Wilton's Butter Cake

Baking By Lisha Updated 11 Jul 2005 , 2:47am by Ironbaker

Lisha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisha Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 8:31pm
post #1 of 13

Just wondering, has anyone tried making the Wilton's butter cake? I followed the directions completely, but ended up with a very moist cake that tasted like sweet flour with a little almond extract in it. My kids eat everything I cook, and they hated it. Does anyone know of a homemade recipe for a yellow cake that actually taste like a cake?

12 replies
delectablecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delectablecakes Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 8:49pm
post #2 of 13

I made that cake a couple of months ago and wasn't impressed at all with it either. Although I really like Wilton's white cake recipe.

PolishMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PolishMommy Posted 28 Jun 2005 , 5:09pm
post #3 of 13

I haven't done Wilton's, but I make the DH butter recipe golden and get rave reviews. Sorry, don't have any homemade recipes.

VickiC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickiC Posted 28 Jun 2005 , 5:16pm
post #4 of 13

Martha Stewart's yellow cake recipe is really good. It's on her website.

wandy27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wandy27 Posted 28 Jun 2005 , 5:25pm
post #5 of 13

Yellow Cake

3 cups flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup butter or margarine
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cup milk

Preheat oven 350. Prepare 2 nine inch round pans.
Sit together flour,baking powder and salt. Set aside.
Cream butter and sugar together until light.
Add eggs and vanilla to creamed mixture and beat until thoroughly mixed.
Add flour mixture to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Continue beating one minute.
Pour into prepared pans. Bake 30-35 mins.
Cool on grid 10 mins.
Aprox. 7 cups of batter

fytar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fytar Posted 28 Jun 2005 , 6:05pm
post #6 of 13

wandy27 - Would you recommend this yellow cake recipe for a 7-layer cake? Okay, just in case, I want to make sure we are talking the same language here - I'm new to baking and decorating - when I say 7-layer, I mean splitting (or torting - not sure if that is the correct term) two 2" or 3" layers into very thin layers. My sister wants a 7-layer yellow w/ choc icing.

Would this cake hold up to being cut so thinly? I don't want to end up with a pile of crumbs. I have the smaller Wilton Cake Level but don't really use it because, to be honest, I just don't really know how to use it without breaking the cake or getting it lopsided. I just level my cake layers while still in the pan with a long bread knife.

Does anyone have any advice? The cake my sister has in mind is very, very moist (but not fluffy - you know, not many air holes), almost silky texture. But it's definately not pound cake. I can't describe it. They are just sooooo good. But, she wants me to try my hand at it for her boyfriend's birthday.

wandy27 Posted 28 Jun 2005 , 6:16pm
post #7 of 13

No, I think this yellow cake is to fluffy to tort so thin. But you can use this recipe,

The recipe is:
6 sticks of butter
12 eggs
2 cups of sugar
3 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
1tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. salt

The eggs and butter make it denser

Sometimes I changed to the followin
4 sticks of buter
1 cup of canola oil
10 eggs
2 cups of sugar
3 1/2 cups of flour

fytar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fytar Posted 28 Jun 2005 , 6:22pm
post #8 of 13

thanks so much! i will give this a try and if i can remember to come back to this post, i'll let you all know how it turns out. thanks again wandy27!

wandy27 Posted 28 Jun 2005 , 6:27pm
post #9 of 13

you're very welcome...
I hope it comes out nice and yummy! thumbs_up.gif

Wandy

niki_10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niki_10 Posted 8 Jul 2005 , 5:27pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiC

Martha Stewart's yellow cake recipe is really good. It's on her website.

Wiping crumbs off chin...

I agree! icon_lol.gif

wandy27 Posted 8 Jul 2005 , 7:38pm
post #11 of 13

I don't know why but I can't open Martha's page on my computer icon_cry.gif

Wandy

Lisha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisha Posted 8 Jul 2005 , 8:22pm
post #12 of 13

I can't get that website to open either. Can someone email me the recipe to: [email protected]?

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 11 Jul 2005 , 2:47am
post #13 of 13

Here is one listed on her site for the "Yellow Cake with Lemon filling". This is the recipe for the yellow cake (2 8in. rounds):

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pans

3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pans

1 tablespoon baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 cups sugar

4 large eggs

1 1/4 cups buttermilk

1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

1. Arrange two racks in the center of oven, and heat oven to 350°. Line the bottoms of two 8-by-2-inch buttered cake pans with buttered parchment paper. Dust the bottoms and sides of pans with flour, and tap out any excess. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.

2. In the bowl of a standing mixer, cream butter at medium speed until softened, 1 to 2 minutes. Gradually add sugar, and continue until lightened, 3 to 4 minutes, scraping down sides once or twice. Gradually add eggs, beating after each addition until batter is no longer slick, stopping once or twice to scrape down the sides, about 5 minutes.

3. Slowly add the flour mixture on low speed, alternating with buttermilk, a little of each at a time, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Beat in vanilla.

4. Divide batter evenly between prepared pans. Bake for 25 minutes; rotate the pans in the oven if needed for even browning. Continue baking until a cake tester inserted into the center of each cake comes out clean, 10 to 20 minutes more. Transfer to wire racks to cool, 15 minutes. Remove cakes from pans; set cakes, top side down, on wire racks, and allow to cool completely, about 1 hour.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%