Sunbeam Stand Mixer

Decorating By Cindy_S Updated 13 Jul 2007 , 12:08pm by Cindy_S

Cindy_S Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy_S Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 12:54am
post #1 of 22

Does anybody have it and how do you like it? Does it hold up? Wal Mart sells them for about $100.00 plus tax. 350 watts of power, up to 4 quarts.

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

21 replies
momg9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momg9 Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 1:24am
post #2 of 22

I had a Sunbeam mixer about 12 years ago. I burned it out within a year. I've had my Kitchenaid for about 10 years and it's still going strong. I love my Kitchenaid.

tiffanypatton79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiffanypatton79 Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 1:43am
post #3 of 22

DON'T BUY IT i got one for my wedding on sale for 199 and the third time i used it i had a problem with the beater getting stuck in it, then i killed it while making royal icing.. on the fith use, i now use a hand mixer that was 5.99 and have had it three months icon_rolleyes.gif

Barbend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barbend Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 1:55am
post #4 of 22

I am on my third sunbeam mixer inless than a years time. The first one lasted one month and the motor stopped. I took it back to Wal-mart and they exchanged it for another one. The second lasted 4 months. I told Wal-mart about it and the again exchanged it for another one. Well, guess what? My third sunbeam mixer went out today. Getting a Kitchen Aid!!!!

coreenag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coreenag Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 1:56am
post #5 of 22

After killing 2 hand mixers in 1 week I bought the Sunbeam. Probably the same one you are looking at from Walmart. I have not had any problems with it but also haven't had much chance to use it. I haven't tried fondant yet but so far batters and icing have been no problem. I really wanted the KA but couldn't justify spending that much yet. (I've just started decorating cakes). HTH!

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 1:58am
post #6 of 22

I was in the middle of baking for a fundraiser and in crisis mode for a stand mixer. I don't like the new KA's and wasn't going to buy one of those to "get me by"

I picked up the biggest Sunbeam Wal-Mart had and returned it the next day.

Nuff said!!

I have a Bosch I swear by. Well worth the money. I also recently bought a Hobart Kitchen Aid off eBay and love it. They're much better machines than the new ones.

Barbend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barbend Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 2:00am
post #7 of 22

Just to add to my post... I have only used the mixer for cake batter and buttercream icing. I never used iit for difficult mixing such as fondant or royal icing. I could not imagine it holding up for no time if you plan to mix these items.

jackfrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackfrost Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 2:10am
post #8 of 22

I have 3 KA's each time I upgraded. I still love my first one and still going strong after 30 years. I highly recommend KA.

ebeth1998 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ebeth1998 Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 2:14am
post #9 of 22

I am NEW to cake baking and decorating....

I bought the exact model- Not wanting to buy a KA quite yet. I've only used it for cake mixes and buttercream.

And honestly I really like it. My favorite feature is that the bowl spins.... making it very EASY to scrape the sides while it is still mixing.

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 2:14am
post #10 of 22

I would like to recommend the Cook's stand mixer from JCPenney's. My hubby purchased me one for my birthday and it's excellent!!! It's a little pricey but a hellofalot cheaper then a KA lol. It's 700 watts of power and I think 10-12 speed settings, it's a pretty matalic gray and black, suction cups to the counter/stove top, and comes with 3 attachments and 1 bowl plus the splash shield. The whipper and beater are hard cast iron or something similar, they are heavy duty and very durable. The wisk attachment is the same material at the connection but then goes into heavy duty wire wisk icon_wink.gif.

When he purchased mine it was on sale at JCPenney stores as well as online for $150.~ and just checked and it still is. I love this mixer! It's higher wattage then the highest priced KA and is much much cheaper and more in my price range lol. I think if you are going to invest in a stand mixer, which is a great investment!, you should start with this one. It's better and cheaper still then the cheapest KA mixer on the market. icon_wink.gif

Not bashing KA at all gang please don't think I am, I just know what it's like to not have the money laying around to buy what you want and this mixer was a life saver for me because just after we bought this I had major issues with my vehicle and hubby risked losing his job due to no transportation and had I bought the KA like I was going to we wouldn't have had the money to fix the car lol icon_wink.gif

Here is the link to JCPenney's website. http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/ProductsHOM.aspx?DeptID=25439&CatID=26975&CatTyp=DEP&ItemTyp=C&GrpTyp=PRD&ItemID=1010d86&ProdSeq=10&Cat=mixers%2baccess.&Dep=Housewares&PCat=SMALL+ELECTRICS&PCatID=25874&RefPage=ProductList&Sale=&ProdCount=23&RecPtr=&ShowMenu=&TTYP=&ShopBy=0&RefPageName=WindowSolutionHOM.aspx&RefCatID=25874&RefDeptID=25439&Page=2&CmCatId=25439|25874|26975

Man that's a huge link lol.... and the direct link was even bigger... if it doesn't work just go to www.jcpenney.com and search Cook's stand mixer and it'll come right up! It's half price right now which is excellent!!!!! icon_wink.gif

Editted to add.... at $50.~ more then what that sunbeam is gonna cost you.... I'd go for the Cook's hun. It's really a great buy. I haven't had a single issue with it to date. We use it for cakes, BC, brownies, everything! including mashed potatoes lol. Hubby can turn out a double batch of butter cream in less then 15 minutes in this baby icon_wink.gif

Jenni2383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenni2383 Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 2:15am
post #11 of 22

I have a KA, it's 15 years old. I have only used it for fondant once, as I'm a new cake decorating addict. But I've used it for everything from grating carrots (today I made a carrot cake) and meat to making cookies, cakes, icing, meat loaf (no meat under finger nails that way). My mom has had her's for around 30 years!!!! Kitchen Aids rule!
They are around $250 to $300, I just got a new one at Lowe's for my shop and it was on sale for $249, I told dh it was because it was red (just like all of Dale Jr's stuff, red and on sale icon_sad.gif )

jamhays Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamhays Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 2:16am
post #12 of 22

I have had my Sunbeam for over a year. So far so good, but I only mix batter & bc in mine. I did royal icing in it once. I have to say that I'm not fond of the plastic platform the bowl sits on while mixing, it always seems like it's fixing to break. But it had more HP & watts than the KA I was looking at. As soon as I can afford it, I'll get a bigger KA or something.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 2:30am
post #13 of 22

If you have the money buy the 4.5 quart KA at Walmart, it's under $200 and I had one for 7 years. If you have more money get a bigger KA.

My husband bought me the first KA after I went through a Sunbeam in under a year, mine was a cheaper model and I wasn't doing alot of cakes at the time.
If you go through a $100 mixer every year that's $700 in the course of the 7 years I had my mixer, the $200 was far cheaper in the end.
When my mixer started going I talked my husband into the 6 quart, he went for it figuring it'll be cheaper in the long run for him. icon_lol.gif

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 2:30am
post #14 of 22

I had a Sunbeam and it broke, a friend of mine bought one last year and hers broke. I have 2 KA's and LOVE them both, one I bought on Ebay used the other I bought new.

TRisser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TRisser Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 2:34am
post #15 of 22

I have a sunbeam and love it love it love it. I don't do MMF or royal icing but its been spectacular for everything I do.

sun33082 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sun33082 Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 2:42am
post #16 of 22

I've had my Sunbeam Heritage series for over a year and a half and have had no problems. I mix 2-3 cake mixes and up to 3 batches of icing it in at a time. I make royal icing in it as well. It does get a little warm with the royal icing.

They definitely don't make mixers like they used to though. My mom had a Sunbeam Heritage Series for over 20 years and the only reason it's not still being used is because the turning mechinism broke and it's too old to get a part for. So if we use it, we gotta turn the bowl ourselves lol. Anyways, that's why she bought me the Sunbeam I have. I can definitely tell a difference in the motors though. The 30 year old one sounds much stronger.

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 2:58am
post #17 of 22

I had a SUnbeam for about six years, it did great. I used it all the time to do almost everything from icing, batter, potatoes. I used it one time to make Royal Icing, the beaters got stuck, when that happened the motor burned up.
It could have been the mixer or the operator.
I'm holding out for a new stand mixer. Not sure yet which one. I'm scoping out the restaurant supply stores in my area.

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 3:00am
post #18 of 22

I recently (1 week ago!) replaced my Sunbeam Mixmaster stand mixer. It was 10 years old and still ran beautifully. A few months ago I broke a plastic piece off inside where the motor head attaches to the base, then a few weeks ago I broke the other one. Mine was the 275 watt with the 4 qt bowl. It was a great mixer and I definitely got my monies worth out of it, but now that I have a KA I realize the difference.

I went on eBay and got a brand new KA Pro Series 600 6 qt. It is AwEsOmE!!! It's also huge. I couldn't believe how big it was when I put it on the counter! Anyway, with shipping I paid $295. There are lots of them going for much less and even a used KA is better than anything else. Except maybe the Cooks brand from Penneys - that sounds like a real deal.

If you really can't get a KA go for the Cooks, but the Sunbeam is a great starter one for the money.

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 3:04am
post #19 of 22

I have a Cook's mixer from JC Penney's and I love it!!!! I recently inherited a KA from my aunt. She taught me everything I know about baking and due to Alzheimer's she had to be put into a nursing home. Her KA is one of the older ones built by Hobart and it runs like a charm. I have only mixed one batch at the time of buttercream in it but I will mix 3 at the time in my Cook's and it never slows down. I will probably always "baby" the KA because it is sentimental but that Cook's is a work horse.

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 3:32am
post #20 of 22

I like, OhMyGoodies got the COOKS 700, DH got it for my birthday/mothers together gift. He paid $169.00 at JCPenney's Store (thats without tax), I love it, it's a little loud, but worth it to get the icing I get.....sure beats the hand mixer I was using. Now I can make a full batch of icing (the full batch I make turns out to be about a gallon & 1 qt. of icing) at one time.

Knowing we didn't have the money to buy a KA , he got the COOKS 700...but I am so happy with it and happy DH bought it. It turn out to be a very wonderful gift.....and whats so funny he knows nothing about mixers, his words where, he knew if it was 700 watts and had 12 speeds, he knew it beat the hand held.... icon_biggrin.gif . I think he saw me eye balling it about 50 times on their web site icon_lol.gif

My sister in law got her mothers Sunbeam, when she pass away (it's 15 to 18yrs. old) and she still uses it....but it is about on it's last legs.It's like another poster said....they don't make things like they use to....sorry I can't help you with what the Sunbeam would be like in this day of time.

God Bless,
Sharon

mccorda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccorda Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 4:07am
post #21 of 22

I've had 3 12-speed Sunbeams in the past 25 years. The first two, I broke by getting my rubber scraper caught between the beaters - oops. The one I have now came with glass bowls but I use the stainless steel bowls that came with a previous model.
I also like the fact that I can scrape the sides of the bowl as it turns. (I just gotta learn to be careful not to get too close to the beaters) icon_smile.gif
The other thing I like about it is that when I have a large amount of something to blend together, I can remove the mixer from the stand and use it like a handheld in this huge stainless bowl that I have. I don't do it often, but I'm glad that I can.
I have used it for cake (and cheesecake) batter and buttercream frosting, whipping heavy cream and beating egg whites. I've always liked my Sunbeam.

Cindy_S Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy_S Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 12:08pm
post #22 of 22

Thanks everybody. Mine will only be used for mixing buttercream icing. I will stick with my handheld for mixing cakes (it's a sunbeam). Right now I don't make that many cakes because of my handheld mixer. It just won't handle it. So I'm shopping, looking around and getting opinions to see what my options will be.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%