What Are The Measurements To A "1/4 Sheet Cake?

Decorating By danifani Updated 11 Jul 2007 , 8:51pm by indydebi

danifani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danifani Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 4:29pm
post #1 of 6

I thought I had seen this information in the forum before but I could not find it.

5 replies
justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 4:37pm
post #2 of 6

here is what a grocery store considers:

1/2 sheet to be 12 x 18 and you can get 40 - 48 pieces.

Full sheet pan Standard 24x16x2
3/4 sheet pan- 18X12X2
Half sheet pan Standard 16x12x2
Quarter sheet pan Standard 13x9

Quarter Sheets, Half Sheets, and Full Sheets Explained

The retail baking industry developed standard sizes for rectangular sheet cakes, beginning with their standard sheet pan size of 16 by 24 and dividing it into halves (half-sheet) or quarters (quarter-sheet). The manufacturers who supply paper and plastic items to the baking industry use these standard sizes to create a variety of cake boards, boxes, and domes.

In an effort to develop a unique market share, some manufacturers began promoting pans of slightly different sizes, selling mainly to home bakers through hobby and specialty stores. Since home bakers do not have the volume purchasing power of retail bakers, most of the paper and plastics manufacturers have not created boards or boxes to accommodate these sizes.

The bottom line: Boards and containers for sheet cakes will always be easier to find if you use the retail baking industry's standard size pans. You will save yourself a lot of frustration by sticking with the standards.

Baking and Paper Industry Standards; The sizes below are recognized as industry standards.

Quarter Sheet Cakes: 8 x 12 pan, 10 x 14 cardboard

Half Sheet Cakes: 12 x 16 pan, 13.5 to 14 x 18.5 cardboard

Full Sheet Cakes: 16 x 24 pan, 19 x 27 cardboard

Non-standard Sizes. These sizes are not standard sizes. Suitable boards and containers can be very difficult to find.

9 x 13 pan: We call it the large quarter size. Very few of the paper suppliers carry the boards (11 x 15) and boxes (12 x 16) for cakes made in 9 x 13 pans.

10 x 15 pan: Use the standard half sheet boards and boxes

11 x 15 pan: Use the standard half sheet boards and boxes

12 x 18 pan: We call it the large half size. This size pan will not fit in most home ovens. Wilton sells a set of 14 x 20 boards that can be used with this pan, but they sell no boxes. If you cannot locate a large half board (14 x 20) and box (14.5 x 20.5), you will have to use full sheet boards and boxes.

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 4:37pm
post #3 of 6

It varies from decorator to decorator and bakery to bakery. There is really not a set 1/4 sheet. You just need to decide what you want your 1/4, 1/2, and full sheet to be. For me, it is a 9 x 13.

bcsealine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcsealine Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 4:49pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you so much for this information. I have been wondering this myself.

danifani Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danifani Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 4:50pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you so much for taking the time to help. I needed it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 8:51pm
post #6 of 6

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%