Piping Gel

Decorating By kiminikakes Updated 3 Sep 2006 , 7:05pm by kiminikakes

kiminikakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiminikakes Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 9:47pm
post #1 of 8

Hi, Does anyone know if piping gel goes bad? I'm new to this and have had the same piping gel from class. Thank you.

7 replies
LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 3:51am
post #2 of 8

I THINK it's good for several months. There is nothing on my container at home that tells anything.

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 4:48am
post #3 of 8

hi....it doesnt go bad persay.... i had some that got mold on top like a crust....i just scraped that off and a little more to be sure it was all gone and was good to go.... i did eventually have to throw it out because it got super runny. maybe in that respect it went "bad".

frulund2600 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frulund2600 Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 5:04am
post #4 of 8

If it has mold on it, you are not safe with just scraping away what is visible to the eye, it can easily spread itself right to the bottom of the container. When there is mold on jam, bread etc. you have to throw it all away, because the mold most likely have spread all over - you just can't see it.

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 4:09pm
post #5 of 8

i wanst aware of that. thanks for the info... i havent bought piping gel since then so i am safe. icon_wink.gif

Irish245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Irish245 Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 4:17pm
post #6 of 8

Hi everyone....first time posting....

I used to use piping gel all the time for transferring patterns onto my cakes. One day I bought the tube of white gel for a change. Soooo much nicer for outlining transfers!!! It's all I've used since! I still do buy the gel for things like water on a cake, etc. but I did find that if you don't use it for a while, mine got all watery.

Irish

ShelbysYummys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelbysYummys Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 4:19pm
post #7 of 8

Mines heck of old way over 2 years. I just checked it. mixed it up and still seems ok? Mold free icon_biggrin.gif

kiminikakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiminikakes Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 7:05pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you to all who replied. It helped. Also, liked the idea about using teh white gel.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%