Filling For Mmf

Decorating By NEWTODECORATING Updated 24 Jun 2005 , 6:04am by nernan

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 2:20pm
post #1 of 8

I know/I know this has probably been discussed to death but I just can't seem to find the answer icon_mad.gif
I have never done a MMF covered cake and want to try my hand at it. My question is what filling to use since from my reading MMF doesn't refridgerate well. I am tired of BC filling and wanted to try something different. I have looked through the forums and see that a few of you have refrigerated MMF cakes for a short (few hours) time with no problems. I have even read almost all of the discriptions in the wedding cake gallery..Most are BC that have fillings.
I would like to make a Bride's white cake with strawberry filling 6 inch round and a choc cake with rasberry filling 10 inch, cover with MMF.
I f I bake today, decorate tommorrow, and deliver to my work on Sat. can this be done? icon_confused.gif This is a for fun, practice, cake.
Thanks for your time and information
Kimberly

7 replies
NEWTODECORATING Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 7:10pm
post #2 of 8

Me again, also wondering at what stage is the BC before I place the MMF? Just before crusting??

NEWTODECORATING Posted 24 Jun 2005 , 12:52am
post #3 of 8

Helloooooo Anyone out there???? I am feeling so unloved. I can't believe it has been almost 12 hours since my first post icon_cry.gif
It is ok though because from the looks of the gallery you were all busy decorating beautiful cakes. I need to read less and do more!!! icon_smile.gif

crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 24 Jun 2005 , 12:59am
post #4 of 8

I am sorry you have not heard from someone. Unfortunately, I am not the someone with an answer. I have done one fondant cake and used buttercream filling.

Don't feel unloved though. I think a lot of people start getting on later in the evening when other chores are done.

C

abbey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abbey Posted 24 Jun 2005 , 1:14am
post #5 of 8

I have filled a cake and covered with MMF and refridgerated without a problem. Your fondant will be firm if you do this but it can be done. If you are going to do this I would suggest using a thicker layer of buttercream under your fondant. People who like MMF will still like it even when it's a little on the firm side. People who don't like MMF will still get the icing they love. And as far as your second question I usually apply my fondant pretty soon after I apply my BC I don't usually wait for it to crust. Hope that helps!

NEWTODECORATING Posted 24 Jun 2005 , 1:33am
post #6 of 8

Thank you so much! My cakes are baked/ BC made/ and I am working on the MMF. I can't wait for tommorrow to put it all together icon_lol.gif

wandy27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wandy27 Posted 24 Jun 2005 , 2:04am
post #7 of 8

Personally I don't like to refrigerate my MMF covered cakes they tend to sweat a little when I do. I haven't done big cakes that may require to store them, I have done small ones and my kids and husband don't give them a break, it goes pretty fast. It all depends how long the cake will last. icon_biggrin.gif
You should cover the cake soon after you frost it cause that will help the fondant stick to your cake. Hope this helps.

Wandy

nernan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nernan Posted 24 Jun 2005 , 6:04am
post #8 of 8

The black cake i did is in mmf and i had to put it in the fridge as it had a cream filling, it was put in the fridge at school and my daughter said it was really hard, 19hrs in a fridge, i think i will let it satnd all day next time as the coldness from the mmf should keep the cream ok.
I took our wedding cake out of the freezer the other day 2 yrs its been in there, its covered in fondant and it went wet looking and sticky, then after about 6 hrs it was back to its original state and tasted great, hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%