Tennessee Home Bakers

Business By AmandaPanda Updated 24 Sep 2007 , 2:59am by Cloudsmom

AmandaPanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaPanda Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 12:58am
post #1 of 80

Just to let you all know if you are interested in getting liscenced, they have a food safety course scheduled in crossville for August 28th! If anyone is interested in taking this course let me know I would love to have some buddies in class all day! I am already registered for it.

79 replies
mekaclayton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mekaclayton Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 1:12am
post #2 of 80

Hey AmandaPanda! Where's Crossville. I would love to attend and hang out. I don't have any cakes due that week either....yeah! icon_lol.gif What are the specifics, like what do I need to do to register, how much etc. I don't know what I did with the link you sent me before. Thanks again in advance, you're the greatest!

AmandaPanda Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 2:35am
post #3 of 80

it is $100, lasting from 8am-3pm.... you pay at the door, you just register over the phone first 50 people get in , the rest have to wait for another class to open up. Crossville is about 1.5 hours east of Nashville if that helps you out any.

I cannot find the number of the lady that I called but call this number 615-837-5193 and ask them for the number to register for the domestic kitchen food safety course ... they will know what you are talking abotu and send you in the right direction, the lady then just takes down your name number and address and adds you to the list of people who will take the course.

patticake1951 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticake1951 Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 2:47am
post #4 of 80

That's just up the road from me. I may check that out. I work in Crossville once a week. Thanks for the info. I might see you there.

mekaclayton Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 2:55am
post #5 of 80

ROAD TRIP!!! I love to travel and ANY time I can get away....I do. You have been so helpful....thanks so much. Hopefully I can make it. Going to pencil that in.

AmandaPanda Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 2:59am
post #6 of 80

you're welcome! I will have to make a post closer to the time and get a head count and see how many cc'ers will be there icon_smile.gif

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:17am
post #7 of 80

you know, there are several of us from the middle tennessee area. we really should get together for a lunch once a month or so, at least. i'm in franklin, panda, not far at all from you, and i know that nashvillecakes is is brentwood...speaking strictly for myself here, i'd love to have someone to go out to lunch with occasionally.

adult conversations....ones that don't include "poopoo", "peepee", or "potty"....god i miss it!!!!

starla

AmandaPanda Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:29am
post #8 of 80

Oh I think that is a great idea! I travel to Franklin a lot, I like it over that way. I did notice that there are a lot of us around the middle tennessee area though we really should organize some sort of a get together once or twice a month or so.

mekaclayton Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 5:22am
post #9 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlataylor

adult conversations....ones that don't include "poopoo", "peepee", or "potty"....god i miss it!!!!

starla

HA HA HA HA Now that's funny. I got 3...2 in the peepee, potpot, booboo phase.

patticake1951 Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:26pm
post #10 of 80

I just signed up for it. See ya there!

sandygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandygirl Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 4:44pm
post #11 of 80

Have you heard anything about if there will be another class soon? When I called to pre-register for this Crossville class, they said they don't have another one scheduled, but that has been about a month ago.

I am really having a hard time trying to decide it I should go, right now I am covered under the occasional rule (you don't have to be licensed if you only sell one cake per week) and this will be a 4 hour drive (one way) for me. I have a cake class to take Monday night so I can't drive part of the way Monday night.

I'm just not sure if I should wait until there is a closer class for me.

Anyway, enough of my whining, and back to the original question. Has anyone heard if there is another class scheduled?

Thanks

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 5:02pm
post #12 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaPanda

Oh I think that is a great idea! I travel to Franklin a lot, I like it over that way. I did notice that there are a lot of us around the middle tennessee area though we really should organize some sort of a get together once or twice a month or so.

Hey there... I am registered and look forward to meeting you. I love the idea of a monthly get together.. let's discuss it Tuesday.. I am about a 2 hour drive, and may drive over on Monday night; I don't want to be late for class, haha...... laura

CakesByLJ Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 5:05pm
post #13 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygirl

Have you heard anything about if there will be another class soon? When I called to pre-register for this Crossville class, they said they don't have another one scheduled, but that has been about a month ago.

I am really having a hard time trying to decide it I should go, right now I am covered under the occasional rule (you don't have to be licensed if you only sell one cake per week) and this will be a 4 hour drive (one way) for me. I have a cake class to take Monday night so I can't drive part of the way Monday night.

I'm just not sure if I should wait until there is a closer class for me.

Anyway, enough of my whining, and back to the original question. Has anyone heard if there is another class scheduled?

Thanks

What is this "occasional rule" ? I've never heard of it.....

sandygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandygirl Posted 25 Aug 2007 , 7:54pm
post #14 of 80

The "occasional rule" is probably one of those grey areas. The TN Health Depratment regs say that you have to be licensed unless it is for an occasional sale. I don't know if the regs tell what the occasional sale is or if it is something that someone told me, but it is only one cake per week. Of course, this means you can't advertise for the business.

I have every intention of getting my license, but with our weather the way it is, we are having to save every penny because my DH crops aren't looking too good. This and the long drive are making me lean toward waiting on getting licensed.

dogwalkin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogwalkin Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 2:56pm
post #15 of 80

I am in Nashville and just talked to someone this morning and he told me that they don't have a class scheduled as of now.

AmandaPanda Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 3:01pm
post #16 of 80

not one in nashville, the only scheduled class for all of tennessee is tomorrow in crossville ... I would call and talk to someone else this guy obviously does not know whathe is talkign about ... there is a lady in charge of sign up got the class I cannot remember her name right now but call and ask for the person in charge of the domestic kitchen health safety course.

CakesByLJ Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 4:08pm
post #17 of 80
Quote:

not one in nashville, the only scheduled class for all of tennessee is tomorrow in crossville ... I would call and talk to someone else this guy obviously does not know whathe is talkign about ... there is a lady in charge of sign up got the class I cannot remember her name right now but call and ask for the person in charge of the domestic kitchen health safety course.

Nancy Austin is the lady you need to speak with about the class. You can reach her at 865-974-7717, or e-mail: [email protected]
I am leaving for Crossville around noon today.. see ya tomorrow AmandaPanda

AmandaPanda Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 4:35pm
post #18 of 80

I do not think I am going to go icon_sad.gif The timing has turned out to be really bad even though I planned for it. my husband got a job offer form a company he used to work for and he accepted it and now because of the change and the company he is at now not goign to pay out his unused vacation pay we are goign to be going 2 weeks without pay and my income alone will not pay for us to live off that since mortgage is due at that time so I will not be able to afford the $100 fee this week. Plus I am just so sad to have to get rid of my dogs so I have decided just to wait it out and wait for a new class to be offered and maybe by that time we will be in a bigger house with more room and maybe even a yard to keep the dogs out there so we do not have to get rid of them. Plus I work 5 days a week until 1am then have to be up in the morning at 6:30 to get the kids off to school and keep house and I really think that having to keep my house perfect all the time for an inspector will be just too much for me to handle I am on the verge of breaking down as it is and I really think that this will just add too much stres and maybe it just is not the right timing for me. I HATE that I am not going but it just seems that something is telling me just to sit back and wait, I have a feeling if I do this now cakes will be a chore and a neusance instead of a fun paying hobby like they are now.

Let me know how it goes, I am really interested in knowing what all is required so I know exactly what I am getting myself into when I do go through the course.

patticake1951 Posted 27 Aug 2007 , 7:29pm
post #19 of 80

I am not going to be able to go either. I really wanted to, but this is one of my busy weeks for work, and I can't rearrange my week for it. Do I need to call and cancel or does it matter, if I just don't go?

dogwalkin Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 12:46pm
post #20 of 80

The guy that I talked to yesterday said that they do 2 home inspection a year. Do you know ahead of time when they will come to inspect? Or do they just show up? I work full time out of the home, so I would kinda need to know so that I could be home.

Also, can the separate refrigerator be in a seperate room, like a utility room? That is where mine would have to be. Also do you have to have a certain kind of 2 compartment sink?

TIA

AmandaPanda Posted 28 Aug 2007 , 1:04pm
post #21 of 80

the guy told me that you could put the separate fridge in teh garage if needed as long as no hazardouz materials are anywhere near it. they seem pretty relaxed .... and they do not schedule visits but he said they would get a feel for when you are home working on cakes and drop in around those times. that is what I was told when I questioned them.

CakesByLJ Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 3:09pm
post #22 of 80

Good Morning Tn Bakers~! I took the class yesterday for the Domestic Home Kitchen Certification.. I am sorry to report it turned out to be a waste of time and money. Late in the afternoon I found out, along with several others, that cake bakers (who sell by order) don't fall into this catagory. We must comply under Catering rules and regulations.. a completely different set of laws. I was not very happy about this discovery. After class I inquired who I should contact, and went to work on it first thing this morning.. it's true, if you want to do cakes you are licensed under catering, and must have a separate facility, and comply with Health Dept regs like any other commercial facility...... This is governed by county in Tn, so I suggest that you call your local Health Dept. for the laws in your county.
I am disappointed, and a bit p'ode that I spent a lot of money to find that out. I think they misled a lot of folks.... hey look at the bright side ... I can now make peach preserves to sell at the farmers market......... ROFL

AmandaPanda Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 3:13pm
post #23 of 80

wow, that is such a load of crap! WHY IN THE WOrLD would they not tell us that when we all called and spoke to them about it? I know I called 3 separate times asking questions and not once did they mention to me that you would fall under a different set of laws, that is so stupid.

I am so sorry you wasted your money on that. I know one thing with our financial troubles if I went to that class and came home with NOTHING I would have been p*ssed off. You shoulc call and get your money back since they failed to tell you that calss did not apply to you.

CakesByLJ Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 3:23pm
post #24 of 80

I am not done yet, haha..... I plan to go down and pick up a set of the regulations and read them. I think I might have felt better if they had at least apologized for misleading us... but that did not happen.........

AmandaPanda Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 3:27pm
post #25 of 80

pick up the catering regulations? I knwo there has to be a way around this, it seems a bit insane that you can bake goods and take them to the farmers market but you can't bake specialty cakes for birthday parties?

dogwalkin Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 4:48pm
post #26 of 80

That is crazy. When I called, I told them that I would be making a few cakes a month and they told me that the class that they just held would be the one I needed to take. I am only going to be making a few a month, so I think I am just going to try to stay under the radar and go on about my business. I know that probably isn't "RIGHT", but it will mostly be for friends and family.

kimkait Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimkait Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 7:50pm
post #27 of 80

I don't get it, my regulation paper says"Regulations for establishments utilizing domestic kitchen facilities for bakery and other non-potentially hazardous foods intended for sale." Where are they coming from? Is this so new maybe they don't understand it?

CakesByLJ Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 11:03pm
post #28 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimkait

I don't get it, my regulation paper says"Regulations for establishments utilizing domestic kitchen facilities for bakery and other non-potentially hazardous foods intended for sale." Where are they coming from? Is this so new maybe they don't understand it?

Actually the two gentlemen who taught the class, John Sanford and William C. Morris, are the ones who wrote the rules and regulations, and got the Domestic Kitchen Bill passed. I cannot answer why or how we all ended up in that class, which is inappropriate for our needs. To answer your question about bakery... this would be for those individuals who bake (example: fruit cakes) and sell them at farmers markets, or to grocers who resell them. Making preserves for resale would be another. It is actually for Manufacturing Food, and falls under the Dept of Agriculture. Those of us who bake and sell by the order fall under catering, who is governed by the Dept of Health. Frankly, I feel very mislead because most of us explained what we were going to do before we signed up for the class.
I wish I had better news. I am investigating other possibilities still.

AmandaPanda Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 11:07pm
post #29 of 80

I called my local health department and left a message if they don't call me back by noon I am gonna call again and see where i can get with this.

CakesByLJ Posted 29 Aug 2007 , 11:18pm
post #30 of 80
Quote:

I called my local health department and left a message if they don't call me back by noon I am gonna call again and see where i can get with this.

You go girl........ I met several ladies from all over the State, and they are just as upset as I was.. If we make enough noise, maybe somebody will hear us.......

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%