Real Vanilla Vs Artificial

Baking By vanz Updated 15 Sep 2006 , 10:39am by ladyvader01

vanz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanz Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 11:14pm
post #1 of 17

I always use artificial vanilla flavour in my baking but when I used the real thing I knew that the flavour is much better. Is it economical to use real vanilla extract to cakes for customers? any feedback would be appreciated.

vanz

16 replies
Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 11:24pm
post #2 of 17

I actually read an article once where they blind tasted a bunch of products with both real and artificial, and the artificial won...

that said: I find giant bottles of real madagascar bourbon vanilla at Cosco for like $7.99, so I'm sticking with the real stuff. Something about it being "real"...

Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 31 Aug 2006 , 11:26pm
post #3 of 17

I'm a fan of real vanilla. I just like the flavor a lot better. I only use artificial when I use clear vanilla for white cake or frosting.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 12:22am
post #4 of 17

I always use top quality real vanilla. Fake vanilla is made of tonka bean and wood chips...nasty!!! If someone wants a white cake, I tell them they need fondant.

vanz Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 3:45am
post #5 of 17

I won't have second thoughts then, from now on I will start using the real stuff... thanks!

kansasjill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansasjill Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 3:51am
post #6 of 17

I, too, find the flavor of real vanilla far superior. The "good stuff" is becoming very pricey . I buy large bottles of real vanilla extract at Sam's Club and for the most part am happy with it. I do keep the expensive stuff on hand though for times when vanilla plays a starring role, i.e. creme brulee.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 3:53am
post #7 of 17

You ask if it is more economical to use real vanilla, so let's look at it this way:

You say the cake tastes better than a cake made with imitation vanilla. So where is the economy if you are offering a cake that tastes like one that can be bought at a chain store?

No matter how pretty you can make a cake, they are not going to come back for another one if the first one tastes like metal -- which is the taste artificial vanilla leaves in my mouth.

So, here's the deal -- spend a little more on real vanilla, and sell more cakes. Spend less on imitation vanilla, and spend your days waiting for the phone to ring.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

kansasjill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansasjill Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 4:00am
post #8 of 17

Right on, Theresa! A girl after my own heart.

Rodneyck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rodneyck Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 5:13am
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by homecook

I actually read an article once where they blind tasted a bunch of products with both real and artificial, and the artificial won...

that said: I find giant bottles of real madagascar bourbon vanilla at Cosco for like $7.99, so I'm sticking with the real stuff. Something about it being "real"...

It was probably America's Test Kitchen/Cook's Illustrated. They did a blind test tasting on vanillas with the really good stuff vs. imitation. The imitation won and tasters preferred it, in baked goods especially. In the cake itself, the tasters could not distinguish between the real vs. imitation.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 5:27am
post #10 of 17

I also saw that episode of America's Test Kitchen. Perhaps my palate is more sensitive, but I can not only taste the difference between real and imitation, I can actually smell it in the product, finished and/or while baking. There is no way I would touch the stuff.

If I need a white icing, I use vanilla powder instead. The instructions say to use it equally as you would use liquid vanilla, but I have found it to be overpowering. I use 1/2 teaspoon vanilla powder in lieu of 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

TheKookieWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheKookieWench Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 5:37am
post #11 of 17

I use real vanilla in everything that I bake. Far more superior in taste than the fake stuff.

vanz Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 1:43pm
post #12 of 17

Theresa, although the real stuff is far more superior than the artificial, the latter doesn't taste that bad... I get compliments with the taste of cakes I bake all the time.

newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 5:42pm
post #13 of 17

I must be the "odd ball" out b/c I did a blind taste teste once for a group, and was able to pick out the artificial vs the real. I think perhaps it may be when you are constantly use to the same ingredient, you immediately notice a difference when you change ingredients.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 10:44pm
post #14 of 17

real vanilla is definantly the way to go.

Rachel4228 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachel4228 Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 6:31am
post #15 of 17

No one's mentioned it, so I thought I would. I use Vanilla Bean Paste in all of my baking unless it's a frosting or whipped cream that needs to be a certain color. It gives yellow and white cakes a little something extra when the clients see the Beans in the cake itself. There seems to be a mild taste difference as well, but I seem to be the only one that notices the difference when I use the Paste and when I use the extract.

morg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morg Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 4:32am
post #16 of 17

Alton Brown gave some good info on Mexican Vanilla and imitation vanilla: the tonka bean extract found in both are cancer causing.

icon_surprised.gif

ladyvader01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyvader01 Posted 15 Sep 2006 , 10:39am
post #17 of 17

I use Watkins Original Double-Strength Vanilla. I love it!! It has great flavor. They use Madagascar Bourbon vanilla beans to make it. YUMMY!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%