What Am I Doing Wrong . . .

Decorating By srodge1 Updated 15 Jul 2007 , 5:51am by jessicacourtney1

srodge1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srodge1 Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 9:48pm
post #1 of 14

Here's my problem . . . I bake a 2-layered cake, let it cool, fill it, stack it, and ice both layers with buttercream. So far, everything looks good.

After the cake sets a while, you can start to see the sides buldging where the layers meet. By the time I get through decorating the cake, you can see where the layers meet really well. (see Nicole's Wedding Cake in my photos)

I have tried stopping the filling 1/2" away from the edge so it doesn't buldge out. I tried stopping the filling 1" away from the edge . . . but that didn't help.

I really believe it's not the filling buldging out, but the cake is so moist that it is compressing. One of the best things going for my cakes is that they are so moist, and (I think) there lies the problem.

I use Duncan Hines box mix, and the only thing unusual that I do is AS SOON AS it comes out of the oven, I cover it with tin foil. This traps all the moisture in the cake.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions? I know it's my cake and not the icing. And I really like how moist the cakes are.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

Shirley from Texas

13 replies
Karabear1125 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karabear1125 Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 10:08pm
post #2 of 14

Hi Shirley,

I can't help you but I just wanted to give you a bump because I've been having the same troubles lately with the past couple of cakes that I've done. I too know it's not the icing cause I let it sit and rest for a couple hours after I stack the cake.

I REALLY HOPE someone comes along and can help.

icon_smile.gif
Michelle

GaPeach2430139 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GaPeach2430139 Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 11:03pm
post #3 of 14

I am far from an expert and you may think I'm crazy for even asking, but did you use dowel rods and support each layer? Thats all I can think of. Sounds like it may be too heavy and its exploding out the sides. I had a fondant covered cake do the same thing to me. icon_sad.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 11:18pm
post #4 of 14

This is the best visual I've seen on preventing bulging:

http://www.cakeboss.com/PreventBulging.aspx

SueBuddy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueBuddy Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 4:56am
post #5 of 14

Yea, the cake boss thing is what I was going to say, only way better then I could ever explain it. Cake always settles and sinks so the best thing to do is after filling and crumb coat (if you crumb coat) let the cake sit and rest for awhile. Overnight in refrigerator is best, if possible.

Verina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Verina Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 5:56am
post #6 of 14

I agree with SueBuddy. I always bake the cake a day ahead and let it "rest" for a full day before icing and assembling it. Just seem to "stabilise" the cake some how.
HTH

meancat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meancat Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:52pm
post #7 of 14

I used to have that problem alot when I was using box cake mix - for really good stable results, I would start making them from scratch. I now do scratch on all my cakes and do not have that problem at all. I know scratch is a pain in the ass sometimes, but well worth it in the end. icon_biggrin.gif

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 4:10pm
post #8 of 14

I agree with the others at baking at least a day ahead of time........it will settle and there in lies part of the problem.........after I fill my cakes, I press down on the top firmly enough to have the damn of BC flatten a little, and then if some of the BC bulges out of the side, I take care of that before I crumb coat...........

CourtneysCustomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CourtneysCustomCakes Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 4:11pm
post #9 of 14

I really like to use Betty Crocker over Duncan Hines. It's still moist but it seem to hold up well.

I'd say put your cakes in the freezer to cool off and firm up (If your not torting them.) Your right to go in from the edge a bit. and how thick do you do your filling. I use an open cuppler(No Tip) to make my dam and only fill to just below the top of the dam. Then I press it down a little If I get seepage I use my finger to wipe it away( into the crevsace)

When I frost I just frost I don't worry about getting extra frosting into that void, that way if things move then they have a place to go.

But don't dispair everyone has this happen to them. And it's just a learning experience.

That cake looked really good, for your first cake. I wouldn't give up on them yet. I've had to do stacked cakes for birthday cakes as well.

C.C.C.

CakesOnly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesOnly Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 5:25am
post #10 of 14

I too have tat problem. I read an article in this site on that very subject. It said, after putting the filling in let it settle for a few hours before frosting. Well I did that and it didn't help. I even baked the cake the day before and put it into the freezer over night. And still it did no good. I really wish someone could give me the answer. icon_sad.gif

jessicacourtney1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessicacourtney1 Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 5:45am
post #11 of 14

i have had the same prob, my question is (im vry new to this) if I bake the cake tonight (no icing just bake the cake, do i put it in the fridge or cover and let it set out???? I have no idea i have been baking and decorating all in the same day and its a pain.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 5:47am
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicacourtney1

i have had the same prob, my question is (im vry new to this) if I bake the cake tonight (no icing just bake the cake, do i put it in the fridge or cover and let it set out???? I have no idea i have been baking and decorating all in the same day and its a pain.

Either ... but I'd cover it either way to avoid it drying out.

bethyboop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethyboop Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 5:47am
post #13 of 14

you can add an extra egg to the batter. the egg will stabelize the cake and make it firmer. when i think my cakes are too moist, this is how i fix them. it does not take away any moisture, it only adds firmness.

HTH

jessicacourtney1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessicacourtney1 Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 5:51am
post #14 of 14

i have tried the extra egg and it work wonderfully, thanks for clearing up the " to fridge or not to fridge" dilima

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%