Cake Mix Extender And White Cake

Baking By newcakemommy Updated 27 Apr 2014 , 9:08am by nancylee61

newcakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newcakemommy Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 12:06am
post #1 of 28

O.K. - Because the mix calls for egg whites and the extender calls for an additional egg do I put in an egg or just the white icon_redface.gif ?
Thanks

27 replies
good36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
good36 Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 12:12am
post #2 of 28

I put in a whole egg. I use the extender all the time and get tons of compliment. Good luck.
Judy

fat-sissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fat-sissy Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 1:11am
post #3 of 28

Ditto here-I just add a whole egg!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 1:15am
post #4 of 28

The last time I did a white cake, I just put in all whole eggs. I guess it was a tiny bit off white, but good!

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 3:29am
post #5 of 28

What's the extender? icon_redface.gif

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 3:33am
post #6 of 28

It's a few ingredients you add to a mix to make more batter.

1 c flour
1 c sugar
1 c sour cream
1 egg
and 1 tsp flavoring (optional)

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 4:12am
post #7 of 28

Do you taste the sour cream once the cake is baked?

Does it make the cake heavier/denser?

So this extends the batter as opposed to "doctoring" a mix, like with pudding or something?

Sorry, I'm confused.

good36 Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 12:26pm
post #8 of 28

I does make the cake heavier but, great tasting! No you can not taste the sour cream or my husband would never eat it! Everyone loves it when I make it.
Judy

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 12:37pm
post #9 of 28

If you want a white white cake I'd just use the white of the extra egg, but with anything else use the whole egg. The sour cream makes it a little more dense but oh so good. Actually I think it adds a sort of angel food cake tang, and I like it. I haven't used it on a customer cake yet but my whole family sure loved it.

clc404 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clc404 Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 2:28pm
post #10 of 28

Hello everyone

I was wondering when you use the extender is this for just 1 box of cake mix or 2. Thanks

Cheryl C

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 2:32pm
post #11 of 28

that recipe is for one box of mix. You can double it for 2 if you need to make a bigger cake.

Mom_Of_4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom_Of_4 Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 2:35pm
post #12 of 28

So you can only use this with cake mixes, it doesn't work with scratch cakes, am I right? I must sound so stupid, but never heard of a cake extender!

Elfie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elfie Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 3:03pm
post #13 of 28

No it would not work with scratch cakes. Scratch cakes are a science and tinkering that much would really through them off. In fact it amazes me the the box mixes still rise with the extender, but thet do rise beautifully. Taste is pretty good-this from someone who thought she would never bake from a box. It's my dirty little secret. Special occasions get scratch, play and practice get a box.

MaryBun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaryBun Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 3:04pm
post #14 of 28

Just to clarify........
Are the extender ingredients used in addition to the other ingredients listed on the box?
For example, if the box calls for three eggs, would you use four? And do you still use the oil that most mixes require?

That probably sounds silly, but I want to be 100% sure before I turn on the oven icon_smile.gif

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 3:10pm
post #15 of 28

That is correct Mary. The extender ingredients are added in addition to the ingredients listed on the box.

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 3:11pm
post #16 of 28

yes, you make the cake according to the box and then add the extender ingrediants. WHen I made mine, it turned 1 box into 8 cups of batter!

You can also use plain yogurt and light sour cream too. I think that they make the cake lighter.

Stephanie

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 3:17pm
post #17 of 28

I like to use a white Jiffy cake mix to extend my batter by a couple of cups. It's worked great for me. I just add the ingredients listed on the box. I made the almond white sour cream cake recently and loved it. To me that's a great extender too. And yummy!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 3:30pm
post #18 of 28

ALL of my cakes that I sell are a box mix with an extender of some kind. They turn out perfectly everytime, and they taste wonderful. I do not trust the scratch cakes - they have let me down too many times. I use what I know will work and get great reviews on. thumbs_up.gif

good36 Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 4:05pm
post #19 of 28

I always use a box cake too Quadcrew. When I can get a cake mix for $1.00 and it taste very good why bother. I am so happy with the cake extender and it's works great on lots of flavors too! Does anyone know any flavor cake it does NOT work well with?
thanks
Judy

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 4:16pm
post #20 of 28

Also, you can use liquid coffee flavorings. I have experienced with this. Ya know how the extender calls for vanilla? Well, I just use about 2 or 3 squirts of french vanilla, toasted marshmallow, butterscotch, etc or whatever sounds good. I have not had one turn out bad! People are like, "WOW!!! This is awesome!"
I used a few squirts of black cherry in with a white cake...it was pink and yummy! Ahhh, the possibilities are endless! icon_smile.gif

newcakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newcakemommy Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 4:20pm
post #21 of 28

Thanks for all the tips!

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 26 Nov 2010 , 9:50pm
post #22 of 28

This was awesome - thanks for the tip, guys!!!

Cappyjoe48 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cappyjoe48 Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 11:04pm
post #23 of 28

A

Original message sent by CarolAnn

If you want a white white cake I'd just use the white of the extra egg, but with anything else use the whole egg. The sour cream makes it a little more dense but oh so good. Actually I think it adds a sort of angel food cake tang, and I like it. I haven't used it on a customer cake yet but my whole family sure loved it.

do you have to increase the time baking?

postexchangecat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
postexchangecat Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 9:15pm
post #24 of 28

Thank you Misdawn for sharing this.

Novie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Novie Posted 26 Apr 2014 , 2:46pm
post #25 of 28

AHi...is this applicable to dark chocolate mix of betty crocker?

Novie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Novie Posted 26 Apr 2014 , 2:51pm
post #26 of 28

A1 c flour

1 c sugar

1 c sour cream

1 egg

and 1 tsp flavoring (optional)[/quote]

Hi...is this applicable to dark chocolate mix of betty crocker?

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 27 Apr 2014 , 5:41am
post #27 of 28

I am going to cost this out.  Seems like these ingredients are as expensive as another box of mix.

nancylee61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancylee61 Posted 27 Apr 2014 , 9:08am
post #28 of 28

AHi, If you are going to put in all this extra stuff, why don't you use the scratch recipe on the site?

http://cakecentral.com/a/a-better-white-scratch-cake

Cake mixes have a lot of unhealthy ingredients, including a type of antifreeze, and this recipe is easy, can be adjusted for yellow or with flavors, and is delicious! I went to a party last night, and could tell the professional baker uses mixes because I could taste the chemicals. Many people who are used to box mixes can't, but any scratch baker can tell in a second.

Give it a try! Become a convert, like I did!

Nancy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%