NEWTODECORATING Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 2:20pm
post #1 of

I know/I know this has probably been discussed to death but I just can't seem to find the answer icon_mad.gif
I have never done a MMF covered cake and want to try my hand at it. My question is what filling to use since from my reading MMF doesn't refridgerate well. I am tired of BC filling and wanted to try something different. I have looked through the forums and see that a few of you have refrigerated MMF cakes for a short (few hours) time with no problems. I have even read almost all of the discriptions in the wedding cake gallery..Most are BC that have fillings.
I would like to make a Bride's white cake with strawberry filling 6 inch round and a choc cake with rasberry filling 10 inch, cover with MMF.
I f I bake today, decorate tommorrow, and deliver to my work on Sat. can this be done? icon_confused.gif This is a for fun, practice, cake.
Thanks for your time and information
Kimberly

7 replies
NEWTODECORATING Posted 23 Jun 2005 , 7:10pm
post #2 of

Me again, also wondering at what stage is the BC before I place the MMF? Just before crusting??

NEWTODECORATING Posted 24 Jun 2005 , 12:52am
post #3 of

Helloooooo Anyone out there???? I am feeling so unloved. I can't believe it has been almost 12 hours since my first post icon_cry.gif
It is ok though because from the looks of the gallery you were all busy decorating beautiful cakes. I need to read less and do more!!! icon_smile.gif

crp7 Posted 24 Jun 2005 , 12:59am
post #4 of

I am sorry you have not heard from someone. Unfortunately, I am not the someone with an answer. I have done one fondant cake and used buttercream filling.

Don't feel unloved though. I think a lot of people start getting on later in the evening when other chores are done.

C

abbey Posted 24 Jun 2005 , 1:14am
post #5 of

I have filled a cake and covered with MMF and refridgerated without a problem. Your fondant will be firm if you do this but it can be done. If you are going to do this I would suggest using a thicker layer of buttercream under your fondant. People who like MMF will still like it even when it's a little on the firm side. People who don't like MMF will still get the icing they love. And as far as your second question I usually apply my fondant pretty soon after I apply my BC I don't usually wait for it to crust. Hope that helps!

NEWTODECORATING Posted 24 Jun 2005 , 1:33am
post #6 of

Thank you so much! My cakes are baked/ BC made/ and I am working on the MMF. I can't wait for tommorrow to put it all together icon_lol.gif

wandy27 Posted 24 Jun 2005 , 2:04am
post #7 of

Personally I don't like to refrigerate my MMF covered cakes they tend to sweat a little when I do. I haven't done big cakes that may require to store them, I have done small ones and my kids and husband don't give them a break, it goes pretty fast. It all depends how long the cake will last. icon_biggrin.gif
You should cover the cake soon after you frost it cause that will help the fondant stick to your cake. Hope this helps.

Wandy

nernan Posted 24 Jun 2005 , 6:04am
post #8 of

The black cake i did is in mmf and i had to put it in the fridge as it had a cream filling, it was put in the fridge at school and my daughter said it was really hard, 19hrs in a fridge, i think i will let it satnd all day next time as the coldness from the mmf should keep the cream ok.
I took our wedding cake out of the freezer the other day 2 yrs its been in there, its covered in fondant and it went wet looking and sticky, then after about 6 hrs it was back to its original state and tasted great, hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%