many kids have made home-pulled taffy -- I have! or homemade egg noodle -- I have....(get the drift?) so my knowledge of making hard candys (and the OWWWWWWWCH!!!! too) are first hand from youth.

Doug Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 1:42am
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHATEFONDANT

You can also melt them in the oven but you need some kind of barrier, shaped like the jewels.

I know that cookie dough is one, I've seen those jeweled cookies they make.

I'm wondering if you could use dough to shape the jewels and then sprinkle the smashed JR in the middle? Would it act like a barrier and then allow you to remove the baked dough so you have the jewel shape left? What would happen if you piped Royal icing into the shape you needed and then filled the middle with the candy?

Of course the jewel would be flat and not faceted.

I'm thinking outloud here and am probably making no sense at all.

having made stained glass cookies many times (fav. at Christmas) the sugar and the dough tend to meld at the joint and you could never get a clean edge.

royal would just melt too...after all have to take to 350 to get sugar to melt without water -- and royal is just sugar and egg whites (which would probably burn at that point)

possible solution (i haven't tried this yet)

use aluminum foil to press into molds to get mold shape.

then support in bed of corn starch or flour (which will brown at oven temp) and then put crushed jolly ranchers or even colored sanding sugar in the foil molds and bake at 350 until melted.

take out and cool and strip off foil.

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 4 Sep 2006 , 1:50am
post #8 of 15

Never made those cookies but I see your point about the edges.

I made a disc of those melted candies for a cake that needed a stained glass background. I used a ring I cut from a coffee can for the barrier. Much too big for jewels.

You may be on to something Doug..with the foil, if you can get a clean impression.

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 6 Sep 2006 , 11:53am
post #9 of 15

I sold Pampered Chef for awhile and we had to do demos around christmas working with Jolly Ranchers. I just droped them into a high sided pan and and let them set, no stiring-I learned this the hard way! Once they were melted, I poured them into a greased stone mold and let them set. I guess cooking them whole takes so long they pretty high on the temp., but I never checked. Those were neat, I need to do more of those!

Charmanc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmanc Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 12:44am
post #10 of 15

I just did this and it worked great!!!
-Heat you oven to 350.
-Put Jolly Ranchers into a mini food processor and grind until powder.
-Line a cookie sheet with foil. Spray foil w/ a thin layer of non-stick cooking spray.
-Spray metal cookie cutters w/ non-stick cooking spray and place on cookie sheet.
-Fill cookie cutters with ground up Jolly ranchers and bake for 5 - 10 mins.
The Jolly Ranchers will stay inside of the molds!!! Very easy and looks great!!!

princesscatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesscatt Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 11:56pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

smash them up into as close to dust as possible. (hammer works well, rolling pin works well, cast iron skillet works well --- and hard head children's heads work well -- just kidding on that last one!)

then add several tablespoonfuls of water and stir will -- it should be fully wet w/ some water still showing.

USING a candy thermometer -- bring to hard crack stage for hardest candy when cast (the same as used to make lolli-pops and jolly-ranchers)

WARNING -- this is near 300 degrees!!!!! VERY DANGEROUS if mishandled...

SEVERE BURNS -- 2nd degree!!!! easily possible -- if it gets on skin!!!!

Can u use the melted candy to dip apples in? I normally make my own candy to dip the apples in but Thought about using the jolly ranchers to add some flavor

princesscatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesscatt Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 12:34am
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

WARNING -- this is near 300 degrees!!!!! VERY DANGEROUS if mishandled... SEVERE BURNS -- 2nd degree!!!! easily possible -- if it gets on skin!!!!

Sorry...first post was on my ipad...still not used to that thing!

Can u use the melted candy to dip apples in? I normally make my own candy to dip the apples in but Thought about using the jolly ranchers to add some flavor

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 12:51am
post #13 of 15

let's see:

spell
lose weight
find the fountain of youth
fix anything under the hood -- or nearly anywhere in or on a car or any othre machine (tho' VERY good at breaking them)
do math beyond what requires fingers and toes unless using Excel
dust
stop getting older
find the secret to winning the lottery
dance
pick a paint color other than beige
play any instrument with more than one finger at a time (singer here -- but only w/ music & conductor in front of me!)
grow anything more complicated than crabgrass and weeds
and there are many more things on the list.

food has been a facination since I was young (end result -- don't know how #2 above) -- and my mom was a wonderful teacher of how to make all kinds of things -- how many kids have made home-pulled taffy -- I have! or homemade egg noodle -- I have....(get the drift?) so my knowledge of making hard candys (and the OWWWWWWWCH!!!! too) are first hand from youth.[/quote]

This is funny I thought that I was the only mom that taught my kids to cook in the kitchen with everythng... I presently have 2 sons that love to cook (Not bakers) but chefs and they love it.. kodos to your mom icon_smile.gif

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 10:49am
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmanc

I just did this and it worked great!!!
-Heat you oven to 350.
-Put Jolly Ranchers into a mini food processor and grind until powder.
-Line a cookie sheet with foil. Spray foil w/ a thin layer of non-stick cooking spray.
-Spray metal cookie cutters w/ non-stick cooking spray and place on cookie sheet.
-Fill cookie cutters with ground up Jolly ranchers and bake for 5 - 10 mins.
The Jolly Ranchers will stay inside of the molds!!! Very easy and looks great!!!

I have tried doing this but they still stuck to the foil when I let them cool and set on the foil. If I try moving them before they are set they run and loose the shape. What am I doing wrong?

knlcox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knlcox Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 11:07am
post #15 of 15

I have melted Jolly Ranchers before just as Doug described and poured over small crushed chunks of ice for candy coral. I also put them in molds and it works great as long as you don't overcook or burn them! Then they taste awful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%