Imbc Is It Really Worth The Effort?

Decorating By janabear Updated 17 Jan 2009 , 9:06pm by mcdonald

lisasweeta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisasweeta Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 6:28pm
post #31 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmmommy

for those that use the IMBC how do you get it white? Mine always seems to turn yellow?

Any suggestions?

The yellow is from the butter so you'll never get a perfectly white IMBC. It will always have a yellow tint. Some people have added a touch of violet coloring to it to try to make it white. I, myself, have not found this to work. I just think it looks grayish.
You will find that the "yellowness" of butter will vary from brand to brand. I find Land O' Lakes to be the most pale, so this may help.
You might also try a recipe with less butter and more egg whites.
Hope this helps!

adobewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adobewife Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 6:45pm
post #32 of 79

Sometimes it's more expensive, but I have found that European butters don't add yellow dye to their butter, I use Land O lake butter, or I have found a Europe butter that I use and they are almost white, and I get a lovely white icing. I think if you look around, there are some brands better than others.

sweetiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiemama Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 6:51pm
post #33 of 79

ChocolateandPeanutButter,
Do you mix the Martha recipe and the half and half recipe equal parts to create your buttercream?
Thanks!
Sweetiemama

MayWest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MayWest Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 7:10pm
post #34 of 79

I've never tried IMBC, but after reading this post I am definitely giving it a try ( I am tired of the gritty texture of BC).

Can someone tell me how long can you let your IMBC frosted cake sit out?

Can you make it in advance and store it in the fridge and for how long?

Dandelion, thanks for posting the video!!

Thanks!

chocolateandpeanutbutter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolateandpeanutbutter Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 7:16pm
post #35 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetiemama

ChocolateandPeanutButter,
Do you mix the Martha recipe and the half and half recipe equal parts to create your buttercream?
Thanks!
Sweetiemama

Yep, equal parts. More or less, they don't have to be exact. It's truly amazing!

I also like to add a little creme bouquet (Magic Line) or Princess flavouring to my buttercreams. Just adds a little interest. (Love that stuff!)

jenbenjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbenjr Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 7:33pm
post #36 of 79

I always use BC dream but I guess I will have to try IMBC. My family usually doesn't like to try new things (I used to use the all shortening bc and when I made bc dream they were upset but it turned out they loved it. That is all I use now.) I can't wait to try it now....I just won't tell them first and wait for the reactions!! icon_biggrin.gif

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 7:52pm
post #37 of 79

So anyone in a really hot climate (Texas like me) Use IMBC? I have been tempted to try it, but it seems like a lot of work for something to not turn out!

Also, does the IMBC work with the reconstituted egg whites like the bottom of the recipes state?

Stephanie

janabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janabear Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 8:35pm
post #38 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

I personally like the not-so-bright white color of the MBC's, but I would think you could use the same technique that you can with american buttercream.. just add the tiniest amount of violet gel color to it. And I mean TINY.. too much will make it grey-ish.

awesome tip! thanks for sharing!

sarahkate80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahkate80 Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 10:23pm
post #39 of 79

Dumb question of the day...

what is IMBC or SMBC. I am very clueless here!!

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 10:37pm
post #40 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by janabear

hi
i have never made this before, but would like to know if it really is that much better than reg. buttercream. i need to make a shower cake that is going to be covered in fondant. should i just use reg. buttercream for this? ( i use a 50.50 mix of shortening and butter anyway)
i really want to expand my skills and make delicious cakes, but i dont think i have tasted imbc either. so i cant say for myself what is better
would it be better to stick to the ol' buttercream and use a tasty filling?
please let me know what you think!

Only you can decide that, and the only way you will know is by trying it. But, if you want an icing that smooths like satin, is light and less sweet and tastes awfully good, then try the IMBC recipe I posted. It has a little less butter than most recipes and I like it better for that reason. It doesn't taste greasy and it is so easy to smooth. You can pipe borders, stringwork, writing with it but I think it is a bit soft for roses.
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2426-Italian-Meringue-Buttercream--Shirleys-Method.html

ShirleyW Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 10:49pm
post #41 of 79

[quote="chocolateandpeanutbutter"]Sorry, forgot to mention that there is an excellent tutorial on making IMBC at CakesCanada:

http://www.cakescanada.com/HowTo/IMBC2.pdf

I agree with most of that tutorial, but not on when to add the butter. I find if you don't beat the syrup and egg whites together until the outside of the bowl feels cool to the palms of your hands it will do exactly what she mentions, it will melt the butter and get soupy. Especially if the butter is at soft room temperature. Even if it does curdle and break it will eventually come together if you chill it for about 10 minutes in the fridge and rebeat at high spreed with the paddle attachment. I switch to the paddle beater when adding the butter. I use my butter at almost room temperature but it will still have a bit of chill to it, it will have some resistence when you press on the wrapped stick. I have cut the amount of butter down to 3 sticks, or 12 oz. I like the mouth feel better, it is not so buttery and yet it still beats up to a light, smooth texture. And adding that small amount of orange extract along with the vanilla gives it a very nice flavor.

ShirleyW Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 11:04pm
post #42 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarflowers

Is IMBC Italian Meringue Buttercream? (I'm not up on all of the acronyms). If so, it tastes fabulous. However, you would not be able to cover it with fondant. It is much too soft.

Even if you chilled the frosted cake, once it comes to room temperature, then you will have all kinds of possible issues. The thawing frosting will have condensation which can cause air pockets in your fondant. If that didn't happen, then there is a high possibility of the IMBC melting and oozing out from underneath the fondant. It would definitely make a mess when cutting.

Save the IMBC for special wedding cakes when the customers does not like fondant but does not mind paying the price for a silky, delicious frosting.

HTH

Michele

Michele, I use nothing but IMBC under my fondant and have never had a problem with condensation or bubbles. I do chill my iced cake completely before enrobing with the fondant. Or maybe it is because I use less butter? Not sure. The only problem I have with the icing is when the temperatire outside is 90 degrees or above. This icing just doesn't like warm weather.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 12:46am
post #43 of 79

I also have no issues with IMBC or SMBC under fondant.. ice the cake.. chill it a bit.. cover in fondant and viola.. no issues. Unless like Shirley said it's a zillion degrees out and then most icings will give you trouble.. the meringue buttercreams don't do well in the high heat, but normal circumstances they do just great! thumbs_up.gif

janabear Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 1:23am
post #44 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate80

Dumb question of the day...

what is IMBC or SMBC. I am very clueless here!!

italian meringue buttercream and swiss meringue buttercream

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 10:15pm
post #45 of 79

Alrighty! After reading the first page alone on this thread I had to give this a try today! I made my first batch just now and have to say it is very smooth and creamy but it's SO buttery tasting alone. I added some carmel flavoring and that is wonderful. I also made small individual batchs with cotton candy, bavarian creme, cheesecake, raspberry and marshmallow flavoring to see how they tasted. ( Lorann oil flavorings)

The marshmallow and cheesecake tasted best in my opinion. I only added a tiny bit to each bowl just to have a taste. I think with a whole batch it would need more.

I am used to an all Crisco buttercream so this super buttery taste may take some time to get used to. After coming to post my results, I then read that someone added a good vanilla. DUH! That is what I'll do next!

Now I'll have to see how well I can smooth it on the cake.

KimAZ

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 10:16pm
post #46 of 79

I forgot to ask...what is the difference between Swiss, Italian and French meringue buttercreams?

KimAZ

FromScratch Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 12:01am
post #47 of 79

IMBC and SMBC are basically the same.. you just cook the differently. IMBC you cook the sugar in water to the soft ball stage and add it to the meringue and with SMBC you cook the egg whites and the sugar before you whip them up. French buttercream is made with egg yolks rather than egg whites.. I have never made it.. but you make it like IMBC where you cook the sugar in water to the soft ball stage and add it to the whipped up eggs. I want to try this soon.. next time I make SMBC I'm going to use the yolks to try french buttercream.. sounds rich.

FromScratch Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 2:49am
post #48 of 79

Also.. did you use salted or unsalted butter? I find it is better with unsalted butter (or at least most of it being unsalted) and if you use less than the recipe calls for.. I find that 3 sticks to 5 whites and .5 lbs of sugar is a good ratio and I always add 2-3 TBSP of real vanilla. That makes a small enough batch for experimentation.. icon_biggrin.gif HTH's a little.

DesignerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignerCakes Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 7:26pm
post #49 of 79

I found out early on that most of the high end bakers, in particular, pastry chefs, only use IMBC, SMBC or FMBC. They won't even touch anything with shortening in it. I specifically asked this question of people like Colette Peters, Nick Lodge, B. Keith Ryder, Norm Davis and a few lesser known pastry chefs. They all said the same exact thing - never use shortening. They use one of the three listed above, or a combination of two.

I had never had it before until I started making cakes seriously. I use it as a filling as well as an icing for all my fondant cakes. I don't even like butter, but found that by testing a few things out, you can get the most delicious and delicate of flavors. Some of the things I use include white chocolate (among others), seedless rasberry preserves, and my favorite, Nutella (chocolate hazelnut spread). Lorann oils are also incredible. Try a little bit of the almond or lemon flavoring oils. They are spectacular and very inexpensive.

I only use shortening based icings on sheet cakes and am having the hardest time! I mainly work in fondant so I am a newbie when it comes to this other stuff.

I highly recommend IMBC. It may take a bit to get the hang of making it, but I would recommend reading Dede Wilson's book as well as Rose Levy Berenbaums's 'The Cake Bible'. They have the most detailed information on making IMBC. Dede Wilson also details everything that can go wrong with making it, and how to fix it! The results are outstanding and it gets easier and faster every time you make it.

Mysticakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mysticakes Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 7:57pm
post #50 of 79

Which of DeDe Wilson's books were you referring too? I know she has several and I would really like to get a good book with information about IMBC

janabear Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 8:01pm
post #51 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerela

I highly recommend IMBC. It may take a bit to get the hang of making it, but I would recommend reading Dede Wilson's book as well as Rose Levy Berenbaums's 'The Cake Bible'. They have the most detailed information on making IMBC. Dede Wilson also details everything that can go wrong with making it, and how to fix it! The results are outstanding and it gets easier and faster every time you make it.

thanks! i just got dede's book from the library and will definately be buying it. it is the book that got me to thinking about imbc in the first place. she has great info on how to make it, flavour it, freeze it, etc. and i agree with her theory that TASTE is what should be the #1 priority in a cake. she is not a fan of fondant, but i just love the looks you can get from it. i am waiting for the cake bible from the library.

kelleygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleygirl Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 8:35pm
post #52 of 79

I whip the butter almost 20 mnutes in a separate bowl before whipping the egg whites.
The longer you whip butter the whiter it gets.

I add the vanilla and a 1/4 tsp bright white to it and it comes out pretty white.
See a couple of my cakes with IMBC. I love it.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_740743.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_594503.html

Fiddlegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fiddlegirl Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 8:38pm
post #53 of 79

I have a question. How do I get IMBC thick enough to pipe? When ever I make it, it turns out too thin and runs together. Am I not beating it long enough?

Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

Fiddlegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fiddlegirl Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 9:05pm
post #54 of 79

Also, how do I make chocolate IMBC? Also what find of flavorings do I use to flavor IMBC?

Thanks!

kelleygirl Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 9:18pm
post #55 of 79

My favorite flavor is White Chocolate. It goes with almost any flavor cake.

I found this site one day just looking. I haven't tried any of them yet, but I will very soon.

http://www.recipelink.com/ch/1999/july/mcnaircakes4.html

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 9:36pm
post #56 of 79

kelleygirl - A side note on that link you posted --

I have the book that is mentioned in that link - it is one of the best investments I ever made. It is very easy to read, and covers all bases. His recipes are very good, too. I bought mine very reasonably from an eBay auction.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

DesignerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignerCakes Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 10:06pm
post #57 of 79

Dede Wilson's book is called 'Wedding Cakes You Can Make'. While many of the cakes are not the most trendy looking, the recipes - cakes and fillings, are all amazing. When I first bought this book and tried her recipe, I wrote her an email to thank her for being so detailed in her book. She actually emailed me back the following morning. I was quite surprised! She said that the original chapter she wrote on IMBC when writing her book was so detailed and long, that she had to reduce it significantly before it went to print. To date, this is the most detailed book on IMBC I have found.

Regarding the addition of chocolate, after making the IMBC (omitting the vanilla), melt down about a cup of chocolate - use only the best as this greatly affects the flavor. Ghiardelli chips are now available in most supermarkets and will only set you back a few dollars (under $3). Let the chocolate cool before adding it. Just mix it in to the IMBC.

If the IMBC is too soft, let it sit in the fridge for a bit, or sit your bowl in a larger bowl full of ice water (add ice and then water). This should thicken it up. It is not as versatile as shortening based buttercreams so it has it's limitations in terms of piping options. I make standard shell borders and also write with it, but mainly use it for fillings and under fondant.

I have tried beating the butter separately before adding it to the meringue, and I have just added it from the stick without beating it - both yielded the same results. The trick is to have room termperature butter, but not too soft and not too hard. If it's too hard when you add it to the meringue, it will be lumpy, however, Dede Wilson suggests taking a blow dryer and holding it up against the bowl while the mixer is running and it will warm up the butter just enough to blend smoothly. I did this once when I first starting learning how to make it and it worked like a charm! The ice method works to correct the opposite problem.

I learned other things about making IMBC that have proved most useful to me as no one source tells you everything. Not sure if anyone is interested, but I'll be happy to share if you like.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 10:12pm
post #58 of 79

Hey, Gingerela -

I am always looking to learn - send that info my way anytime!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

kelleygirl Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 11:13pm
post #59 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

kelleygirl - A side note on that link you posted --

I have the book that is mentioned in that link - it is one of the best investments I ever made. It is very easy to read, and covers all bases. His recipes are very good, too. I bought mine very reasonably from an eBay auction.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar,

What's the name of the book? I would love to get it.

Yorkiemum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yorkiemum Posted 14 Jul 2007 , 11:50pm
post #60 of 79

One of the Foodnetwork cake guys, I think his last name is brown, he's the one that wears dread locks-sent a cake to our office and we couldn't eat it because the buttercream was so sweet. Really smooth but way too sweet. Is IMBC real sweet? I hear buttery a lot but no mention of how sweet it is. I have a whole lot to learn and am going to try the chocolate this week.
The video was great. That makes it look really easy. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%