How Many Cups In A 6 Lb. Can Of Crisco? :-)

Decorating By LisaMS Updated 3 Sep 2006 , 12:34am by beachcakes

LisaMS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMS Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 11:27pm
post #1 of 16

Anyone measured this out? icon_smile.gif I guess I'll measure if I have to but I'm hoping someone will have already done this and can tell me. icon_smile.gif

15 replies
IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 11:34pm
post #2 of 16

There are 8 ounces to a cup. 16 ounces to a pound or two cups.

6x2 = 12 cups.

At least that is what makes sense to me.

LisaMS Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 11:40pm
post #3 of 16

Bless you Ihatefondant! Makes sense to me!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 11:42pm
post #4 of 16

I routinely get 14 c. out of the 6# can. (This is scraping every last bit out - LOL)

LisaMS Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 11:46pm
post #5 of 16

Hmmm...interesting! Thanks for the info beachcakes.

IHATEFONDANT Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 11:48pm
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcakes

I routinely get 14 c. out of the 6# can. (This is scraping every last bit out - LOL)

*L*..well there goes my math!!!! icon_lol.gif

koolaidstains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koolaidstains Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 11:53pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHATEFONDANT

There are 8 ounces to a cup. 16 ounces to a pound or two cups.
6x2 = 12 cups.
At least that is what makes sense to me.

This only works for fluid measurements. There are 8 fluid ounces to a cup.

Looking at my 3 pound can of crisco the serving size is 1 TBSP. There are 113 servings or 113 TBSP. There are 16 TBSP in a cup, so that comes out to 7.0625 cups in the 3 pound. So you should be able to get 14 cups from a 6 pound can. I can never scrape enough out at the end though LOL.

LisaMS Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 11:53pm
post #8 of 16

I think your math is fine. Honestly, Ihatefondant, I didn't even *think* about converting ounces to cups. Wasn't sure if a "solid" cup was the same amount as a "liquid" cup so I had to go in the kitchen and compare my liquid cup to a solid cup and lo and behold, they are the same. icon_smile.gif I don't know *why* I thought they were a little different.

LisaMS Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 11:57pm
post #9 of 16

Ah! Just read your post koolaid stains. So you *can't* convert solid like that? That's weird, because it does appear that my measuring cup (for solids) holds the same amount of liquid as my liquid measuring cup. Hmmm.

I'm going to guestimate 13 cups. icon_smile.gif Just trying to get some idea of costs.

IHATEFONDANT Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 11:59pm
post #10 of 16

Lisa..thanks for the vote of confidence...but...I've always been told to use a dry measuring cup for dry and a fluid for fluid.

There must be some difference to them...unless they just want to sell more cups. icon_lol.gif

koolaidstains Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 12:00am
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMS

I think your math is fine. Honestly, Ihatefondant, I didn't even *think* about converting ounces to cups. Wasn't sure if a "solid" cup was the same amount as a "liquid" cup so I had to go in the kitchen and compare my liquid cup to a solid cup and lo and behold, they are the same. icon_smile.gif I don't know *why* I thought they were a little different.

They are only different in terms of weight not volume. It's easy to get the two confused. For example 8 ounces of flour is by weight not volume. So a recipe calling for 8 ounces of flour IS NOT the same as 1 cup of flour.

However, 8 ounces of a liquid, like milk, soda, juice, and oil should all be 1 cup because they mean 8 fluid ounces.

A liquid and dry measuring cup holds the same amount of volume. I often use my "dry" measuring cups for liquids, you just have to make sure it's not bulging over the surface to get the right amount.

Did I make it more confusing? I know these kinds of questions come up a lot and it's really confusing when you have a recipe that using weights for everything and you need to convert. It's much simpler to just get a scale!

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 12:03am
post #12 of 16

I remember sitting down and trying to scale everything down... I found a 'deal' on the 3 packs of Crisco that is prepackaed into 1c. cubes.. this is so handy since Crisco is a nightmare to measure.... However, when I run out, I will not go out and pay $3.39 for 3 cups so I will be back to using my trusty handi-cup! Perfect for PB and crisco since you can slide it right out icon_smile.gif

koolaidstains Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 12:03am
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHATEFONDANT

Lisa..thanks for the vote of confidence...but...I've always been told to use a dry measuring cup for dry and a fluid for fluid.

There must be some difference to them...unless they just want to sell more cups. icon_lol.gif

LOL - The reason to use different cups is because the items you measure act differently. It's really hard to get 1 cup of flour in a liquid measuring cup because it's hard to get it perfectly even. In a dry cup you put extra on and swipe off the top to make it level.

If you put liquid in a "dry" cup you have to be careful that the water is level across the top and not making a hump that goes over the top or caving in.

But 1 cup is 1 cup no matter what. Just remember it's volume and not weight.

LisaMS Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 12:07am
post #14 of 16

Well, *my* head is spinning koolaidstains. LOL

(I don't think I use my brain enough. Weight cannot be converted to volume??? Let me try to think about this. lol Okay, a 6 lb. baby may not fit into 12 liquid cups, right??? icon_smile.gif I got it!)

slejdick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slejdick Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 12:24am
post #15 of 16

Think about the old question, "Which is heavier, a pound of feathers or a pound of lead?"

The answer, of course, is that they both weigh a pound, HOWEVER they certainly don't have the same volume. The same is true of most of the ingredients we use in baking.

Crisco has air whipped into it, so it's fluffier (less dense) than the oils it's made from. A cup will weigh less than 8 ounces (seems to me that is's a bit less than 7 ounces, maybe 6.7 ounces, IIRC).

There have been a couple of threads about the exact weight, but the easiest way is to go to the chart that Crimsicle posted in her photos, and it gives the exact weight of a cup (volume) of crisco. You can use that number to figure out how many cups are in the 6 lb. can.

hth a bit,

Laura.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 12:34am
post #16 of 16

I'm not so great at math, so I just write the number of cups I take out on the lid. I always get 14 when I'm done icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%