Need Advice On Website

Decorating By moydear77 Updated 3 Sep 2006 , 4:55pm by moydear77

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 3:28pm
post #1 of 12

So I have installed the Google analytics to my website and it is great! I can track where everyone hits it to the city. I noticed that there was hits on http://www.victoria.worldweb.com/RestaurantsBars/Caterers/
Well I looked and it has my site linked to another persons business. I am sure this is a error, but want to personalize my site. It is just a gallery site for my friends and family to see what I a doing in the cake world. I have heard of pics being taken but how do you keep youe website from being taken. I bought the domaim name. Any suggestions?? Maybe a about me page?

MaryAnn

11 replies
moydear77 Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 3:56pm
post #2 of 12

Bump
Anyone???

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 4:35pm
post #3 of 12

I'm not sure what you mean by having your web-site taken. Unfortunately when you have a web-site that has public access (i.e. not locked with a password that you give to selected people) then you have to accept that people may choose to link to it etc. there's nothing you can do about it as it's not breaking any law. If someone is linking to your business and you don't want them to then you'll need to contact that web-site and ask that they remove your listing - they're not obliged to do it, but most likely they will. I'm not sure if this has helped as I didn't properly understand your post - but I hope I helped in some way!

moydear77 Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 4:49pm
post #4 of 12

I have a way of tracking my website. I noticed that I was getting hits from a source in BC. I checked it out and someone has a listing for there cake company. If you click on the link there website mine comes up. They are using my website for there ad on this site. I do not mind a link to it but not with there name , phone number and address on it. It is a ad with my website for there business.

moydear77 Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 6:00pm
post #5 of 12

Where is everyone???

katiebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katiebug Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 7:04pm
post #6 of 12

Okay I think I understand what you are saying, the first link where it list all the caterers, they have someone listed as 'Cakes by Mary-Ann' with a link to your site. So another Mary-Ann is taking credit for YOUR cakes! I would contact the webmaster and demand that they remove the link to your site!

moydear77 Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 7:44pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiebug

Okay I think I understand what you are saying, the first link where it list all the caterers, they have someone listed as 'Cakes by Mary-Ann' with a link to your site. So another Mary-Ann is taking credit for YOUR cakes! I would contact the webmaster and demand that they remove the link to your site!

Yes excactly!
I have a email into that website so hopefully it will be taken off.
Sorry to sound so confusing! I am sooooo mad! And I had a client check bounce today GRRRRRR.

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 8:20pm
post #8 of 12

Why not just put YOUR contact info (or at least your city) on your site.

moydear77 Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 8:33pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisieBake

Why not just put YOUR contact info (or at least your city) on your site.

Because it is considered advertising and not legal unless you are licensed. So there is very little info.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 10:58pm
post #10 of 12

I checked out the business and it really exists! Here's the listing from the Canadian Yellow pages:

http://canada411.yellowpages.ca/business/1%2C0/2151065.html?what=cakes%20by%20mary-ann&where=victoria

Cakes By Mary-Ann
Address : 1251 Miramar Drive, Victoria, BC V8X 5E5
Telephone : 250-658-1860
Category : Bakers Retail , Caterers , Wedding Planning, Supplies & Services
Directory : Victoria

I have to tell you, I'd call them, report them to the website, I'd contact the domain seller, and then I'd corrupt the site until these slackers took down the link! I'd think that you could take off all of the photos of cakes and put up a photo of a garbage dump or a donkey's hind quarters.....

Lordy, sometimes the world seems full of lazy $#%^&*#@ !

Rae

moydear77 Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 1:23am
post #11 of 12

I tried to call them and one number is disconnected and the other was busy all day! My webmaster is out for a day or two so I will probably either corrupt the site or put a pass code on it for a short time. Thanks for the advice! I actually have received emails from there clients and just thought it was coincidence--I know better now! I did not have the site tracked back then.

moydear77 Posted 3 Sep 2006 , 4:55pm
post #12 of 12

Well she returned my call today and explained that she did not have any part in this. They did it without her permission. She is conatacting the site to have it removed so we will see what happens!
GRRRRRR!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%